Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Iowa, Illinois & Wis. Farmgirls--I'm jealous!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Iowa, Illinois & Wis. Farmgirls--I'm jealous!!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  2:05:26 PM  Show Profile
I spent 4 days in the Rockford (IL) area with my aunt and she took us to Blain's Farm and Fleet...all 3 stores that are near her home and I'm so jealous. Do any of you gals shop this store?

I couldn't believe the stuff we bought for absolutely nothing--great clearance (a ladies Carhart barn jacket (blanket lined) for $30.00--originally $100) and the Toyland for Christmas toy shopping was just amazing. Lots of American made toys that were even less expensive than the ones made in China (???) Violet is going to be one happy little farmgirl!!!

I'm VERY envious. All we have here is Tractor Supply and it's a closet in comparison. You lucky farmgirls!!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  3:04:44 PM  Show Profile
I shop there all the time! My all in one favorite store. Actually the home of Blain's Farm and Fleet is right here in Janesville, WI. I get all my canning supplies there as well as rabbit feed, tools, clothing, boots, hunting gear, etc...Love It!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  7:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Oo! That sounds awesome. I've never heard of them. We have Tractor Supply too. Can't even get a Trader Joe's here so I doubt that Blain's will give us a look either. :-)
Mary Beth
Okie Farm Girl

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  03:41:11 AM  Show Profile
There isn't one close to the city. We visit when we go camping some times. I hear they have the best Christmas sales.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  06:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Diane, it's the best store. Again, I'm really jealous! I knew they started in WI, but wasn't sure where. I plan on getting my Aunt a giftcard (which you can buy on line, how cool!) for Christmas, so that she can buy her bird feed and stuff like that. I really just found the selection really wonderful, and the prices unbelievable.

Mary Beth--Diane might be able to correct/confirm my story, but I understand the store was started by 2 brothers in the mid 50's and has been going ever since. They seem to be scattered in IL, WI and IA...they might at some point come to No. Indiana, but I'd bet that's as far as they'd go...that leaves Oklahoma and Kentucky out ;)

Deb--the "Toyland" was amazing. I can't believe how reasonable they were on name brand toys...the Weeble Wobble tree house I bought for Violet was $9.00 cheaper than at Target or Toys R Us. And such selection--things I've been looking at online at other store sites that you can only GET online, Blain's had there in the aisle, more reasonable and no shipping costs. Also, I bought my husband a Columbia cotton duck coat lined with polar fleece for Christmas that had regularly been $100 for $24.99. Can't beat that with a stick...would be worth a look see if you can make it over there sometime!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  06:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Gotta love any store that has Farm & Fleet" in it.
I'm jealous!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4243 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4243 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  07:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Jokingly we call it Farm and Barn around here. Been shopping there for 38 years! If you can't find it at Farm and Fleet you don't need it! :)

Michele
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree, Michele :) The only thing missing was groceries (with the exception of some snacks and sodas). Would be perfect with the groceries!!!

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I know what you mean. We had one here that closed a couple of years ago and I miss it soooooo much.
Every time I am on the road, I look for one.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  12:32:20 PM  Show Profile
You all know they have a website, right? farmandfleet.com I don't know if it's as good as the actual store, of course, but if you're missing it, you can at least visit online! :) - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, Nini, I've already been to the website...did that when I got home! The store is much better, but if in a bind, the website will work, too, I suppose!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  2:35:02 PM  Show Profile
It's never really as good as the real thing, huh? Well, at least it is a consolation! :) We don't have anything like that store here, so I'm feeling a little sad about that, too! ;)

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  6:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Farm and Fleet was started by the Blain brothers to supply farmers and homemakers with value and quality. It is still run by the same family and the first store is in Janesville, WI! Their distribution center is here also. Funny story, when I was younger, I used to run errands with my Mom. She sometimes would mix up the beginning or end of words. One day we were going to Farm and Fleet and she said we are going to "Fart and Fleem"!LOL I will never forget that. We call it Farm and Barn too, Michele. Sometimes I call it Fart and Fleem, just for a chuckle and a trip down memory lane. A couple of other words we won't let my Mom forget...Monetary Jack Cheese and Anti-toxidants!

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Oct 26 2010 6:21:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  6:24:46 PM  Show Profile
By the way, Farm and Fleet has awesome farmgirl clothing! Since I am a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie World, that's were I get my fashion. They carry Carhart for Women and Dickies and you can get a real nice flannel shirt in the men's dept. for $14.00.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  06:04:57 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I'm laughing so much at Monetary Jack Cheese! So cute!

I bought some great deals on the ladies Carhart stuff, so did my mom. I appreciated that they had a lot of American made items, too. Most of the toys I bought for Violet were American made and even more reasonable than the stuff from China. It seems like our Tractor Supply stores have nothing but made in China stuff and that's disheartening, to say the least.

I bought Justin the best cotton duck jacket lined with polartec at Blain's for $24.99. It's going to be perfect for Christmas....now to just get started on knitting a hat to match!!!

Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  3:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Love Farm and Fleet or Fleet Farm. If you can't get it at Farm and Fleet, Piggly Wiggly or a thrift store you don't need it.

Also love the smell when you go into Farm and Feet or Fleet Farm.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Iowa, Illinois & Wis. Farmgirls--I'm jealous!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page