Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Garrison Keillor - Books & Prairie Home Companion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Garrison Keillor - Books & Prairie Home Companion? Next Topic  

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Any one else a Garrison Keillor fan? I love the radio show he does A Prairie Home Companion. Love all the characters he has created and the comercials. Also started reading his books I guess I have become somewhat of a groopie.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  08:15:47 AM  Show Profile
We lived in the Twin Cities and have been fans of Prairie Home Companion since the beginning. Matter of fact we went to see his show when the tickets were free! Our friend plays in the band sometimes and years ago would give us his complimentary tickets if his family couldn't attend. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

the butchers wife
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kelly
Mo
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile
I love Garrison Kieler and the Prarie Home Companion. As for his books, I've read a couple and they were okay. But, my all time fave is his "News from Lake Wobagon" on the radio show. The best is when your on a road trip and channel surfing and happen upon one of his episodes. It always makes the trip a little more relaxing.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  9:04:51 PM  Show Profile
I love his show too. I listen to it every Saturday as I make homemade pizza for dinner. The books are fun too and I have several.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  11:51:52 PM  Show Profile
I am listening online to "News from Lake Wobagon" right now!! I have never heard of him (obviously he is not known here)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  12:17:03 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy listening to him on his radio show. Thanks for the tip on his books; will need to check them out.

Carole

In light, love, and friendship!
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE Garrison Keillor! I've read all his books and loved them all. My favorite is Lake Wobegone Days, but Lake Wobegone, 1956 is really good, too (although really, really dirty!). (Recently I shared a train car with him between Chicago and Minneapolis, but I didn't know it until after he disembarked. I was asleep in my berth. My husband saw him, though!)

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Edited by - JessieMae on Oct 27 2010 7:48:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  06:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Jessie Mae, Thank's for sharing your experience. At least you can say you sat next to him. I think he is a master story teller and realy enjoy his stories expecially Lake Wobegone.

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  10:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Actually, Ann, it is a kind of funny story. I had already gone to sleep in the top berth in our room, laying on my side and facing away from the door. The room was TINY, so basically when you slid open the door to our room you were face-to-face (so to speak!) with my butt, and right at eye level, too! Minneapolis is one of the stops where passengers are allowed off the train for a few minutes to stretch, get some fresh air, smoke a cigarette, or what have you, so my husband opened our room door to disembark. Mr. Keillor was in the sleeping room at the end of our car, so he had to pass right by my big butt. My husband said he thought about asking Mr. Keillor stand next to my rear end for a photograph, but he seemed to be in a hurry, and my husband thought better of it!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  1:20:56 PM  Show Profile
JessieMae...Great story and good move on your husbands part. This could have been brought up on his radio show. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  1:24:48 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Very funny story Jessie Mae-Aint that the way it goes??

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Garrison Keillor - Books & Prairie Home Companion? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page