Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Two at a time, toe up socks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Two at a time, toe up socks Next Topic  

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile
I ran across a pattern for two-at-a-time socks that are knit from the toe-up. Has anyone tried this and would you have any pointers? I've knit socks before on double points but sometimes end up with the "orphan" sock and don't ever get to the other one... ...I was thinking this would be a good solution. any thoughts?

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  07:32:03 AM  Show Profile
My mother always used that technique when she knitted a sweater, always knitted the sleeves 2 at a time. Same if she knitted cardigans, the 2 front panels always together, and again the sleeves too. That way they always were the same :)

I don't know how to knit socks but I guess it would be a great way to do this :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

http://pinkprincesscreations.blogspot.com/ My Creations blog
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  07:40:06 AM  Show Profile
I have done the cuff down 2 socks at time on 2 circulars.
I liked that method but it was hard to not get laddering with really fine sock yarn. Seemed to work better for bulkier socks.
It is the ONLY way I will knit socks for my son since he has huge feet and I know I would never get the second sock done LOL
The best thing about this method is that they are always exactly the same size
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:14:07 AM  Show Profile
I do this too. my hint: I alwasy take the socks off the circs and put them on DPN's to turn the heel. I find that MUCH easier.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  11:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Maggie, it was the turning the heel that seemed confusing to me. Good idea!

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  04:17:24 AM  Show Profile
I have made alot of socks two at a time, on one circular needle. The only way to do it. I have made them from the top down, or the toe up. Either way works well.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  06:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Do you have any easy beginner sock instructions? I would love to learn how to knit socks...

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:12:02 PM  Show Profile
I just purchased a book that our local yarn shop owner put together complete with step-by-step pictures on this exact subject. I can't wait to try it. I've never had the courage to finish a sock but I think the photos are just what a visual learner like me needs!

Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  07:19:54 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm doing pretty well with the two-at-a-time sock technique but I'm really frustrated because my stitches kind-of "catch" where the needle and cable meet. Any suggestions on a brand of cabled needles that are better with having a smooth join at the needle/cable? I'm not sure what brand I am using - bamboo needle that I purchased last year at Hobby Lobby. They weren't very expensive so I should have expected that I would have a problem. I just need some guidance on a good brand.

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  07:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi star-schipp,
I think you may be talking about circular needles? If so, I purchased entire sets of cirular needles (size 0 - 15) off of Ebay from this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/BambooKnitting and I've loved them all no problems. The whole set runs you around $30 if I remember correctly. If you're willing to spend the money though, Addi makes very nice drool-worthy metal circulars. http://www.paradisefibers.net/Addi-Turbo-Knitting-Needles-s/129.htm?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc Here's one site I found. Good luck!

Sister #1213

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~

Edited by - Nigella on Jan 20 2011 07:53:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  08:01:42 AM  Show Profile
For those of you just starting out on socks I found YouTube to be an excellent resource! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQMGCo_mXY&feature=feedf hopefully that takes you to the right place, if not, try searching for How to Knit Socks Part 1 by dorret. She's got 3 or 4 parts. Watch it a couple of times and then just jump in and knit along with her. Socks make a lot more sense when you just go for it.... does that make sense??

Sister #1213

~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile
I second the Addi Turbo knitting needles. I love them. My MIL and SILs all swear by Knitpick's line of needles (www.knitpicks.com). I've never used them so I can't give an opinion. If you plan to be serious about knitting I highly recommend getting your needles at a knitting store or online instead of a craft store so you get better quality needles. The Addi Turbos can be expensive but IMHO worth every cent compared to the ones I'd gotten years ago when I first started knitting. Also try knitting on different types of needles (bamboo, metal, etc.) to see which gives you the best feel. I thought I preferred bamboo for all my knitting but have found I prefer the metal needles for sock making and for making dishclothes.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile
You can now buy Addi needles on Ebay too. I too like using metal needles to make socks. I really like the Aero dp knitting needles for knitting socks. I have various types of circular needles, some I like and some just sits in the drawer.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  1:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
addi needles

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my blog http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my store http://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageThreads
facebook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Sunshines-Creations/104230882941628
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  2:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Since I posted a reply, I've tried Addis and knitpicks fixed circulars and I love both. Knitpick's a little bit better because of the price ;). Knitpicks will also replace the needles if they break, I have no idea if Addi does the same thing or not.

Sister #1213

Handmade and vintage goodies

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. ~ Elizabeth Zimmermann
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Two at a time, toe up socks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page