Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  9:02:34 PM  Show Profile
As a granddaughter of a "woman's suffrager", I hope I am not crossing any lines on the forum by reminding all farmgirls to vote on November 2. I received an email today reminding me of all that they went through and thought I would pass it on. While you may not think your vote matters, it does indeed! I don't know what you may or may not know about their history but here's one story of it.

On November 10, 1917 a large picket demonstration of women suffrager's took place outside of the White House of then President Woodrow Wilson. They were picketing the fact that Alice Paul and a few others had been arrested and given a harsh sentence. That night, thirty one additional women were arrested. Two of these were Dora Lewis and Lucy Burns. The women were sentenced to varying terms at Occoquan Workhouse in Occoquan Va. Burns received the harshest sentence of six months.

November 15, 1917 is called "The Night of Terror" as that was the night the women who had been arrested on the 10th were transferred to Occoquan. The Workhouse Superintendent, Raymond Whittaker, had just returned from a meeting at the White House and refused to grant political prisoner status to any of the women and he allows a brutal reception for the ladies. Guards burst into holding areas and drag, carry, push, and beat women into their cells. Lucy Burns was handcuffed to her cell all night with her arms above her head. Julia Emory shows support and sympathy by assuming the same position.

Dora Lewis is hurled into a dark cell, smashing her head against an iron bed and was knocked out. Her cellmate thought she was dead and suffered a heart attack. Later affidavits describe guards grabbing, dragging, beating, choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking the women. The next day 16 women go on a hunger strike. For weeks the women's only water came from an open pail. Their food, all of it colorless slop, was infested with worms.

November 21, 1917 Occoquan officials begin to force feed leaders Lucy Burns and Dora Lewis followed by Elizabeth McShane. Unable to pry open Burn's mouth, officials insert a glass tube up her nostril, causing significant bleeding and pain. McShane develops stomach ulcers and a gall bladder infection.

At one point before the November 10th picket, Alice Paul was taken to a psychiatric ward at the hospital and Pres. Wilson and Supt. Whittaker were hoping to have the Dr. declare her insane. The Dr. refused. Alice Paul was strong, he said, and brave. That didn't make her crazy. The Dr. admonished the men. "Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity".

You can find out more about this at:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/suffrage/nwp/prisoner_gallery.html

Thank you kindly!
Ginny aka: Oggie

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.ning.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  04:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the reminder! I feel it is an obligation and an honor to vote. Last months Cluck had a wonderful article about our Sister Suffragettes that MaryJane wrote. Wild horses couldn't keep me away from the voting booth on Tuesday.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  1:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I loved the article in last month's Cluck! We already voted by mail!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  8:30:50 PM  Show Profile
"crossing lines" ?....Heck NO!!! I proudly wore my "I VOTED TODAY" sticker today....watching election results as I type.

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  8:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I remember when I first read about these women and what they went through. I knew they protested but never knew the horrible things they went through. It sickens me, really. It makes me proud of woman-hood but astonished at the treatment that happened.
I hope we never forget and always let others know what they went through.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  07:53:25 AM  Show Profile
There is no way I would not vote after all these brave, brilliant women went through to assure we have that right! I hammer away at my daughter, grand daughters and and girlfriends. I proudly wore my sticker too.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  9:29:53 PM  Show Profile
I proudly wore mine too although sadly, I was only going home after I voted! lol

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.ning.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic November 2, 2010 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page