JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  8:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Barefoot Sisters: Southbound and Barefoot Sisters: Walking Home by Lucy and Susan Letcher. They are the autobiographical accounts of two twenty-something sisters who hiked the Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia in their bare feet (for most of the way, until it got too cold and snowy), and once they got to the end in Georgia, turned around and walked all the way back! It was a highly entertaining read. Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail has been a dream of mine for years, and it was great to read about what life on the trail is really like from the standpoint of a woman!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  9:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like it would be fun to hike the Appalachian Trail. I remember seeing it when I was young and it filled me with a sense of yearning. but I don't know if I could do it in my bare feet---moccasins, perhaps?
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  10:19:05 AM  Show Profile
They did it barefoot because (1) they enjoy going barefoot, and (2) they thought it provided better traction. They did hike much slower than their shod counterparts and even admitted when they wore shoes they hiked faster. And they talked a lot about how hiking barefoot made them famous along the trail. Everyone wanted to touch their feet or poke their soles with a stick. I was thinking today they might have worn those "barefoot" shoes they have now, the ones that look like aqua-socks but with individual toes. That might be a happy medium. Even so, I'm sticking with my boots! Too afraid of stepping on a snake or something.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Barefoot Sisters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page