Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Anyone a member of the D.A.R. or working on it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Anyone a member of the D.A.R. or working on it? Next Topic  

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2006 :  9:49:14 PM  Show Profile
I actually started the process of becoming a DAR a few years ago, but then got sidetracked with life. So I am now back on track.
For anyone who does not know what DAR is...it is the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is a civic/service group of women who can prove that their ancestors fought in or were medical personal in the American Revolution. There are chapters all over the US.
From the first meeting I went to I knew this group was something I wanted to be a part of. The meetings are very partiotic and have a spiritual piece to them.

Just wanted to know if there were any other DAR's out there in Mary Jane Land.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  04:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Pamela- I am a member of the DAR. My dad took care of all of the paperwork for me. My Grandmother Kimball was a member, and he wanted to carry on the tradition. My brothers and my sons are members of the SAR as well. And of course, my dad!! I was 23 when I joined, and there were not any chapters close to me here in GA. The Daughters of the Confederacy are a little more prominent here!! Truthfully, I haven't even given it a thought since then. Maybe I should look into it again. Thanks for jogging my memory!!
Karin
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  10:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Karin...how fortunate you are to have the work done for you. I have spent many long hours researching. And it is neat when the whole family is members. Are you a member of the Daughters of the Confederacy? Since I am in the north I do not know of any groups here. Although my roots are southern.
I think you should look into it for sure. I can hardly wait until I am a member.
I am missing a few small pieces of paperwork. But they are what I need.
Thanks for posting. Let me know if you decide to look into it again. I think it is a real honor to be a member...knowing our ancestors fought for the freedoms we enjoy today.
Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  1:47:58 PM  Show Profile
My mother always told me that her grandmother was a DAR member. Do you think they keep records? I would love to be able to access the paperwork she submitted to prove she met the membership requirements. I don't even know whether it was her actual grandmother or her grandfather's second wife (who she knew as 'grandma') who was the DAR member. The family history on that side is pretty misty.

Amie
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  2:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Pamela- I am going to my first chapter meeting next Tuesday!! I got online and found a chapter very close by. In fact, on the website there were pictures of new members and there was a woman I worked with years ago!! I will let you know how it went.
I don't believe I would qualify for the DAC as my family fought for the Union! My great-great grandfather fought all through the South, and his brother-in-law was a prisoner of war in Salisbury, SC. Soooo, I don't think I would be very popular.
Amie, I am not sure about record keeping for the DAR but I can ask my father. He knows quite a bit and will be glad to help. I will let you know.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  06:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Amie - This link will take you to the records page on the National DAR website. It does not appear difficult to get the record of your great-grandmother. All you will have to do from that point is obtain birth certificates and marriage licenses for those going back to her. You should have it pretty easy. Then just follow all of the other application guidelines for yourself. You can also look and see if there is a chapter near you that you can contact. My dad says they should be willing to help you with any questions you may have.

http://www.dar.org/library/record_copy.cfm#geninfo

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Karin. I'll definitely check it out. It turns out, though, that this was my step-great-grandmother, so her genealogy is a little less helpful to me. Still interesting though.

BTW, her name was Mildred Hubbard. My actual great-grandmother, who died young, was Iva Louisa Converse. Both of them very old-fashioned Anglo-Saxon sounding names. I've always tended to think of myself as a descendant of late-nineteenth century immigrants, more Ellis Island than American Revolution, so it's strange to see this strand in my family background coming up.

I wonder how the DAR handles step-families? It's probably become a much bigger issue in recent years. I'm not desperate to get in or anything. Just a thought...

Amie
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  2:39:59 PM  Show Profile
I believe that it is a blood-line genealogy they are looking for. But, you never know, Iva Louisa may have had Patriot ancestors as well! Really, this is a great way to get into family history. Start with one and you will be hooked!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  8:51:42 PM  Show Profile
Amie,

I am sure it has to be blood line genealogy. But like Karin said one of your other lines might qualify you.
I have many lines that go back...the hard thing is that so many of the court houses were burned during the Civil War many of the records are long gone.
Anyway, if it is something you are really interested in I'd try to find a local chapter and go to a meeting. They will have a vote on you to let you work on getting your papers in order. No big deal.
If anyone in your direct line was a DAR the will have a number for that person...everyone that becomes a member get s number.
If you long on to the website keep in mind that they could be two months in getting back to you. One of the patriots I ask about...I got a response in about ten days...the other I am still waiting to hear about.
Our local chapter takes a break for the summer, so we will not meet again until September...and our State regent (I think it is called) is the speaker and guest.
I am having some record finding issues...but I'll keep plugging away.
Karin...enjoy the meeting! Let us know how it went.
I love this topic and hope we can get others interested.

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  11:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Karin, Did you make the DAR meeting?

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  06:45:03 AM  Show Profile
Pamela- I didn't. We were able to get an appointment with my son's neurologist for that day- so.... He'd been having an increased amount of siezures lately and also we were seeing quite a nasty little side effect from one medication he is taking. Talk about bad attitude!! Yikes! So, we got him off of that one and onto a new one which is doing great!!
But, back to the DAR- the next meeting is in August and I will be at that one. I will let you know how it goes.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  07:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
My husband's grandmother was a member of DAR. We are lucky enough to have her original membership certificate. Someday, I hope that my daughter will become a member. I think it is a great honor. I am an avid amutuer genealogist, and have been doing research for years, on mine and DH families. I know that I have ancestors that were around during the Revolution but as yet haven't been able to firmly connect them to service. I have ancestors that was here in the America's as early as 1631, as members of the Winthrop Fleet. As well as other ancestors that arrived before 1740. Right now, with the children at home I get a few hours here and there to work on it. However, someday, I hope for the time to really get busy on it. One great thing I have found about winters here in Illinois, the weather gives me an excuse to stay in and work on it. During the winter months, I can spend 4 to 5 hours a day working on my research.

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jaime
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Indiana
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  6:37:43 PM  Show Profile
"I" (actually my husband is) am currently working on my DAR application. We're really close, we just need a few more documents. I'm actually going to my first meeting on Monday! My DH has been in the SAR for a couple of years, so I thought I would join the women folk instead of hanging around the guys all the time. I'm hoping it will be fun. It's funny, but when I think of the DAR, I think of a bunch of older ladies sitting around drinking tea and eating cookies! I know they do more than that, I think that's the idea I get off of t.v. though!

Jaime
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  04:10:18 AM  Show Profile
I have a real interest in this, but haven't started the daunting task of the paperwork. A local historian who has common ancestory has already done the groundwork for me. Since I deal in a ton of paperwork daily at work, taking on more paperwork in my off time isn't really desireable. This thread has been interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  10:20:42 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy that some of you are working on or planning to work on the DAR membership. I find the research rewarding. I have found out that my GGGGrandfather rode/fought with George Washington and that George frequented his home. Is that cool or what?
I am also related to Thomas Edison...I would have never known all of this if I had not spent the time to look into it. I LOVE genealogy. It is very time consuming...but rewarding. It is like working on a puzzle that never gets finished, but there is so much joy when you can put another piece in your puzzle.
I look forward to learning more about my roots and I know it will be a lifetime hobby.
I encourage any of you to find out what you can about your ancestors...it really is rewarding. Plus I think it is getting so easy now that we have computers and the Internet. I have 'cousins' all over the country that I would have never known or known about.

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  06:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I love genealogy also Pamela. I find it very rewarding, and can loose myself for hours and days in it. It is getting easier for beginners to do research. There are lots of great sites to find information.

I found that some of my family arrived in the Colonies with the Winthrop Fleet, in the 1600's. I am related to the first published American Women Poet, Anne Dudley Bradstreet and her husband Governor Simon Bradstreet. Can you imagine, a Puritan wife of a Governor, being published in the 1600's! Amazing! And that is only one little branch of the family tree, there are so many other branches. My husband has an ancestor that fought for England, as a Hessian Soldier, during the Revolutionary War. As Wells as, an ancestor that fought for the Colonies during the Revolutionary War. It goes on and on.

I am addicted to it.

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Anyone a member of the D.A.R. or working on it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page