christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  7:02:56 PM  Show Profile
ok farmgirls,, im thinkin about downsizing from a 3 bedroom home to a sailboat, anyone here ever done this? can a farmgirl really live on a sailboat??

"Life is'nt about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain" sister #1486

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  8:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Rose,
Shortly after we got married we moved from an apartment to a sailboat, we didn't have much
but we still had to put stuff into storage. We rented it from a friend, and a year or so later we
bought a 25 foot fishing boat. It had a lot more space, well thats probably not true it was just
laid out differently and had a little more space. We lived on it very happily for a couple of years.
Truth be told I wouldn't mind doing that again, there's nothing like being rocked to sleep...
I think I would go for a houseboat though, I need more crafting and gardening space now! We lived
in the Santa Barbara, CA harbor. Good times!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  8:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Nope, never done that....but you go for the gusto girl!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  9:19:01 PM  Show Profile
What an amazing opportunity! You only live once...why not?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  12:58:45 PM  Show Profile
thanks for all the kinds word farmgirls,,alaska is where i might start out, in the juneau, sika area,, do any of you know where i can look for books to read on downsizing from home to boat? rose

"Life is'nt about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain" sister #1486
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  2:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Rose are you planning to only live on board or sail too? Are you single or have a significant other? My son took the summer off a couple of years ago and bought a 29 foot Gulf Island sailboat and sailed from Vancouver Island to Alaska. Took his time and had a great time till the last sailing which he encountered some rough weather. It's currently in dry dock in Wrangell, AK (I think) I did buy him three books Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat by Mark Nichols, Vooyaging on a Small Income by Annie Hill, All in the Same Boat:Living Aboard and Cruising by Tom Neale. These are all on Amazon. Now he didn't have a three bedroom house to downsize from--I'm sure lots of stuff would be put in storage. Would you sell the house? Sounds like quite an adventure. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  5:49:36 PM  Show Profile
joann, thanks for the books to look into.. i would be living on and sailing, i am alone so far and may be hooking back up with my ex husband after 13 yrs apart,,he want to get a sailboat and live winters in hawaii and summers in alaska in the sitka juneau area, he lives in juneau now, and is looking for a boat,, i dont own the home im in , and i will probly store some family mementoes and sell the rest, except my maryjanes stuff... its all up in the air right now but am wanting to do tons of research before deciding if this is what i want to do for sure.... thanks for all the info rose

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  6:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Rose, there are lots of houseboats in the Portland Area. I am sure you could find something there. Or are you interested in "traveling the world" and seeing something besides a boat dock?

You have more courage than I do. But be sure to check it out thoroughly and let us know what happens.

Betty ini Pasco
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic downsizing to a sailboat? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page