Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any other spinners? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  08:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Just like with sheep, there are different types of dog hair. Some breeds such and Collies, Keeshonds, and Australian Shepherds have a soft fluffy undercoat which is barbed similar to wool and which can be spun the same as wool. Other dogs such as Golden Retrievers have true hair and in order to spin their coat it would have to be mixed with wool. I have read that dog hair is up to 10 times warmer than wool. I have Reynauds which means my fingers over react to cold temperatures and I would love to have mittens made from dog hair. I have a Belgian Sheepdog and an Australian Shepherd so perhaps some day I'll get organized enough to save their undercoat to be spun. The book that I had read on this subject was called Chien Angora. I don't recall the author and I don't know if it is still in print.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile
I have a book about spinning dog hair too. I have spun up some border collie, australian shepherd and like that. Samoyed is wonderful. They arn't very elastic so it is nice to mix with wool, depending on what you would be making though. I havn't spun dog hair in years though. I have basset hounds..so no fiber source for dog wool at my house!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any other spinners? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page