Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Research question Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  12:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Ok Ladies, I need your help. I'm working on a novel. You are wondering why I put the question here? Bare with me.

I write fantasy novels and have a group of 16-18 year olds trying to tap magic so they can heal the land from the "bad guys". Big deal as no crops can be grown at this point. The kids can perform various spells but healing magic is new to them, and they are trying to find a way to make it work. One of them remembers that his old master used to give him mint tea when he was sick and he uses that to be able to reach the magic and thus heal the land. But each apprentice is different and one is more of a cook. To him the land feels like the wrong mix of spices or that some that have gone rancid.

So my thought is that my main character that uses the mint tea asks the cook what he would do if he accidentally added rancid spices to a soup. How would he make it better?

So my question, besides throwing it out, if you realized that you used the wrong combination of spices or that one was bad, how would you make the soup/stew better?

I'm not enough of a spice cook to be able to figure this out, but really am hoping you all can help.

Thanks much,
Laurie

Best Growing

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  3:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Laurie,
You might find an idea here http://www.howtodothings.com/food-and-drink/a2462-how-to-fix-common-cooking-mistakes.html
It tells you how to fix too salty, too spicy, but the last one tells you how to neuatralize something that too acidic.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  3:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, I hope you get some help on this one. I used a little too much rosemary the other day in a soup. It was good but I wish I had known what would have made it less rosemaryish. And I love rosemary.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  06:51:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Kathy. That site gave me a few ideas.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Research question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page