Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Hiking at state park Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  1:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Today was a beautiful day in the midwest. There wasn't as much color in the trees as usual, due to little rainfall, but it was beautiful anyway. I drove up to Pierre Marquette state park and went hiking with some friends. There were a lot of people out--I sincerely hope that Illinois doesn't close this park due to budget cuts. I believe it's the largest state park in Illinois and it has many features that you don't find elsewhere in the state. I remember going there when I was young and I want other kids to continue to have that opportunity. There were a lot of campers there, at least as far as I could tell. The view from the top of the park is just wonderful--you can see the Illinois river, a couple of lakes, and lots of farmland. We saw a flock of white pelicans flying by and I saw a couple of raptors. If you're ever in southwestern Illinois, be sure to visit this park--tell them Cindy sent you

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  1:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like the perfect day! I was hiking two weeks ago at a state park in Knob Noster, Mo. The area could have used a little rain but itis so nice to get out. They had a nice little hiking trail around the lake. Did not see much wild life, but I noticed eight different kinds of mushrooms!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  7:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a beautiful day for you! We spent ours at Morton Arboretum. It was gorgeous and yes, we could use some rain up here too!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  7:41:14 PM  Show Profile
I spent the weekend camping and hiking at Kanopolis Lake near Salina, Kansas. It was beautiful. We are having quite a bit of color change.
Lessie Louise, I remember hiking and sledding in that Knob Noster Park many years ago. I attended college at University of Central Missouri (It was Central Missouri State University then)

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  04:32:51 AM  Show Profile
We've driven past Pierre Marquette SP on our way home from Pounds Hollow. Have you been there? Or Garden of the Gods? STUNNING! We hope to go back next spring and visit the swamp down there.

We spent our weekend at Shabbona State Park. Hiked our hineys off! I love fall in the wilderness!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  2:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Deb--I've been to the Garden of the Gods and the Cache River swamp. The swamp looks like something out of the deep south, but the water isn't very deep (though it looks like there might be alligators in there). There are some really wondrous places in southern Illinois and I've only been to a few. Giant City state park is also a great place to hike--though not after a rain, the rocks are slippery.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Hiking at state park Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page