Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How hard would it be for you to......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How hard would it be for you to...... Next Topic
Page: of 2

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  1:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Without Electricity

Without Indoor plumbing *** spent many winter days without this and survived.

Walking or riding a horse and/or buggy instead of a car or bus ***would love to do this vs. a vehicle

Growing your own food and canning *** Already do this

Sewing your clothes *** sew many items, and could sew my own clothes for sure.

Splitting wood for a wood heating or cookstove *** Already do this for heating and plan to invest in a wood cookstove in the future

Actually cooking on a woodstove *** I plan to take a class on how to do this, and could live this way.

Taking care of chickens or other farm animals *** Already care for chickens, plan to add goats, jersey cow and horse

It's not rocket science to do these things. It takes time and very hard work that most people are not willing to do.

Farmgirl #800

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  06:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to note on the electricity -
One year, during winter, our meter blew up on the utility pole. The people before us never upgraded the box when they added onto the farm house. We were without any electricity for a few days, and my daughter had a 103°F temperature. We survived, and found ways to cook and of course we already had our wood stove. We did a lot of reading, writing, and talking around the fireplace, and TV wasn't missed that much. It was missed in running the water pump to provide water, but luckily I had stored water in empty tidy cat containers for flushing toilets, and had water for drinking in gallon jugs. To survive without is possible, you have to be creative, and find other ways to cook, etc. We had oil lamps and candles for lighting as well.

Farmgirl #800

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  12:03:47 PM  Show Profile
It would be more work than we (I) are used to. I do love modern conveniences like on demand running water and flush toliets. But if I had to get used to life without modern amenities I could do it.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  1:17:38 PM  Show Profile
I think I would do fine. It would take some adjusting. I think it is the having and then not having that would be the hardest. If you were raised to never have these things I am sure it would be much easier.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How hard would it be for you to...... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page