LenaSassafrass
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Leanne
Hamilton Montana
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  8:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you farmgirls used stevia in your baked goods? I tried making zuchinni bread with it and because of not having the sugar in it I also put in 1 cup of applesauce...it was edible...not yummy! Any ideas? Would baking with honey be just as bad as regular sugar for a diabetic? Thanks ladies!

Leanne

Maizy-brownswiss/jersey
Sassafrass-06/20/10

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  06:22:57 AM  Show Profile
Honey is a natural sugar but still will effect you if you are diabetic. I have used stevia for a few recipes. I bought the stevia that was in a bulk bag just for baking. They had just gotten it in at walmart about 2 months ago. Its made to measure cup for cup like sugar. My pumkin bread turned out really good. I am not sure what form of stevia you used but some of the forms it comes it doesn't work very well.

goodluck
Linda
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  12:27:54 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I wish I could help. I have a stevia plant in my garden but am still trying to figure out how to "harvest" it into a useable form.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  8:22:23 PM  Show Profile
I've used Stevia in baking. Even tho it says to use "cup for cup", I find it works best to use no more than 3/4 of the amount of the sugar called for in the recipe to avoid that fake sugar taste. I also use applesauce or baby food carrots in place of some or all of the oil/butter/etc. plus a couple T. ground flax. You have to play around with the recipes. The texture is a little denser and they won't ever taste quite as good as full fat and sugar but can be pretty tasty. Enough to satify the sweet tooth! Good Luck, Leanne

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking with Stevia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page