Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cooking for kids Next Topic  

applesaucemom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rebekah

37 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  10:04:51 AM  Show Profile
I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I have gone through great lengths to feed my family, especially my toddler as healthy as possible. I have a blog that has lots of kid friendly recipes for the entire family. Also, I have only been learning how to cook for about 3 years now. Since I had my first son, it really hit me what we put into our bodies. But it took me lots of time to convince family and friends that my child does not need candy, fast food, etc. Of course he has some things in moderation and rarely. For instance, every once in a while we will eat at Chick fil-A but it is a constant struggle to be consistant with having him eat healthy especially if we are around other people. I have heard things such as," oh he's just a kid, let him have some candy," or "Poor thing, he hasn't had mcdonald's yet.." Have any of you encountered the same sort of struggles when feeding your children? I can only imagine how it will be when they go to school!

my blog: www.applesaucemom.blogspot.com

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  10:10:22 AM  Show Profile
Yes I had the same thing when my kids were little. I even had a son who had allergies & it still didn't stop. You just have to stand your ground & know that what you are doing is for the benefit of your kids! Go for it!!!! A healthy child is a great thing!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  10:40:31 AM  Show Profile
YES!!! I have 7 kids and have always tried my best to feed them well, avoid sugar and fast food and get a ton of flack about it!! All of my kids are amazingly healthy and have great dental checkups as well...seems like that would be good proof if nothing else but still..even husband isn't always totally on board (hard to be totally on board when you have a dr. pepper in your hand!) so I get it from both family and friends. BUT...my youngest four kids are so good about eating healthy now as teenagers even when friends don't understand. My daughters especially are so funny about "educating" their friends about what they eat. I love it. They certainly don't feel deprived!
AND...my oldest son is sure picky about what HIS kids eat!!
I think it is so worth it!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  11:59:06 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I've had those struggles...with my mother, mainly. And bless her, our sitter often give our daughter soda, which is is something I don't even drink and it makes me crazy. I've suggested, asked politely, everything short of saying, "don't do that!". My mom always thinks I'm being a kill-joy when I request that she not eat fries for lunch. "all kids love potatoes!" she says...well, then how about one in an actual potato form, please?????

The problem that I do have is that our 22 month old won't eat anything unless it's spaghetti, craisins, mashed potatoes, or fries. We went from eating healthily as an infant to eating not much of anything as a toddler. And it's very frustrating to watch her waste food she ate last week, but is not throwing around the plate or giving it over the side of her tray to the dogs.

I'm not a short order cook and I don't plan on being one, but I need to find a sure-fire way to get this child to eat more than carbs!!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  12:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

Oh man! I so sympathize! Nora went through that phase as well! It's SO frustrating. Sometimes what we would do is make homemade chicken nuggets (really easy, just a flour dredge and then a quick pan cook/fry). Still not super healthy but a bit more so than the mystery meat at fast food places. Then it looks like *ugh* fries but then she realizes that she likes the taste.

Sometimes I think that adult food isn't seasoned properly for kids too. Adults enjoy different flavors so make sure things aren't too hot and spicy for instance.

Another thing we do is be silly like Doug and I will feed each other and act like it is ambrosia which then makes Nora want us to pop something into her mouth. It becomes a game and a family bonding activity too.

We also make sure to offer things in very small amounts so instead of a whole portion being wasted it's only two broccoli florets or something. If it turns out that she likes it- then we can give her more.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  12:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee..
I did make her some homemade "fish sticks" a few days ago that she devoured. And she's really into condiments and sauces right now, so I thought, "Lightbulb!" put veggie sticks and things on her plate she can dip. But, she just sticks her fingers into the sauce and sucks on them. She also has this "fake out" thing where she picks up a piece of quesadila or whatever, brings it up to her mouth, opens her mouth and makes this "bite" motion and acts like she's chewing....NOTHING. It's maddening!

I read an article by Dr. Sears that suggested an ice cube tray with little bits of food in each spot. I thought I might give it a shot--he suggests raisins, small pieces of fruit, cheese cubes, sunflower seeds, nuts, etc...heck, if she ends up eating bird seed for dinner, it's got to be better than french fries!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  9:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I think that is a great idea. Also remember to breathe and know that this too shall pass. Nora was an air fern too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  06:33:33 AM  Show Profile
When my kids were young and we lived in Hawaii we had "bento" lunches. It was common there and quite fun. It is a japanese way to pack lunches, or any meal, where you dress the meal up, molding rice, cutting your basic PB&J into shapes, etc. Just google bento and it can open up a whole bunch of new ideas. I learned years ago you can't fix your family, my folks would sneak the kids out to eat meat, because they thought our diet would stunt their growth and brains. Both boys are over six feet and smart when they want to be!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cooking for kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page