kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  08:02:26 AM  Show Profile
I have been noticing lots of rose hips along the road I have been walking. So this morning I brought some clippers and got a bag full. I looked it up and see they are full of good stuff. Mainly Vit. C. And they protect against cancer and heart disease. Also they have anti-inflammatory properties. Plus antioxidants. The rose hips from Rugosa and Dog rose have more Vit. C than citrus. They are also a useful treatment for flu like infections, diarrhea and various urinary tract infections. And they are a good diuretic and laxative. And they are free! That's the best part. I read that it's best to harvest after the first frost so they have the best flavor and are sweeter. Because they can be eaten and you can make jelly. There are so many uses for them.

To make a tea just boil dried or crushed rose hips 10 minutes. About 2 T. per pint of water.

I am going to put mine in the dehydrator and dry them so I can save them easier.

Does anyone else use them or know more about them? I also read they help people who have knee joint pain.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  08:07:09 AM  Show Profile
I have two rose bushes but they haven't produced hips. Maybe they are a strange hybrid or something. I do plan to plantmsome roses in the near future solely for their rosehips!!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  09:13:28 AM  Show Profile
I did read where you should let the roses stay on the bushes so they will have the rose hips. If you trim the flowers off they will not produse rose hips. They are the seed pod from the flowers. You probably already knew that. But just thought I would add that.

I really do not like rose bushes. They seem to not like me also. I usually come out looking like I have been attacked by a wild animal. Just dripping blood. The same with blackberries. Hate them. But I think I will look for the Rugosa rose bushes just for the rose hips now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  1:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Here in Alaska we have wild roses and they produce hips like crazy. Yes they do bite. I always approach them with heavy pants and heavy long sleeved shirts. But the hips are very good and you can make jelly from them as well as tea. You can also dry them and then make tea from them.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  2:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Is it better to use them dried and crushed for tea? I am boiling some fresh right now and they seem really hard. They aren't very big either. These are from wild roses too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  9:16:20 PM  Show Profile
i grow Rugosa roses just for the hips. well they smell beautiful too. they work better for jelly if you let them get a little nipped by frost. i dry them for tea. they are packed with so many good things!

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  06:48:46 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, do you crush the berries for tea or keep them whole. I am drying mine right now. I have a layer of mint on the bottom. My house should smell really good soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  08:32:40 AM  Show Profile
I tend to give them a little pinch, but not break them open so all the little seeds don't come out.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Rose Hips Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page