Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Brrrrrrr! Next Topic  

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  06:31:39 AM  Show Profile
After having our windows open for almost a month, our house is officially cold this morning. Darn North wind!

I've given in and have decided we need to button up the house and turn on our heat. Next week our gas logs will be repaired so we can sit by the fire! So excited!

Not sure if this is the right board but maybe someone can help me out. We just moved into a new house (built in the early 80s) and it has this little box next to the thermostat. It is a brown box with a large dial on the front. Around the dial are numbers 10, 20,30,40,50&60 along with on and off. There are no switches or buttons so it doesn't seem to be a secondary thermostat.

Could you please tell me what it does? I took a photo but I can't get my iPhone to post it unfortunately.

Thanks! :: passes hot chocolate and a big plate o cookies!::

Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  07:01:30 AM  Show Profile
When we remolded our home we had the H/A replaces. We had one just like it, the H/A man said in the 80's the had a humididty control thing. I think it was a fad or something. That might be what it is.

Blessings,
Tina Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  08:12:26 AM  Show Profile
I think you might be right! The numbers are probably humidity percentages. I don't foresee us using it so it will just continue being an odd decoration in our hallway!

Thank you so much!

Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  12:48:07 PM  Show Profile
I am with you, MamaCrunch... 'SOOOOOO cold here, too. It's an ungodly 46 degrees out and raining, so the dampness makes it feel even colder. After the exhorbitantly high gas bills we had from last winter's deep freeze and endless snow, my DH and I are trying VERY hard not to turn the heat on yet. As I'm typing I can literally feel my joints creaking! LOL! Haven't seen my breath yet, so I'm going to try to stick it out a little longer. ;) Come Saturday, its supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny, anyway, so it seems kind of silly to start up the heat for just a couple of days. (This weather is unbelievable.) At 3:00 this morning, though, I was seriously regretting last night's decision to hold out. Our bedroom has a bay of four huge windows in the front. It was so cold, I spent most of the night shivering even though I was wearing three layers of sleepwear - including socks - and had the covers pulled up over my head. My DH, a/k/a the human oven, doesn't notice the cold at all, so I kept cuddled up close to him, his breath acting as a hot air vent warming the back of my neck. I was pathetic. LOL! And I know how insane that probably sounds, but we're just really trying to hold out. I just hate paying the gas bill for heating this big old house. We're really good about weatherizing, using calk, insulation and plastic where we can. All our storm windows are up, all the extraneous rooms are closed off, and our new down blankets just arrived today, so maybe we can weather another night of this - we'll see. If tonight on any level resembles last night, though - the heat is going on!

On a happier note, a really GOOD thing about all this cold is that I'm so cold that my fat cells seem to have shrunken up tight - my clothes are looser, and I look thinner! LOL! Ohh... you've just gotta find the silver lining... you've just GOTTA find the silver lining... ;)

Stay cool, but keep warm! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  6:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Update: Valiant hubby to the rescue! He came home tonight, saw my red nose and felt my icy cold hands... He said, "We shall not have THIS!" and proceeded right down to the basement to turn on the heat. My hero! LOL! I am thawing quite nicely now! He felt bad he hadn't done it sooner. I told him just be quiet and enjoy his thinner wife while she lasts... Hee hee ... Kind of like Frosty the Snow Woman! Weeeelll... all good things must come to an end! We tried! At least there is a little consolation in knowing that we've helped save a gas co. employee's job this month! ;) - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  06:43:03 AM  Show Profile
well nini i am glad your warmer. we have had ours set at 68 for weeks. the desert gets cold and i hate that. i am very fussy about temp. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  06:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Your welcome, it graced our hallway for many years!lol

Blessings,
Tina Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  8:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Thinking I needed to clean the area out around the wood stove tonight. Rained most of the day. Think I can make it till I snuggle under the covers. I always try to make it til at least oct to make fires! It is all we use for heat here.

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Brrrrrrr! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page