kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  4:45:08 PM  Show Profile
I want to make all my gifts this year for Christmas and need ideas for men. I am drawing blanks here. I am coming up with all kinds of gifts to make for kids and women.

So if anyone has easy homemade gifts to make for men, please tell me! Thank you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  6:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Food is always good. =)
Homemade sauces, a BBQ apron and a new spatula.
Winter scarf.
Trunk organizer.
Golf towel.
Homemade ice cream topping basket.... chocolate, berry, caramel, etc.

That's my initial thoughts.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  05:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Kris~ Homemade shaving bar, face soap for men (not girly smelling) fleece scarfs, hankies with initials, wooden box to hold thing in truck or trunk of car.... I hope this helps.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  5:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I'm in the same predictament you are! I decided to maybe try my hand at making homemade chocolate dipped pretzels.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  6:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Do you knit? I have knitted scarves for my husband, brother, and stepfather, and a camoflage hat for my dad who is a hunter. They loved them. And food is always a hit!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  8:04:58 PM  Show Profile
I make homemade candies and pies for the guys. They also like knitted skull caps and bbq towels with the big clip on the corner to put on their belt loop when grillin.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  8:15:51 PM  Show Profile
I've made canvas carriers for bringing in firewood, wooden dowels in the ends of a stip of fabric carried by both handles together, and hanging pocket thingies for sets of wrenches and drill bits, Heavy canvas and leather could be a shop apron. This year I'm considering making a "skeeter hat" by putting some kind of netting around a hat.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Nicole

I have been thinking about knitting in camoflage pattern for a while - as a present for men!!- but can't find any patterns for it and am worried if I work freehand the pattern would start well but would degenerate into a mess after a while espicially when increasing and decreasing.

Any tips would be very welcome!!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:30:27 PM  Show Profile
How about a boot scraper? I even think in MJ's book or maybe one of her magazines, she has directions to make one. If its not in one, check the internet, I knwo I have seen directions for one somewhere....

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:38:19 PM  Show Profile
I almost forgot I had posted here. Thank you all for all the great ideas. I don't knit but had learned a few years back. I need a refresher course so I can make some knitted hats. My new SIL wears those as do my grands. And hubby could use one also as he is getting a little sparse up there lately. I will be thinking about all these great things you all have suggested. I really appreciate them all. And of course food for guys is the ultimate thing! Guys gotta eat. I like the canvas shop apron idea.

I am wanting to make all my gifts this year so this will help alot. Thanks again. And keep those ideas coming please!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  5:09:10 PM  Show Profile
My husband Fly Fishes. I purchased a vintage look Fly Swatter and hung fishing flies on it. I then placed the swatter end in a cello bag and tied with plaid ribbon (in manly colors). Very cute and practical too!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  07:36:20 AM  Show Profile
I have given the guys in my family jars of salsa & chips. They love it. Most of them save it for the ball games on New Years Day/SuperBowls.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  4:58:57 PM  Show Profile
What about a photo collage or calendar made from special photos?

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  5:10:47 PM  Show Profile
And some more good ideas. Ya'll are so good at this. Thanks. I like the calendar. And my new SIL and DD are football fans. They also like to fish but in ponds around here. I could still do something like that for them. They just got married so I need to be thinking of things for them. This is great ya'll. Thanks so much.

I just googled felted wool projects and have alot more good ideas now. Like coffee cup wraps. I need to go the the thrifts tomorrow and get lots of wool sweaters. What fun. I need to get busy!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  6:29:12 PM  Show Profile
dont forget to post pictures and directions!

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  9:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Yep, Karla....FOOD! It's always a big hit for the guys in our family. Salsa, sausage, bread, caramel corn, jerky...they love it all (and I've noticed they hoard it!) LOL

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  4:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Aftershave...I have made a real light lotion one as well as one that is really a gelled aloe. Men in my family loved them! Male a great pair with a matching soap. Some like scented, some not. Also, I agree with anything food oriented, especially grilling relates.

Can you believe that the men in my family have also demanded that I make them jewelry? Almost caused me palpitations the first time, I had never made guy jewelry! But the male kids wanted necklaces like their girl cousins had, so I had to get over my fears. Manly, but yes, necklaces, and they loved them!

Also, you gotta know your guy - they are conditioned to not show it, but some of them are real sentimental and if they don't have to tell their guy friends, they can really get into personalized mementos like small scrapbook albums, especially of their kids, or deceased loved ones.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  2:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the good ideas ladies. I was wanting to make lots of homemade stuff for christmas myself. I'm going to crochet a nice scarf for my hubby. He doesn't have one.

One year I made a very simple quilt out of old jeans and $1 flannel. My husband LOVES his quilt. And it's nice and heavy. I am not a quilter and did have some help but it was so simple. And I sewed the pieces together and then just places some yarn here there and everywhere on it. So there really wasn't any "quilting" to it. It was a very nice big present for him.

My mother-in-law also crochets afgans for us. We love them and we all have one. I keep them in the living room so when we watch tv or whatever we always have a nice little blanket. We just love ours.

Good Luck!

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://applesaucemom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  06:07:13 AM  Show Profile
All my guys can't wait to get their own big bags of jerky. I have done this for them for years.

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Cathy, have you got a recipe for deer jerky? I will be getting some deer meat soon and that would be a good thing to make with some of it.

Reina, I like the jeans quilt idea. My hubby drives a truck and has to go up North alot. That would make a really nice cover for him.

Catherine, thanks for all your good ideas also. I will be checking this quite often now. So thank you all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile
I have knitted scarves for my sons and they seem to like them. Adam used his last year. I make sure the scarves are in masculine colors. Also men love baked goods. Men just love to eat period! LOL!

Barb

http://barbaralucore.etsy.com
http://blucore.avonrepresentative.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jeans quilts are great! So nice and warm! Good idea.

http://barbaralucore.etsy.com
http://blucore.avonrepresentative.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  1:42:44 PM  Show Profile
One year I took some of the kids art work to a local printer and had them made into note pads for my husbands desk. He loved it and the kids were so proud that they made something he could use at work. I think we even did that one Father's Day with Girl Scouts. It was very inexpensive, and if it is a local family run type place maybe you could barter some baked goods or a hame made meal.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

JulieJ
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Julie
In The Trees MD
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  04:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Catherine - Urban Chickie - could I get your recipe for for the aftershaves? I think my DH and BIL would like those. They both have trouble with some of ths ore bought stuff.
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile
I just posted a great idea on my blog--a quilt made out of t-shirts. You use t-shirts that have some kind of design on them, and it's super easy to make.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile
Sure! For the lotion version, literally take a formula for face lotion you already like, and make it a bit more watery than usual, you're just making it thinner. Folk differ on what they like in a face lotion, so I don't have one one tried and true formula to recommend. I use a few different ones for different skin types. Basic lotion making is easy but writing down the instructions would take a really long time.....there are supply sellers online that have good beginner formulations. I love Lotioncrafters in particular and many of my recipes started as versions of their formulas.

The aloe vera gel can be trickier, but doesn't have to be. There are different ways to get aloe vera juice to gel...you can just buy the stuff at the store that's already gelled, or you can use an ingredient that gels it for you. Because I make things in small batches periodically, I use a dehydrated, concentrated aloe vera powder mixed into distilled water and then gelled with a product called Structure XL. It's a white powder that is best added to the water phase slightly warmed. To make it easy on yourself, you can start with store bought aloe vera gel (which, despite those 100% labels, is really aloe vera juice with a gelling agent and a preservative) and just use the juice weight. This is the formula I have been using:

4 oz aloe vera juice (or gel if you want)
.24 oz Structure XL (omit if starting with gel)
1 TBSP witch hazel (nice astringent for after shaving)
1 TBSP jojoba (great facial emollient)
20 drops Polysorbate 80 (emulsifies emollient)
10 drops fragrance oil, if desired (EOs also could be used but use proper amounts per weight)
.05 oz Optiphen (I would think you could omit this if using store bought gel, as that is already preserved)

You really just need to mix with a whisk and you're done! If you use a gelling agent like structure XL (which is a corn derived starch), you need to let it sit a while to give it time to gel. This is a nice small batch, great for gift giving. If you don't have a scale that can measure ounces in those fine of increments, you can easily quadruple this to make more at one time and still have precise measurements. And for truly sensitive skins, you can easily leave out any scents, and add allantoin to help soothe.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic I need homemade gifts ideas for men Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page