melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  1:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Took a break this afternoon from ripping out the cupboard underneath our old kitchen sink---and headed on over to Riverside Cemetery for a few autumn snaps---So quiet and peaceful down by the river.

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  2:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  2:50:44 PM  Show Profile
Lovely! I love old cemetaries. The headstones are so interesting and they are such quiet places. As shown in your beautiful pictures, the trees all look like they are gently tending the graves. Thanks for the photos.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  3:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Audrey...I know it might seem "weird" to some people, but I LOVE going to different cemeteries. It's history on a most personal level. I find it so interesting, calming, and very peaceful to walk around taking photos and reading the tombstones and to imagine the loved ones that are resting.

One summer we were in Springfield Illinois and visited Oak Ridge Cemetery where Lincoln is buried--Oh my the grounds were beautiful and meticulously tended. We spent hours there.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  4:00:28 PM  Show Profile
I want to go to Arlington National Cementery one day. I don't know of anyone there I am just drawn to it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  4:28:35 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I don't find that weird at all. I like find the family plots, where all the last names are the same. I always try to pick out the family order, who mom and dad were, which ones are the children, the grandchildren.

Diana, Arlington is fabulous! Talk about history! And it is stunningly beautiful. Did you know it was the home of Robert E Lee? Part of me is saddened that they made his beautiful home into a cemetary but part of me is glad because now it is preserved forever.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a beautiful cemetary. I especially love super old cemetaries that you can find in the back country- sometimes just one or two families. It's so interesting and you can learn so much about people's histories from them.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  5:07:57 PM  Show Profile
I am a cemetery walker also.....Your photos are wonderful. Old cemeteries have such peace and love, the newer ones leave me cold and alone. Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  7:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Mel . . . that is one of the things we really liked to do on our trips to Scotland and Ireland . . visit the cemeteries. They are called "kirkyards" in those countries. But they are SOOOOOO full of history. It was interesting to read headstones, see the carvings and artwork on them.
Thanks for the pics!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE old cemetaries also... Have hung out in them sense I was a kid, so glad Iv found others like me.. Thanks for sharing

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I used to love to go cemetery hunting. I haven't been in several years now. But I loved the hunt. There is a little cemetery outside of town a little ways. I am related to nearly all who are buried there. A lot from my dad's side and my mom's side. Strange how close thier families lived. Kinda makes me wonder if they were related way down the line. LOL

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  03:23:44 AM  Show Profile
i love the photos - i am a member of findagrave.com and do volunteer photos for folks all around...thanks for sharing your "break"!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  07:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Penny,

I would love to know more about findagrave.com! And you volunteer to photograph headstones? That sounds very interesting!

My collection of cemetery and headstone photos is quite extensive-I have been taking pictures for years and years now. Eventually, I plan on publishing a book about our little Riverside Cemetery.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

bakermom
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Linda
Garden Grove CA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  08:59:25 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the pics. It brings back memories. We moved all the time (military) and I loved finding cemeteries. A girlfriend and I would wear long dresses and bonnets, bring flowers and make up stories about the headstones. Some would be overgrown, covered in flowers, birds and butterflys. It is always a peacefull, contempletive place to be. I get more emotional about them now. Have to stay away from childrens sections, makes me cry.

bakermom
sister#2064
"that wine may cheer the hearts of man...that bread may strengthen mens hearts." psalm 104

Edited by - bakermom on Oct 18 2010 09:00:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  1:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I took a trip to Santa Fe and stopped in Raton just to find the family cemetary. This would have been DH's grandfather and farther back. It took some time but we managed to find them. All the stories that he heard growing up about this relative or that and here they all were! It turned those stories from myths to reality for DH. He was quite moved. We even found some long lost relatives of his not far from where my mother was buried in Arvada Colorado. Whenever I go see her I always make a point to stop in and visit the "in laws" too, don't figure they get many vistors themselves.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  7:44:42 PM  Show Profile
What a gorgeous cemetary...and what beautiful pictures! I too like to visit cemeteries - its a history like no other. I like to find the oldest graves, family plots...try to figure out why entire families died all at once (like during war or flu outbreaks)...I find it all so interesting. :) They are so peaceful, too. Thanks for posting!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  8:11:19 PM  Show Profile
bakermom,

I grew up in the Air Force---Nice to hear from a fellow "brat!"

Amy---I know what you mean. The baby graves are especially moving. I did a paper in college on the great pandemic in 1918 and I am always stunned to find clusters of headstones bearing witness to
that horrific time in history.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
melody-and all--go to www.findagrave.com --it's a free website however to post anything -on forum or pics of graves- you must "register" (like here!)

there are some very knowledgeable folks when it comes to restoration and cleaning of headstones- so many ppl do more harm than good..

anyhow- you can sign up to take photos in your area so -say someone from california wants a photo of a grave in connecticut- and you live in CT (no i won't spell it again!^*^) so you take the photo and upload it and viola they have their photo-- some folks walk whole cemeteries and post photos--

anyone who registers can create a memorial to a loved one
an online obituary and memorial which can then have photos added...
and you can search to see if a person is already memorialized--example- go look for julian r howard in three rivers michigan...

there is so much history to be gleaned from our past!!!!!

also there is a section of famous ppl's graves...
check it out- it can be addictive if you have time-

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Oct 19 2010 07:34:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  07:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Penny Wise for all of the helpful information---I am headed on over to findagrave.com right now!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenbasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cemetery Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page