True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  07:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

my husband and i currently rent. We live on long island, NY- not a very affordable place to live. I have been looking at farmhouses to buy off long island. I can't believe that for a fraction of what you'd pay here- you can get a bigger house with A LOT of land! The problem? my husband has over 10 years to put into his job or he will lose his pension :(

My kids are already 22 & 16- I am 41 and my husband 44. By the time 'we can leave' i feel we may be 'too old' to buy a home. I want to live a simpler life, live off the land more, be more self sufficient, and have more 'ruralness' around me.' I dont want to stay here and struggle. It depresses me.

Do you think when we are in our 50's it will be practical to make this move? I need hope.

Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Edited by - naturemaiden on Sep 06 2010 07:39:55 AM

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile
good morning connie, i think anything is possible. planning is helpful. i know the feeling you have. we lefy yhe busy life in santa barbara and moved back to our roots when we were in our forties. maybe you could shop now figure out exactly what you want and where. so sorry you are feeling down now. hang in there. working on your plan may bring your spirits up. thinking of you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  07:45:36 AM  Show Profile
I think it is a great idea at any age. Land will bring you fresh air, natural exercise, eating really well. If you have stress in your life now it will reduce this stress and you will enjoy the simpler things in life. I say go for it and enjoy the retirement years. Good luck.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  09:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it's a great idea at any age as well! Just because you have land doesn't mean you have to intensively work it. Besides "in your 50's" ISN'T OLD! You're only as old as you think you are. My great Aunt lived at home and did a lot of baking, cooking and canning up until she passed at 99! I say go for it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:10:33 AM  Show Profile
thanks girls, Alee we dont have land yet- that's the thing, we dont. I cant wait for the day when we can buy a home with land.
connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Keep dreaming and do it in the real world. You know what you have and what you must do. Go fishing on the web. Think of where you would like to go and why. Do your research. Then just play on the web and hunt. If you find something and can buy it so when you are ready to make the move it will be waiting for you. If you cannot buy what is wrong with dreaming. Keep in mind with the ecomony the way it is there will be more and more out there as people must unload when they can not pay. As for old. At 56 I am here to tell you you will not be to old you will be much slower and need to pace yourself with what you want and must do but it is very doable. Dream girl dream. Things happen when you never give up. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  12:08:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lilly,
thanks-i have searched on the web for farm houses in NC, PA & NY (upstate). I couldnt believe some of the houses i saw for a fraction of what you'd pay here and for a lot more land.
connie

Edited by - naturemaiden on Sep 06 2010 12:08:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  5:13:39 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I hope you can find the perfect place for your family. I had fun looking for mine. It is hard work and takes time to find that right place. But you will. Take your time and it will find you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  8:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Connie-
I am here on Long Island also. While we are fortunate enough to own our own home with about 3/4 acre, I can understand what you mean about looking elsewhere and what you get for the money. Long Island is very expensive. I think that I would pick up and move but my husband really wants no part of leaving. We've both been here our whole lives ( I am 44 he is just about to turn 45).
Keep looking and planning. Is there any possibilty of renting to "own"? where you are now. Have you considered that? At least your rent would be going towards your own place. Its probably tough if you want a decent amount of land though- I understand!
Perhaps one day we can meet and have tea? I am in Patchogue- but would love to take a nice drive out your way! I love the north fork!
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  08:17:20 AM  Show Profile
hey Connie,
Keep the dream,,,,and never think you are to old...my hubby & I got off the "Grid" when I was 53 & he 54...we both took early retirement, sold our home in Calif., & moved up to Washington.
He found a (very) less stressful job & I am still 'gainfully' un-employed...lol & loving it!...p.s. thank goodness I do get a pension, other wise I would have to go back to work.
We sold our little postage stamp sized home & lot and now live on 5 acres of dirt & weeds with an occassional tomato & gooseberry popping up! lol!
But my dream was to have a small manageble lavender field and that is what I now have.
Our next step is getting horses...but that will be in 2011 if I do my homework right.
So....don't get discouraged, don't give up your dream....
Maybe you can afford to buy your "dream" now, rent it out for the next 10 years and then transition to the country literally the day after hubby retires... or maybe buy some property (w/o a house) and then when you retire build a sweet little home/cottage on it.
hugz & never give up your dreams.
Hubby & I own land in AZ & FL.....which gives us options if we ever decide WA. is not the place we want to spend our "drooling years". lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Sep 07 2010 08:22:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile
Connie...you're never too old and the last time I looked, dreamin' was still free!
Practice homesteading/country skills and start gathering tools you'll need, while you're still in Long Island and the rest of the time figure out how you're gonna get your little place in the country. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and never lose sight of your dream. A little sweat helps too!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  10:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie,
i am already living as if i were on a prairie, lol. I garden, make butter, sew, and many other things. I cook in the fireplace as well. We use to have ducks and we really enjoyed the eggs. We had to re-home them when we moved here over 1 yr ago. We were very upset about that.
connie

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  3:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Then you already know what I'm talking about, Connie. Everything you learn now means that you won't have to learn it when you move off your "island". Only sad thing is that they quit making land a long time ago. So don't wait too long. Makes me happy to have our little place in the sun...
Good Luck!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic longing for a change Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page