Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 good inxepensive pressure canner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic good inxepensive pressure canner Next Topic  

laura58
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Laura
Elk WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  6:00:37 PM  Show Profile
This is the second year I have canned, and I have only done boiling water bath canning. I didn't know if I could use a pressure canner on my stove since I have a glass top electric radiant one. I called GE and they said I can pressure can on it. Now I need to get a pressure canner for next year. Can anyone out there tell me a good inexpensive brand? I don't need a humungus on since it's only my husband and myself. Thanks in advance.

Laura
http://livinginasnow-globe.blogspot.com

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  7:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Good question! I would love to know too.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  7:58:18 PM  Show Profile
I have had my canner for years and I absolutely love it. I got it from the extension office back in 1977 for $65. It is a Mirro 12 qt canner which is not huge (it holds 7-8 quarts depending on the jars) and it has a weight rather than a guage. I love that. It means that I don't have to have the guage tested each year. The weight has 5, 10 and 15 lbs on it and you just put it on the release valve at the appropriate pressure poundage. I know that I have seen them on ebay and I would venture to say that Mirro still produces them.

Hope that helps.
Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

laura58
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Laura
Elk WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  8:24:09 PM  Show Profile
My mom has a regular pressure cooker that she has had forever that has the weights. We always called the weights a dancer when we were kids because it looked like it was dancing. I didn't know you had to have the pressure gauge tested every year. Do they have more than 1 rack so you can stack pint jars?

Laura
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  8:45:23 PM  Show Profile
I have the one from Walmart, it's a Presto brand, and it's good for glass-top stoves. I've pressure canned with it for 3 years, and it's been great. It was under $60. It has the weights, which I really like.
Go to Top of Page

laura58
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Laura
Elk WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  8:57:13 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to go check them out. I think I'd rather have the weights. Under $60.00 is a good price.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  12:31:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, wow! I had been wondering what kind of pressure canner to get, too; but I had given up on the whole idea because I had read somewhere that a pressure canner couldn't be used on a glass top stove. Thank you all so very much for this information - I'm so excited! Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  08:18:49 AM  Show Profile
I found this website that explains about canning on glasstop stoves. I am not sure what they mean by a "flat-bottomed canner" unless they are talking about a waterbath having both types. As far as I know, all pressure canners are flat-bottomed. Anyway, thought this might help:
http://www.pickyourown.org/cannings4glasstop.htm
Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

laura58
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Laura
Elk WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  12:27:31 PM  Show Profile
I look at the pickyourown site all the time. I have it bookmarked as it's one of my go to for imformation sites. My water bath canner doesn't have a flat bottom and it works great. The GE people didn't tell me anything about flat bottom pots, just make sure they are not overhanging the burner by more than an inch. Hot a problem, since one of my burners ahs 2 different sizes on it and the largest size just happens to be the size of my canner. Sometimes, I think maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew and I really think it would have been nice if I had the oppertunity to do all this when I was younger with more energy and the kids at home. Better late than never, I guess.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  12:37:17 PM  Show Profile
After children is the perfect time! :-) I'm there myself. The thing I noticed on that site was their reasoning about pressure canning and the glass top stoves. Something about a sensor? It said that it keeps the stove from getting hot enough to keep a steady pressure on the canner. That would be a problem because it has to stay hot and pessurized or bacteria can grow. However, I don't think that there's an issue with the bottom because every pressure canner I've seen has a flat bottom. Good luck and just remember, you only get old when you stop learning something new!!!! :-)
Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic good inxepensive pressure canner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page