Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Question regarding merit badge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Question regarding merit badge Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  12:46:22 PM  Show Profile
To earn the expert level, I need to volunteer at a horse rescue. The only one I could find in our area, did not respond, and from what I found out from others, is that they closed up?

Is there an alternative for those wishing to obtain this level, but have no access to an area rescue (for horses)?

Visit my blog sites:

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kristina,

We recently finished shooting a video about a local horse rescue and I had the opportunity to learn a lot about how they operate. You don't necessarily have to volunteer at a local rescue, for a functioning rescue to stay open they need much more than someone to care for the horses. You could help fund raise, write letters, ask for donations of old tack from local horse ranches, or even make a horse blanket. I'm sure if you contact a rescue no matter how far away they'll be able to find something for you to do. :)

Also we'd be open to suggestions.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Edited by - Kevin on Oct 14 2010 1:17:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  8:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Kristina,
We DO have a local rescue that I'm able to be involved with "hands-on". But I am also able to "sponsor" a horse on a monthly basis with a financial donation that helps provide feed, preventive medical care, etc. I also do a lot of promotion for them by distributing their brochures. If you can't find one that you'd like to help in this way, I'm SURE that, even though this one is in Colorado, they'd be more than happy to have your help by sponsoring a horse. They have a great need for help. So, if you think this is doable for you, email me and I'll get you the info.
The horse I sponsor is blind and will be hard for anyone to adopt. She also happens to be a favorite with the developmentally disabled visitors to the rescue . . . one of those individuals also happens to be my son!!!

KEVIN: would this be an acceptable option?

Hope this helps!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Oct 15 2010 05:57:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  06:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately CeeJay, my family is not in a financial position to sponsor a horse. We are actually trying to put money away for our own horse. I have one daughter who is taking English riding lessons currently as well. I do write, and have helped other charities with donations by writing letters. I will look into other ways of helping rescues that are further away. Thanks!

Visit my blog sites:

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  06:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Another possibility-
The owner of where my daughter takes lessons, some how receives horses that are taken off the race track in a nearby city. Those horses are rehabilitated and trained by her, for future sale. My daughter is taking lessons on a 4 or 5 year old, 16 hands, horse that recently came off the race track. She does not own them, but boards them for the owner, trains them, and helps sell them. By doing this, she helps save them from being sold to who we all call the "Tiger man" who buys up these horses to feed his tigers, and other wild animals he keeps (cars can drive through his place to view his wild animals for a fee). The last horse my daughter was riding, was a retired 15 year old from the track as well, retrained and has already been sold. She saved him from becoming tiger food too. Could I volunteer at her farm even though she is not a "rescue" per say?

Visit my blog sites:

Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Yeah that sounds like a great idea Kristina. Thanks for your suggestions too CJ.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Question regarding merit badge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page