Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How do you love the Earth? Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  9:07:38 PM  Show Profile
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately--the Earth gives us everything we need to grow and thrive--rain to bless the fertile lands, plants that give us oxygen, mountains to inspire us, lakes for swimming and fishing, caves for exploring, night and day for rest and activity--but how do we show our love for the Earth in return? I've been spending a lot of time lately just staring at the sky, whether it's criss-crossed by clouds or sparkling with stars. And I just feel so full of gratitude that the Earth is ours to love and cherish and I feel so angry and sad that some people see it as a dumping ground for all kinds of toxins and what have you. Some people shrug it off with claims that the hereafter is our true home, but I can't imagine a hereafter without trees, and green grass, and animals, and birdsong--they say you don't really appreciate what you have till it's gone. I just pray that that never happens, because this Earth is pure gift, and if we humans abuse it, I don't think God is going to be too understanding. So how do you show your love for the Earth?
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  07:03:08 AM  Show Profile
i show love for the earth by following the simple principles that make it work correctly. i also give thanks to whom i believe is the creator of the earth Jehovah God. He promises to never bring to ruin the earth. the he created it to be inhabited. our Lords prayer says kingdom come on earth as is in heaven. i believe he will restore the earth to a healthy place for the meek to inherit. i want to live here well and whole and enjoy all he created for man. that is my hope. to be one of the metk who inherit this wonderful fine earth created just for man to live and enjoy and care for with purpose. i so love the trees and animals and being out in it. when the sun is going down and i am milking belle and all is good. what a fine thing for sure. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  09:00:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Prariehawk; I show her my love by feeding her only good things and actually telling her how appreciative I am of all she provides. Call me a kook but I love the feel, smell and sounds of the good earth, spring, creek, river and ocean, grass, trees and I do talk to the land and the sky and trees and the water. I do try live everyday mindfull of the whole environment. I think it's so important to realize how interconnected the earth and all creatures are and if we don't take care of it all, well we can't survive without it, it really is the only planet we've got.

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  09:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
As a Chrisitian I take responsible use of the earth very seriously. In Genesis, we are given dominion over the land and creatures...which means we are charged with her care. In my daily life, I try to be very aware of what I consume and the amout of waste it creates. In my art, I use mostly vintage and recycled materials so not to add to the cycle of consumption and waste.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  2:41:21 PM  Show Profile
As a Christian, I also believe we need to be good stewards of the earth and all the gifts that she provides for us.

I've listened to many Christians talk like they have no regard for the earth, because as you stated Cindy, they believe our true home is somewhere else in the future.

This is so upsetting to me and at times I think of myself as a rebellious Christian because I can't get with the "program"

I call the sounds of the country, "country music" and they really are music to my ears. I love to get my hands into good soil and I love the smell of good soil.

And I'm good with the weather. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. And I'm OK with that.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  3:56:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad that their are other Christians who feel the way I do about our Earth, cause I often feel like rebelling against the ones who act as though it doesn't matter. I can even recall a song that got a lot of airplay on Christian stations that contained the line "We are not of this world". We ARE of this world, we couldn't come up with a better home no matter how hard we tried. and we really are all interconnected, the people, the animals, the mountains, the oceans--the weather this past year has been strange, and I hear other people saying the same thing. Maybe the Earth is telling us something; are we listening? And those of us who are, can we teach others to do so? People used to listen, but life has gotten so fast-paced that many have forgotten how. I hope everyone who reads this will take the time to listen to the night, to the stars, to the wind, to the trees--turn off that TV, light a candle and just watch it burn. I know it may sound weird, but maybe we need more "weird" people. Just a thought.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile
You are right Cindy, I feel that the earth is talking to us and asking us to come back and to care for it. We are, or should be stewards of this earth, not predators of it. I listen to the earth, avoid bringing harm to it if at all possible and work to lighten my foot prints on her surface. I love the wind through the grass, the stars in the velvet night sky, the first snow flakes, the sound of the creek as it passes my home. I try to plant and work organically in my life and love the earth with all of my heart. We only have one earth and we need to take care of it. We are a part of the earth, not apart from the earth...let it be.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  7:03:24 PM  Show Profile
I may have a different perspective than some, I guess. As a Christian, I also appreciate the gift of this earth which God has created and given us and in which He placed us to live according to His principles. I believe that we are to take care of our earthly surroundings just the same way that we should take care of our homes. We keep them clean, pleasant to live in and overflowing with love for those inside and we try not to waste our resources. Our homes are just a small piece of the bigger picture called Earth. As an artist, I do think too, that we have to be careful that we remember who created and maintains the earth. There is nothing that man can do that God can't fix. In all of my artwork, if something gets broken, ripped or chipped, I can fix it back to a piece of art that may be the same or even better. God does the same thing with His creation. We are to honor God by being careful with His work of art. But even more, we are to be careful that we don't "worship the created rather than the creator."

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  6:08:01 PM  Show Profile
I liked what you wrote, Prariehawk!
I show my love for the Earth by taking care of it the best I can -doing a lot of things others have mentioned already.
I also try to teach others to take care of Earth as well. As a seventh grade science teacher, I try to set a good example and show my students what it means to be good stewards of our planet!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  03:18:56 AM  Show Profile
And as Christians, every day is earth day. We don't need others to tell us how we ought to do this and that, b/c we already do it simply by following God's instruction

AND we worship the CREATOR, NOT the stuff that was created
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  07:14:58 AM  Show Profile
As a christian i thank god everyday for beauty that is this earth. Everyday it is like a beautiful paniting in the sky and always something new everday. God has entrusted us to take care of his land till he calls us home.

God is good all the time!!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How do you love the Earth? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page