Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Homemade candles - questions :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Homemade candles - questions :) Next Topic  

ruralsweetheart
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Amelia
Saginaw Michigan
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  7:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I really want to make a couple homemade candles for Christmas presents, but I've never done it. Could anyone give me some information on homemade candle making? What you use, how much it costs? Etc.

Thanks for any help!

A farmgirl exudes kindness, grace, humility, gentleness, patience, and generosity, and loves the simple pleasures in life <3 #1960 :)

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  8:17:11 PM  Show Profile
I started saving the "stubs" from candles that no longer burn. I take out the old wick, take the paper and that little metal thingy off, and melt them in an old coffee can. Then I pour them into 1 or 2 pint half and half cartons that I have placed new wicks in. New candles! Now I realize that is sort of cheating, but, I can't bear to throw away perfectly good candle wax.
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  9:12:34 PM  Show Profile
I think it would depend on what kind you'd like to make and how involved you'd like to be. Beeswax makes the best candles (in terms of burn, smoke and smell) and you can make one of those VERY easily by purchasing a sheet of beeswax from the craft store and simply rolling it around a wick. You can use this method to make a taper or a pillar. The cost will basically be the sheet of beeswax. Or you can purchase all the "equipment" to make candles...something to melt the wax in (which must be dedicated to wax), the wax, scents, colors, wicks, utensils and molds. Or like Melody said, you can get by with using things you have around - coffee cans, milk cartons, but whatever you use to mold your candles needs to either be something you can tear off when the candle is solid or you need to grease it so that you can get the candle out. I saw a Martha Stewart episode once where she used those little tart tins to make cute little tea lights. She just put a wick in the bottom and filled it with wax and left it right in there. You could also do something like that as long as it's made to take the heat. And then you'd have to make sure that you burned it on something that would not be hurt by something hot and metal being set on it. Anyway, I hope this gave you some ideas. I'm not sure of costs for the wax and beeswax because they will vary a lot depending on where you are, where you get them and the quantity. Good luck and have fun!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
http://fabulousfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  10:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Can someone give me a place that I can get candle making suplies at a good price. We have no craft stores around me for at least 100 miles so I need to order online. Thank you

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  06:34:13 AM  Show Profile
I get my supplies from Nu-Scents, and have always been extremely pleased with thier quality and service. I especially like their dyes and scents, and they have definite savings if you order in bulk.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  8:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Another tip for getting the candles out of the mold is putting it in the freezer for a little while, the candle will pop right out.
Liz

In God We Trust
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Homemade candles - questions :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page