prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  08:56:36 AM  Show Profile
So, I am planning to work on the MJF badge for taking the weekend off and not using computer, TV, phones, etc. Well, my DH and I decided to take it a step further and do it for a whole week, plus not using any electricity (except for that needed for the fridge and freezers). I'm glad my hubby is interested in these types of things! We are still trying to decide when to do our week... still gathering items for it: all we need is a ringer to ring out wet clothes and maybe a rug beater. We also should pick a week when it won't be overly cold yet, since we don't have our wood stove yet.

I was wondering what you gals thought of this idea? I plan on keeping a journal of the experience and then posting it on my blog afterwards. My DH and I did a "test" day and found it very enjoyable and peaceful, so a whole week will be that much more peaceful.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  09:07:00 AM  Show Profile
I get to practice this many times during the year and sometimes for days on end. I love it but you have to be prepared. Since I have animals to tend to that require much more then me I have over the years developed working protocal that no I do not even worry if the power goes down. I wished more folks would at least try this because they would appreciate more when the power is on, they might learn not too use so much and heck, they might learn to talk to each other over candle light.

Good luck and keep us informed how it goes.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  6:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
Good for you! Wow. I have been wanting to try for that badge, but haven't yet. Please let us know how it goes!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a peaceful time. Actually, also sounds like my first years of marriage. You don't really need a wringer if you have a washboard and strong hands. Also, I've used a broom on my carpets, or you could just wait a week, and then plug in the sweeper. Have fun!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  1:07:28 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Grace... it is an excellent opportunity to be more grateful for the things we have that make our lives easier! Thank you for the tips Judith... duh, why didn't I think of a broom? You could probably use just about anything to whack the carpets with!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  2:28:11 PM  Show Profile
We have tried it before and it is amazing how much you reach for that light switch and don't even notice. We are planning on going off grid and putting in a solar system very soon. So we have been cutting electrical devices daily. I saw a great hand washer that caught my eye. Boy I never thought I would say that.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  05:15:38 AM  Show Profile
LOVE IT--I have been wanting to do a "Pioneer Week" here too. Really wanted the kids to get a feel for it. My favorite time is when the lights go out--so peaceful. A good time is now in remembrance of 9-11, I think. A good perspective ont he freedoms we DO have.

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  12:01:37 PM  Show Profile
This post soooo reminded me of when we were getting ready for Y2K. We'd always been prepared for anything, so one week we did a test to see where we were still lacking, before the clock struck midnight in Dec. 1999. We turned everything off and much to my surprise, all we really needed was a better root cellar and alot more candles.
I think it's a wonderful plan! Could be an eye-opener for you.

I think it's better to plan for no electricity at all then to become dependant on a gas powered generator. Once the gas is gone you'll have to figure out how to live without electricity anyway. Might as well eliminate the middle man.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  8:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Couldn't have said it better myself, Debbie. If my freezer went out, it's time to make jerky!

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

LethaDear
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Letha
Bowling Green MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  2:41:13 PM  Show Profile
That's how we live when we are at our farm and we love it. We don't even have running water so we have to make exceptions for that as well. It's the most peaceful time we have together. We work our fingers to the bone but when all is said and done I would rather live that way.

Letha

Letha

To speak kindly, does not hurt the tongue.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  3:41:01 PM  Show Profile
We lived without electricity for 5 years, with the right things, its not hard, just takes a little to get use to it, once one has had electricity....it is dooable though...

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic No electricity week Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page