Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need some Creative Soap Display Ideas-Please?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need some Creative Soap Display Ideas-Please? Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  07:32:46 AM  Show Profile
Our show Saturday was a complete and utter flop! I was so upset I packed up and left. There was another vendor there and his soap was unwrapped and set in tall boxes with minimal description and he was kicking my butt in sales-I need some creative display ideas to finish out my booked soap shows for this year--

I am about ready to throw in the TOWEL! (No PUN intended-)

For the past five seasons I have displayed my "wrapped" soap in blue ticking covered baskets---- with a bar of unwrapped soap sitting on a bed of river rocks in a shell shaped dish which is low on the table so I am thinking of adding some height to attract buyers. My table just doesn't seem to "POP" and seems to be generating only "lookie-lou's"

I don't know ladies-I have to do something FAST! Booking these shows are expensive as well as the time involved in getting prepped.

Any fresh ideas would be so very greatly appreciated-Let your imagination run wild I am OPEN to any creative idea!

Thank you girls-I'm counting on you!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com

Edited by - melody on Oct 03 2010 09:23:27 AM

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  07:51:17 AM  Show Profile
hi melody, i agree that soap can just not catch the eye. one thing i do that is fun. it seems to help my sales, i market the soap as soap sticks. you can use a brown paper bag like french bagettes come in. instead of wrapping and selling bars i sell a stick. they can cut to their size. the colors stick out the top of the bag. i stand them up in a basket. people want to touch them. it draws them to the booth. also do you sell chapstick or body butters? that can help. i also leave soaps out for folks to touch. do you offer soap dishes. papa gets me molding and cuts them into lengths for the soap to sit on. i use a lot of COLOR at my booths. you can offer free samples. folks love free or almost free. just some thoughts. i also have a big mouth. i say howdy to anyone close to my booth. i ask hey have you tried this shea soap bar? or hi where are you all from? anything to get their attention. sure hope the next one goes better for you. happy days sherrey

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  08:50:25 AM  Show Profile
It was just terrible Sherry. I have done this for almost five years at many, many art and craft shows and festivals. Yesterday, both DH and I would greet people passing my booth and very, very rarely did anyone respond with even just a simple Hello. I wanted to cry. I have never had a show like I did on Saturday. I do have one bar of each scent of soap unwrapped and in a dish. People love to pick them up and sniff-But I don't know...I am thinking maybe my table needs a little more "oomph" to bring 'em on in and buy something.

Mel
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  10:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melody! I love your display, actually! And I have a whole bunch of ideas, so I'm going to email you in a sec. Please don't give up just yet! You've got an AWESOME product - you can make this work! :) I believe in you! Hugs, Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  08:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Nini...

Sunday is the day! Every aspect of my table display has been meticulously "tweaked" to what I think is a whole new level for my soap products.

Thank you dear friend for all of the encouragement-sound marketing advice, but especially many, many thanks for taking the time to sit down and break down each and every aspect of what it takes to be successful at art shows and festivals. I really needed a "fresh" look at how I am conducting my shows- I appreciate your thoughtfulness beyond words!

You are a TRUE BLUE FARMGIRL!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcrfatedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  3:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini for all the wonderful advice the MCC Fall
Festival was a resounding success!

For photo's of the show visit my soap blog at:

http://bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

YOU did it all, Melody - AWESOME job! Congratulations! I am just SO excited for you! :)

May you have all the success in the future, too! You GO girl!!!

Hugs,

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  8:41:41 PM  Show Profile
Melody....not sure what Nini told you to do to tweak your boothspace, but I guess it worked. My suggestions would be maybe make your labels a little more colorful or maybe make soap samples to give away. I looked over your blog and am thinking about ordering soap for Christmas.

Wish you much luck with your soap adventure!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  11:28:23 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, this is nothing about the soap display, but just read your closing line. Oh, my goodness. I need to reprint that and enlarge it to wall paper size so I see it everyday and don't have to squint to read it. Love, love, love it, because it is so true! Thanks so much for that little tidbit.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.saxonlutheranmemorial.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  06:02:00 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I don't know how much time you have, but I agree that adding some differing heights would really help. I love your little baskets and I think that putting them at varying heights would be really pleasing to the eyes. When I do shows, I use two groupings of square, white crates that I bought at either Staples or Office Depot. Sometimes Walmart has them, but usually they are pink, black or red. You might want those colors. Anyway, because my branding is red gingham, I made cloth "wraps" of red gingham that wrap around the outside of the crates and attach with a strip of velcro on each end of the wrap. I put the end on the bottom of the crate so that it doesn't show. I place two crates next to each other and at a little angle to each other and then put a third crate on top of those two. I put doilies or red gingham placemats in the bottom of each crate and then place items within the crates, on top of the third one and on top of the first and second one beside the third. If you'd like a photo of it, I can post it in a new post or email it to you. I know that my explanation is kind of confusing!! Another thing I do is to put boxes of varying heights under a tablecloth and then set items on the tops of each box. I put a brick inside of each box to keep it stationary. Anyway, they seem to work. :-)

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  06:07:44 AM  Show Profile
I wasn't thinking. Here is a picture at my blog: http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?cat=1 Because our space was so small at this show, I only did one set of crates and stacked a fourth one to give us more display room. I do demonstrations on the table and so my display space is limited, hence it goes up instead of out!! :-)

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  06:18:41 AM  Show Profile
Melody... I am happy for you that the MCC Fall Festival was successful! :o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need some Creative Soap Display Ideas-Please? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page