Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Closet inventory Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  04:00:55 AM  Show Profile
I was just looking through my closet and came up with these figures: I have at least twelve items that were bought at resale or tag sales; I have seven fair trade items; at least fifty percent of my clothes are five years old or more. I find as I get older the pickier I am about clothes. I hate shopping at dept. stores, even the nice ones. I just can't wear something knowing that some poor person in Vietnam is working for two dollars a day to make it. How do you recycle/reuse/restyle your threads?
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  09:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Well being a weaver, I'm looking forward to being able to rip up my clothing and weave it in to rugs, mats, hot pads etc. Not exactly what you were looking for but if I can take something purchased prior to me having an objection and still use it as something useful, all the better!
LR
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  07:32:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't buy in department stores either. Not only are those people underpaid but the clothes are overpriced for the quality. That's really irritating.
Funny thing is, you can get the same stuff at Walmart or Target if your willing to brave those places.
I just hit the thrift stores in the off season. That way things are getting reused and when I finally wear them out [clothes only last a season or two with me], I make them into fabric crafts.
No sense in wasting stuff.
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  08:51:09 AM  Show Profile
I buy almost exclusively at thrift stores. Looking in my closet, I have only a couple of items that were bought new. Something I saw a couple of years ago on Oprah. Turn all your hanging items with the hanger hook facing outward. As you wear and rehang, turn them back to face the back of the closet. At the end of the season, a quick glance will show what you never wore. Get rid of it!! I did that with my side of the closet and it was a revelation. I did it with DH's side and he is still resisting throwing them out or donating them. I'll keep working on that.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  07:52:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm off today and planning on going through my closet, clean,organize,donate,some things to consignment (unfortunately I've gained weight again). I was reading a blog yesterday about a lady who makes ALL her own clothes and her kids...got to admire that...wish I had that kind of determination & skill, I may never be able to do that but I am motivated to do something. Tons of stuff in my closet I rarely wear,doesn't fit, etc. I have gobs of fabric just sitting there, need to brush up my sewing skills, get more familiar with my sewing machine other than straight stitching..LOL..and go for it. There will be mistakes, and I'll probably make things that are disastrous, but that's how we learn. Many of my favorite things were gotten from thrift stores & consignment, I'll be honest the clothing I'm seeing in the stores right now are just plain ugly, ill fitting, cheaply made with poor quality fabric but a hefty price tag, I'm sick of it. After just a few washes they look awful! I will say I got some 100% cotton zip up hoodie cardigans that I'm sure I'll get a lot of wear this winter, I'm not big on wearing heavy coats, wear more jackets & sweaters. I'm felting some wool sweaters, hope I can make something fun out of them that will be useful & cute.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  07:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Check out whipup.net for some really creative ideas ! Neat site!
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  6:36:45 PM  Show Profile
felted sweaters make really cute purses anita, they are really cool to work with because you can cut them up and sew different patterns with them. hope you have fun with them!

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

CindyLous
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Cindy
Keizer OR
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile
I love thrift stores and when I want something new I love to look at places like Ross' and TJ Maxx. I have even found some great buys online at one of my favorite stores that I really only can buy it when it's on sale or my favorite thing a denium skirt. I'm tired of hanging on to things that don't fit and I won't wear. So I am going to see if I can repurpose some stuff and get rid of other things.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Just went through my closet to trade summer for winter cloths. I have gained back the weight from last yr loosing 25lbs. So I have gotten rid of alot of cloths. I dont have much to wear now. But after going through the winter cloths I have found that I do have enough for work. And I have 1 pair of overalls. i would wear overalls all the time if I could...but I do work out in the real world so I cannot. Now all I really need is undies....and I will be ready for another yr.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  11:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
for the first time in neary 2 years all my clothes are unpacked and up in the closet...wow! there's a lot. the sad part is that since i bought many of them as work clothes in the retail world, i really dont like most of them. the pieces i realy like are starting to show thier age, so right now i am on a mission to wear everything out or remake it into something i will wear out. tomorrow i am combining a dress (cute but too low cut), a t-shirt (fits a bit off), and a silk scarf (very pretty colors but i never wear it) into an all "new" dress with a cowl neckline and rouched patch pockets. if i am feeling extra motivated, i am going to alter a huge wool sweater (bought out of desperation over last years cold snap) into a mini jumper to wear over skinny jeans or leggings and a long sleeve t.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  08:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, this is why I need a sewing machine. I generally shop clearance at Target and Old Navy (and I feel guilty about the sweatshop labor but they don't usually have young people clothes at the thrift stores around here), but aside from the odd thing here and there, I haven't bought any new clothes (or shoes! Amazing...) in a long, long time. And I'm starting to choose stuff that will wear well and last.

Just a mini rant - I hate that Levi men's jeans are so much more durable than the women's! Or really, that men's clothes in general are so much more durable! Annoying to the extreme...

Okay, at any rate, I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and they were having a sale on Simplicity patterns, so I bought some more. So I have ooodles of adorable remnant fabric, patterns, and I even have a craft room (unused, we just moved in 6 months ago), but no sewing machine! The goal is to steal the boy's mom's old one and see if I can't craft me some adorable summer tops. And maybe a cute dress or two. Gotta take it slow though, haven't sewn in years!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  11:29:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, even if you haven't sewn in years Sarah, at least you have the ability to sew clothes. I seem to have a hard time with simple things like curtains and pillows!
Gonna try and make some place mats this week.
Good luck on your projects!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  3:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh No!! Our only thrift shop has closed!!! It was only 8 miles away and I always found wonderful bargains. . . every item was only $2.00 each and once a month it was "fill a bag for $10.00" It's amazing how many items you can fit into a bag!

The next nearest thrift store is almost 2 hours away sigh,

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  05:36:26 AM  Show Profile
Joanna I saw on TV yesterday that a group has started swapping and remaking clothes. The web site is swap-o-rama-rama. I love the idea. The idea has not come to GA yet. But it did get me thinking.... why could a group of people in a community or church group have a swap? Everyone could bring in clothes they no longer or can wear....and swap with someone else. I really like the idea that no money is exchanged. I know at my quilt retreats we are always swapping fabric with each other. Just a thought, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  10:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
barbara,
that is a great idea, but make it a bit more fun by supplying a few sewing machines, embrodery floss, beads, fabric paint etc... encourage the ladies to help eachother recreate outfits and have some pics of upcycled garments on hand for inspiration. maybe have a mini fashion show at the end.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

CindyLous
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Cindy
Keizer OR
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  3:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Go Sarah!
My DH bought me a rather inexpensive less then $100 machine several months ago. I also have an old Singer and my mom old Bernia. I wanted something I would not be afraid to sew paper and fabric on and to re-learn to sew. I finally got brave. I made some Christmas presents out of felt, sewed a doll nightgown, mended a blanket and had the time of my life. Now it's on to up-cycling some other thrift store finds and old clothes.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Enjoy the old Bernina!!!! Mine will be 29 this year. Went to replace it with a newer model and they wanted as much as a good used car. Bought a walking foot instead and saved my money. My closet is over whelmed with thrift store finds. Yikes, I have decided not to buy any clothes except undies for the next year. I hope this works and I can wear out some of these extra clothes.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  07:25:02 AM  Show Profile
I just read the post about a clothing swap, and let me tell you - it's WAY WAY WAY fun. My girlfriends and I do it at least once a year, and we always have a hoot of a time.

We swap everything from clothes to belts to shoes. We've found it's best to have about 10 people at a time. Then he draw numbers and go in order by the number we've drawn. We watch anxiously to see if anyone takes what we have our eye on!! After trying things on, some items go in the MINE pile or they go back on the line for someone else to claim.

After about five or six rounds of choosing, then it's a free-for-all. And leftover clothes that no one wants heads to the nearest thrift store.

Add in some good food, and it's one of those events that we all look forward to every year (usually in the spring/summer - though it doesn't really matter on the season).

PS - We've also had a household item swap that was fun too. We've only done that once as most of us just want to get rid of household stuff, not add more. But it's a good way to reuse first...

Denise - Farmgirl #1976
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:02:15 PM  Show Profile
UPDATE - I don't have a sewing machine YET, but the boy's parents have an old, all-steel 1970s, table-mounted one his mom doesn't use anymore. Once the snow melts, we're pulling it down from the attic and then it's going into my craft room (yes, I have one, no it's not organized and I never use it).

Also, I have a friend who is a fashion designer and another friend who quilts and we're going to try making duct tape dress forms for each other and then my fashion designer friend is going to teach us how to sew for your own body and pattern-make. No commercial patterns and tailoring necessary. If we manage to do arms and legs in addition to just the torso for the dress forms, we could even do pants and hem skirts to the right length without even trying anything on!

Of course, you can't lose or gain any weight, but still. I'm excited!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  5:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Back to cleaning out closets, hubby shirts can be remade into cute, feminine tops. I recently remade 2. One was a navy/white striped polo shirt that I took off the sleeves, cut the neck into a vee removing the strip of buttons, and then removed a pocket. I took 2 wide strips of flat lace and sewed them across the upper chest area where the pocket was. Also, I added a little panel of lace under the vee neck area to give a layered look. I cut off about 2 inches off the bottom and sewed it with my stretch sewing machine foot to give it a frilly? feminine look. Its really cute and it cost nothing since I already had the lace on hand. The second shirt I used some white knit material I had on hand to make "sleeves" and a dicky to go under the new scoop neck I cut out. the sleeves were sewn under the existing short sleeves to make the shirt into a warmer long sleeve shirt. I also took it in a little to give it a more feminine look. Its comfy and warm! I'm thinking there's got to be many ways to redo men's polos into ladies wear. I've got my eyes on a couple more shirts he's hardly worn,.....

Judy
Farmgirl 932

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Closet inventory Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page