Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Please teach me about persimmons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Please teach me about persimmons Next Topic  

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  10:00:59 AM  Show Profile
I'd really like to make the persimmon breads in the MJF magazine. I've only eaten one once and it was fr from ripe.

Yesterday I bought a few to use in the recipe. I got the softest, orangest ones available. I tried one just now but it had a strange texture. Almost made my mouth feel dry. Is that normal?

So please tell me all I need to know. How to prepare, choose, etc.

Thanks a ton!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  04:31:07 AM  Show Profile
I don't know much about prepare them, yet, but from what you described, it sounds like it wasn't quite ripe. From the times I have tried them, when they are still not quite ready that dry, velcro type feeling is what I have experienced too. I've been told not to pick them, but to wait until they fall from the tree themself. We have three trees, so I need to find ways to make use of them also. I was glad to see the recipes in the magazine, too.

They are so delicious, yummy sweet when you get a good one. Let me know how your bread turned out. Blessings.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.saxonlutheranmemorial.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  07:52:43 AM  Show Profile
Persimmons should be sickly sweet and the consistency of a ripe banana. It sounds to me like the ones you bought were not ripe. I bet if you put them out on the counter for several days, they will ripen and you can still use them. Here in Oklahoma, persimmons are everywhere. The deer get fat on them. They are ripe and ready right now! :-)
Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  09:20:36 AM  Show Profile
You can use them in any recipe that works for bananas. They make a dense, very moist cookie or pan bread. Love persimmons!
And yes, they need to be ripe almost to the point of becoming wine before you use them!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  9:34:24 PM  Show Profile
I just got a persimmon from the market, too! Will the skin be soft (like a ripe avocado) when ripe? Does color matter for ripeness, too? Do you peel it first before using it? The one I got is very firm, and bright orange. Are there seeds inside or a pit?

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  9:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Large domestic persimmons from the store will have one large pit. They are ready to use when they are VERY soft. Think too soft in an avocado. You can use the peel but I don't because it's very tough. I make a slit and scoop out the insides, discarding the pit. In wild persimmons, there can be several small seeds. Some country folks try to predict the winter weather by whether there are seeds that look like forks or spoons in the fruit. I've never been able to keep it all straight. Usually, the possums always got the persimmons in our woods before they were ready for human palates.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  2:36:41 PM  Show Profile
The weather predicting is a fun aspect of finding or having persimmons. We usually check several seeds and this year it's all spoons here. The way I've been told is this: if you find a fork it will be a light winter because you can't hold much with a fork, if you find a knife it will be a cold sharp winter and if you see a spoon, get your boots and shovels ready because it there will be lots of snow. I'm amazed at how many people ask about the "seed predictions" and when you split open the seed, there is no guessing what shape it is, the inside of the seed is white and the utencil will be a darker distinct shape near the bottom. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's for sure a fun way to look towards the coming season. So we shall see....

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.saxonlutheranmemorial.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Please teach me about persimmons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page