Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Is the American Flag "Seasonal?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is the American Flag "Seasonal?" Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  5:51:24 PM  Show Profile
This afternoon I remembered I needed to buy a new American flag for the house for Labor Day (the last one got stolen right off the pole the night of the 4th of July...how patriotic! ). I went to the neighborhood hardware store, but they had closed early and are closed tomorrow, too. Walgreens didn't have one, and I didn't want to go to Wal-Mart, so I settled for the "lesser of two evils" and went to K-Mart.

After going through the whole store without success, I found an associate to ask where I might find one. She looked thoughtful for a moment and then said, "American flags are a seasonal item, so we don't generally stock them in the fall. But there might be one or two left in the garden center." So she opened up the closed-for-the-season garden center so we could look, and sure enough, there was only two or three dusty flags left on a display. (And, incidentally, they were really poor quality...screen-printed instead of stitched, and with a sleeve that goes over the pole instead of being attached to it with grommets.

Am I making too much of this, or does it seem REALLY wrong that the American flag is considered a "seasonal decoration?" I mean, flag etiquette allows (in fact, requires!) the flag to be displayed on other holidays than Memorial Day and the 4th of July, like Christmas Day, Columbus Day, etc. What do you think? Am I taking this too personally?

And after wasting $19.99 on a junky one, I'm off to find something nicer at Vermont Country Store or Lehman's or something.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  7:20:33 PM  Show Profile
No I don't think you're taking this too personally. My DH and I ran into this a couple of years ago, needing to replace a worn flag and took us forever to find one. I think it's a disgrace that these stores see them as mere decorations only fit for sale during the garden season, right along with the "welcome to the garden" flags. Shoot, you can display an American Flag 24/7 provided you do it correctly and we all probably should! We do live in America after all and we should be proud to display her flag.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  7:26:35 PM  Show Profile
I do not see how you can blame the stores....they base all their merchandising on consumer demands. Flags do not sell very well most of the year, so they are limited to the time of year they sell the most. It's really a limited window for about 95% of flag sales. I can assert this for my area at least, as I work retail and we sell flags :)
I think the shame is on the American public, who do not seem nearly as interested in displaying their flag as previous generations. I see more Mexican and Polish flags around here than I do American.....I am a rather ethnically diverse mutt myself so it's not the display of one's heritage that I find annoying but rather the lack of display for the country that is supporting us in every way. It sort of makes me sad.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  8:09:56 PM  Show Profile
I was really surprised when someone stole my flag right off the side of the house! It seemed a little sacreligious...something like stealing a Blessed Mother statue out of someone's garden. There are some things you just DON'T do! My street in town is pretty "into" displaying the flag. There's a lot of historic homes on this street, and they do flags, buntings...the whole nine yards.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  11:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
In the world of big box retail, Yes an American flag is seasonal. I think your best bet is a Mom and Pop Hardware store on Tuesday.
Several years ago,for an eagle scout project a young man started a flag project. It started small.For a full year, for all the flag days holidays, he posted flags every few yards along both sides of one block the main street . The VFW ,American Legion,and downtown merchants have helped it to grow. Now the main street north and south has 2 blocks and east and west has about a mile.It's really very pretty when the flags are all flying
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile
Even though I hate Walmart they do have flags year round and I have had to resort to buying there to get one. So I guess there is one good thing to say for Walmart
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  09:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Is the American flag seasonal? Is Patriotism seasonal?

We fly our flag 365 days a year!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  09:53:38 AM  Show Profile
We also fly our flag 365 days a year! With a light on it at night. I also replace it whenever it needs to be. I remember after 9/11 you could not find a flag to buy in any store because they were sold out. Everyone was flying one, what happened? Do we need to be attacked to become patriotic and fly our flag? Seems that a lot of Americans have a short memory. I for one, am proud to be American and don't mind showing it!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  10:53:38 AM  Show Profile
... maybe this link will be helpful.. in the future. The best about these flags.. they're American made!

http://emblem.legion.org/

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  11:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
We fly ours 365 days a year both of our dads served in the service. We had had one every day sence 1981. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  11:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Karrieann, that's a great site. Thanks for the link. I know where I'll be buying my next flag.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  2:18:20 PM  Show Profile
We fly our flag 365 days a year as well. When it gets tattered we replace it. We also display one in the family room. My husband is a Viet Nam Vat, my Dad is a Korea Vet and his Dad a WWII vet. Our flag flies all the time and I do not believe that Patriotism should be seasonal. Unfortunately though it is.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  3:34:20 PM  Show Profile
Next time you're wanting a flag & can wait a week for one,try browsing eBay! I've found not only good quality but a wonderful selection of historical flags,like Benningtons,Betsy Ross,so on & so forth.

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.biz (Etsy Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  11:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Not to beat a dead horse, but I was at Jo-Ann Fabrics this past week, and they had American flags (cheap ones, but flags still) with the summer clearance stuff. 40% off.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  12:57:50 PM  Show Profile
You can order one that has flown over the capital through your Senator/Congressman. They have different sizes. Made in America. Wide range of prices. Comes with a certificate. The flag is definitely not seasonal at our home --- my husband served in the Army almost 33 years.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  5:32:25 PM  Show Profile
I think Debbie said it best... Patriotism is not seasonal, so flying the flag shouldn't be, either. We bought ours at Wal-Mart, which supposedly sells them year round. We also bought the brand Annin, which is made in America. You can check out their website:

http://www.annin.com/

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  06:51:26 AM  Show Profile
We fly our flag with pride 365 days a year 24/7 at night our flag is lite with a light.
God Bless the USA.

Line Shack Farmgirl #1570
Cynthia

Happy Trails
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is the American Flag "Seasonal?" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page