Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Car Donation woes...update Next Topic  

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  11:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I donated a car in 2008; turned over the title, turned the plates in to DMV, cancelled insurance. So, that was 2008...Today I get a call from the bank that financed the car, (we paid off car 5 yrs ago), telling us they've received a bill for $237.45 + $18.00 a day for storage because the car had been involved in an accident and state police had it towed. Then the conversation went quite lengthy we me listing all the stuff about not owning the car, how the car had been paid off on such-&-such a date and so on and so forth. Bank lady not quite seeming to be reassured or satisfied, leaves me with a sense of unfinished business...
Well, I hung up, called my husband, fussed about it with him, fussed @ him because he thinks it's no big deal...

I'm kind-of a worrier, I can't just forget about it, because my name is floating around out there, the state police have my name in their system for a car I no longer own, etc.,
I keep every reciept, document, warranty card etc. so I went out to the container that holds all our important papers, etc., climbed up over piles of this and that and found the box with the folder for the car. Then I call the state police, the towing company, the bank, my husband...turns out, I'm not responsible for it afterall, which I knew in the first place, but just had to hear it from each of them to be sure. I haven't called the non-profit I donated the car to, that's next on the list. Is there a BBB for non-profits?
This is the second car we've donated. I couldn't remember the name of the non-profit for the first car, (no problems with that one) chose this one online. I'm not pleased...
Bank, tow company, state police and DH say not to worry, it's not my problem. Well, then why'd they call me in the first place???

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)
.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Edited by - MasterGardener on Sep 22 2010 4:14:36 PM

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  12:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Wow! We were just discussing donating our older truck to a charity. What a scary and annoying thing to happen. I'd be pretty irked!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  12:23:56 PM  Show Profile
That happened to us only the person that had the car left it abandoned on the road side, did not register it and took plates of so they came back to us. My son is a policeman in our town and he looked into it, it turned out we had the paper work that we had drawn up when it gave this person the car, a young man with a new baby and no money. I guess it does not always pay to help out some people. We would have been better off selling the car for next to nothing for the problems it caused.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile
We donated our car a few years ago and a year after that I got a bill for the license plate sticker. It took several calls on my party to make sure everything had been transferred out of my name & that I wasn't responsible. It is irritating when you think you are helping a charity out & they don't do everything on their end.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  2:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it's irritating, and more because we did everything we were supposed to do, ie., title transfer, plates to DMV & even got a receipt for turning them in, which should have gone into a computer system somewhere, and then cancelling insurance. The towing co. said something about until the new owner actually takes the title in and pays the fees, etc., the car will remain in our name. I don't know, it sounds "off" to me. I still don't feel sure that this is so easily finished. Obviously, the situation is caused by donation folks NOT doing something they were supposed to do and then allowing the car to be driven...
Thank the Lord I have a receipt from the organization that took the car.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  2:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hope it gets straightened out soon! I would like to think that the vast majority that get donated don't have any problems. Sorry you got caught in the few that do! Glad that it was relatively quickly solved though!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MInwife
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

LEA
OXFORD NC
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  2:53:09 PM  Show Profile
I am a worrier too, even though you KNOW in your heart its not your fault.... the fact some one thinks you are sort of gets ya ...
Hope it is a quick resolve

Lea

www.theendoftheroad.typepad.com

Farm Girl Sister # 2078
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  3:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Something similar happened to my Dad. He traded his car in on a new model and about a month later was contacted by the police. Seems someone had stolen his car off a different car lot, used it to commit some petty theft type crimes then drove it into a lake. His name was still on the registration so that's who the police came to talk to. Nothing more happened to him after he explained the situation. Sounds like it's the towing company who's confused in your case. Shouldn't they bill the person who was driving the vehicle? Surely the police got the drivers information. But I wouldn't worry any more about it. You've got your ducks in their rows to prove that the car is no longer your responsibility. Just don't go and do something silly like throw out the documentation.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Audrey - I agree about drivers information. I asked towing co. if the car had been abandoned, they said they towed car @ state police's request, so I thought the same thing you said, don't they have the information from the driver? License and registration. What is bugging me is the disconnect somewhere in the system that kept my name in the loop. It seems there needs to be a more organized system (as if...) to finalize the transfer of a car, ie., when we turned the plates in, some record of the car's transfer of title to prevent this type of situation.
Received a letter from tow co. today in the mail; earlier call to tow co. ended with lady there saying keep the letter but ignore it...45 days later will receive another, but not my responsibility,so....time will tell.

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  4:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I called the non-profit this afternoon; they've asked me to fax a copy of the tow co. letter. They assure me that the transfer procedure included a release of liability form, but the young woman didn't know how/why it didn't happen or finalize this transfer. Non-profit is going to mail copy of release of liability to tow co. Sheeeeshhh...hope that resolves it once and for all.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  9:10:06 PM  Show Profile
We donated a Bronco several years ago. Right about then, the rules changed and all of a sudden we didn't have enough to declare on taxes. We had a tax lady tell us this. So, basically, we gave the Bronco away...for free. I am still not happy about this. I would rather sell something now than donate it.

I hope your problems get ironed out!!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Car Donation woes...update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page