Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  08:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There are lots of ways that the average home has hidden inefficiencies that can be costing you a lot of money!

Make sure you clean your condensor coils of your refridgerator every month for best efficiency. I thought I was getting mine but when I pulled the fridge out adn took the back off, it was CLOGGED with dog hair and dirt. Very gross and very wasteful.

Also if you keep having to adjust your fridge just a little colder or if it randomly freezes your veggies- you might want to look at defrosting it- even auto defrosting fridges sometimes get frozen up. I am currently defrosting mine and have had at least a quart of water come out from the coils.

Keeping night lights/ room lights on. If it's daytime usually we don't really need the lights on. It's just habit. Try turning them off and opening some drapes to see if you are comfortable with the light level.

Clean the bathroom fan blades. Any dirt build up on a moving part causes energy waste.

Anything with a light, timer, or "instant on" (tv's and computers) are energy drains.

Heating water when you are gone during the day and keeping the house hot/cool during the day when you are gone.

Also invest in insulators for each plug in for your house. A lot of hidden energy leaks happen around the plug ins because it is a hole in the insulation of your house.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  10:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Good tips!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  1:30:39 PM  Show Profile
You can make your own insulators for the plug ins with the meat trays you get or by the sheets of craft foam and cut your own.

Both cheap.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  2:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great ideas. Diana!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  09:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Duct tape works fine for sealing around plugs.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  07:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas, Alee.

Another tip is to keep your dryer hose cleaned out (if you use a dryer). I line dry almost everything -- but can't believe the difference in the time it takes to dry when it is cleaned out versus trapped with lint. It is also is a good safety tip.

Also, a good way to recycle bubble wrap is to use it for an insulating covering over basement windows. We've done this the last couple of years and it makes a huge difference. We can actually feel the difference warmth-wise.

My father-in-law is an appliance repairman and will vouch for what you say about pet hair accumulation diminishing efficiency. He's had to clean up the coils on our refrigerator a few times because of cat hair. It doesn't matter how clean you keep things, they just seem to be a pet hair magnet!

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  08:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Just pluging up air seep holes around doors and windows a hot water heater blanket is good to and not to expensive. Remember to lock the windows not just shut them they are still seeping air when not lock up.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Hidden Inefficiencies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page