Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Soon to be farm girl, Howdy yall!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Soon to be farm girl, Howdy yall! Next Topic  

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile

Hello!
I'm new to mary janes farm, but already a big fan. I love all things country and a simple way of life. I currently live in Washington and will be moving to Idaho soon. My property (In Idaho) has five acres with lots of young trees and possibilities. I am already planning my garden for this spring and have dreams of chickens, a milk cow, possibly a pig or two and as much independance as I can handle.

I have four children ages 2, 4, 6 and 9. We are a homeschooling family and stay busy most of the time with that.

I am eager to make friends with people who have the same love for country life as I do, and would very much like advice on certain aspects of farm life I am new to.

Right now I live 15 miles from a small town on 5 not very usable acres. I'm familiar with chopping wood, building fires, shoveling snow, pulling weeds, etc, etc. Everything else will be a new adventure for me and my kids, LOL!

Looking forward to getting to know you all and thanks for reading my intro! Dar

"live every day as if it were your last"

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  2:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Darla! You'll find lots of helpful topics here, so dig in and read and share your contributions too! Love to hear your ideas!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  8:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Darla - everyone here is very genuinely interested in living a better and more simple lifestyle. Many have been living it already for a long time. Look forward to hearing about your new acreage, and also about where you are right now!

It just occurred to me - we all share and talk about goats, chickens, gardens, music, books, handwork, food.....and especially our loved ones. I do not remember anyone mentioning high fashion, brand names, expensive cars, or how to get rich. Love it.
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello

I am new to this scene too. I have been reading Mary Jane magazines for awhile, whenever they come up this way.

I love the comment that we don't talk about cars, high fashions etc.
If you could only see me now, in my coveralls, straight out of the barn.

I have a wonderful sister-in-law.I love her to pieces but her need to have everything always upsets me. Her children are close to my younger children's ages 13 and 8 and they all have their own CD players, TV, computers, walk-in closets. There is nothing wrong with any of these things but I always feel after I have been with her that my children are deprived. I know it is just a gut feeling and it passes when I see my teens playing UNO around the kitchen table with the younger ones. Putting life into perspective is a must. This is why I love this site so much.

I think that this is how life should be. the only pressures I feel in a day is there isn't enough time to do all the things I WANT to do!

Marlyn
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  12:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn - Welcome and I look forward to hearing about Ontario. I have never been to Canada, but just finished reading a good novel about northern Canada - it is called "Crow Lake". Living in a large country like the USA, I know you must smile when people talk about Canada who are not familiar with it. Our country is so diverse and different, that one place does not relate to another. Yours is the same, I am sure.

Your children will look back and remember the simple lifestyle you gave them with much fonder memories than who had the most "stuff", I would imagine.

How big is your farm?

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2005 :  1:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn and Dar-- Welcome , welcome! We are a diverse bunch but our families and homes are a common thread that seems to tie us all together. Becoming the best people we can be is another so you both sound like you will fit right in. It's not easy raising good, non materialistic kids in this society but it seems that we are all trying! I'll look forward to reading your posts and learning more about your places in the world.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile
pjbluesky

Thanks for the welcome.

I ahve no idea how I came across this site, but I have bought Mary jane magazines in the past and really love them. Simplicity at its best.

We live on a 200 acre farm of hay,grains and woods. We have dairy and beef cattle, sheep and chickens. The sheep are mine the cattle "ours". Only because cattle are a lot of work!!

You are right in saying our countries are so diverse. i have not been to all the states nor all of Canada for that matter. Hard to do it when you have to be home for milking but.... I do read a lot about different places and dream.......

My eldest is in the Ukraine at present on a missionary with other farmers. He says the simplicity of our life has made his beginning there barable compaired to most. Now doesn't that just give you a pat on the back.

I look forward to talking with like minded people. Its an invegorating
though to have others like me out there. I am normal after all!!!
Marlyn
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2005 :  09:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Hello Marlyn and Dar,
This just keeps getting better and better!!! We are normal after all aren't we!
I believe we have given our children the advantage over most as we have taught them how to survive in a real world where we have to hunt and gather and do for our selves. There will come a day when those skills are very necessary once again.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2005 :  2:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello and Welcome Getting caught up on my reading here, and I just realized why I love this group so much. There is NO talk of expensive things, the latest fad diet, coolest restaurant etc. What a nice relief from our normal society. I am so happy to have found folks who feel like I do about materialism and so-called status.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Soon to be farm girl, Howdy yall! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page