Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Stuff. Oreck Heaters. And Vacuum. Just Ramblin'.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Stuff. Oreck Heaters. And Vacuum. Just Ramblin'. Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  4:04:28 PM  Show Profile
I was at K-Mart yesterday. I just got to thinking about all the stuff that fills that store up. And I got to wondering, where does it all come from? There has to be millions of factories that make all this stuff. And it never runs out. Ever. There is always more stuff when they run out at the stores. A never ending supply of stuff. It's just amazing. I want to go see where all this stuff comes from.

Then we decided to go to the Oreck store today. We have seen the new radiant heaters everyone is talking about. Well, they aren't all that new. I went last year to look at them. They are about $400.00. So I didn't get one. I wish I had back then. I think I would have been warmer. And spent a lot less on the heating bills. Plus propane for the fireplace.

So anyway, we got one. I am glad. But to get the 12 months with no interest we had to spend more than $500. Because we aren't rich and have to get stuff on credit. I needed a vacuum cleaner as mine has not worked in a long time. So long that my area rug in my bedroom was a different color. So we got a vacuum too. A really nice brand new swivel one. I have always had Oreck vacuums. I like them alot. This one practically pulls me. It's great.

We haven't had our heat on yet at all. I am not going to til it gets under 45 at night. We might plug this new heater in to see how it works. But it really has not been that cold in the house. And there are always lots of blankets to cover up in.

So has anyone else gotten this heater? There were all kinds of people in the store while we were there buying them. Rich people with cash or cards. And how about the vacuum?

Also we went to the new Walmart in Tiftonia where our daughter is now working. Our daughter who just recently graduated from 8 years of college. She works 2 jobs now. Her day job is at a textile plant. Then she goes to Walmart the rest of the day. Anyway, I was very impressed with how nice that store was. Bear in mind that I have not stepped foot in a Walmart in a very long time. But she seems to like the job. She has done a little of everything so far. She mixed paint for a guy from church yesterday. But again, I was amazed at even MORE stuff there. Just amazing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  5:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Your right Kris there sure is a lot of stuff!! I just wish at least some of it could be made here in the US again. It's funny though a friend of mine has both the heater and the same vacuum you have! She really likes them both. The vacuum is very easy for her to use, which is good because she is 96! Still in her own home, still doing a lot of her own cleaning. She says it's the only vacuum that she would have. The heater saved her a lot on her heating bills last year, I think you will be really happy with it. It wasn't costly to use either. It makes a big difference in her comfort level. I was just thinking about your daughter, 8 yrs. of college and she has to work 2 jobs. That is sad. So many of the college grads are facing that today. It is really scary, then they owe all the money for the loans. I hope you enjoy your heater and vacuum. I think you will find they are worth the expense. Have a good night.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9399 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9399 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  5:38:47 PM  Show Profile
I wonder more where it goes than where it comes from. Lots of our stuff we buy in the US comes from China.

I have an Oreck upright and I love it. I will never buy another brand. I have had it for quite a few years already and it still seems to run great. I also have a hand held mixer that I got as a gift when I bought the vacuum. It is wonderful and very handy for the small jobs as I keeps me from using the big mixer and having to clean all that up for a small job.

Let us know how you like the heater. I would really be interested to know how well they work too.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  6:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Please let me know how you like your vacuum - I could use a new one, but I really don't like uprights! My sister has an older Orek and I'm not crazy about it. But she loves it! I think the fact that it is an upright might be my problem
We are going to get quite cold here Thursday night, predicting 26! We had real heavy frost yesterday, looked like it had snowed!
Think you might get to try out your new heater!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  6:39:02 PM  Show Profile
That's a good point, Denise. Our landfills are quite full now. I wonder about that alot. What next? While we were at the Oreck store I had to run outside to grab a plastic bag blowing across the parking lot. I remember seeing a video on Youtube about the elusive plastic bag and it's trip to the ocean. So sad.

I bought a brand new Oreck about 20 something years ago. I got the hand held free. The vacuum quit working abaout a year ago. My step dad gave me theirs that he got at a pawn shop for $20. It worked a little while til the belt kept breaking. I still use the hand held though.

Mary Jane, that's so neat your friend is still cleaning and doing things herself at 96. I have a dear friend who is 93 and thinks she's the oldest living person on the planet. I hope if I live that long that I can still vacuum. Or at least be able to pay someone to do it for me.

Ruth, you could use this vacuum. It practically does it all itself. It's really easy and light. It has a handle in the middle that makes it almost feel alot lighter than it is. Very handy. I like the uprights because the canisters make me mad. All that stuff to drag around. Mrs. T has a new Electrolux. I hate that thing. It shuts off after a few minutes. It's very annoying. And heavy. And had so much to go with it.

I guess we'll be using the heater sooner than we thought if it's going to be that cold. We plugged it in and turned it on awhile ago. Set it on 68. It's already turned off. But I can really feel it. I just hope it will heat the downstaires.It's supposed to heat up to 1000 S.F. If it will help the electric bill, it will be well worth it. It's supposed to only cost about $1. a day to use. We'll see.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  7:28:38 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I work indirectly for TSC, am sure you have Tractor Supply close to you....anyway, we are selling the heaters you are talking about, we have had one turned on here and there to demonstrate it, and it makes a difference in our cold drafty store!! My brother and his wife have two and they love them. They look nice also, almost like a piece of furniture. Hope you're happy with yours!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile
You're right. There is just too much stuff out there, period!!!!
I remember a few years ago when I first took our then Spanish exchange student to the grocery store. She almost fainted because of all the stuff. She was here for a year and never got used to it.
I must admit, after visiting Spain; it is much simpler and les stressful to go to small markets where almost everything is local.
Love the locavore movement here, now
I like on the MJ calendar that the day after Thanksgiving is callled "Buy Nothing Day" instead of Black Friday. I'm all in favor of that
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  3:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Suzie, I go to TS all the time. I'll have to look next time I go. I wonder if they have the Eden Pure (?) brand.

Michele, I have never been to other countries, but I am sure they are nothing like we are here. I wish it were simpler here. But we are in the land of plenty. And I can see it all over the roads and people's yards.

We are having a hard time figuring this heater out. I was gone all day but hubby was here. He said that thing kept coming on all day. He turned it down to 58 and it still kept coming on. I guess it will be ok though because the rest if the week will be cold with really cold nights. And even a chance of flurries on Friday. But the house sure is warm. The thermostat says 70 right now. After being at Mrs. T's all day where she keeps hers set at 76, this actually feels good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Stuff. Oreck Heaters. And Vacuum. Just Ramblin'. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page