Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  10:50:05 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you spin, and/or have your own fiber animals? I have been spinning for about 11 years. I have sheep (Icelandic, Jacob, and churro) and an angora goat (mohair) and 2 angora rabbits. I mostly spin 2 ply yarn to knit with, but do a little bit of Navajo weaving.
I especially like to work with natural colored yarn, and have quite a variety with my own animals, but do like to experiment with natural dyes sometimes too.
Would love to meet other spinnners.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  11:27:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, I am a spinner too. I've been spinning for about 9 years I think. I love it. I just ordered some fleeces from Sky Line farms after reading about them in MJsFarm I'm very excited. Lately I've been spinning a lot of cotton because our local guild had Joan ruane out to teach us how to spin cotton. Before I was using a charka for it but now I can do it on the Schacht I'm much happier, I already wove up a couple of skeins of it into fabric that I'll make a top out of. I am getting a bit tired of the cotton though and am eager to finish off what I have and start on wool again. I usually knit too, but have been weaving with the handspun quite a bit more. Navajo weaving is lovely, I have tried it, but prefer weaving on the floor looms. What natural dyes have you used? Do you gather herbs or grow them or buy them? Oh yes, I have one angora bunny and a sheltie. Someday I'll have some sheep or alpacas or something like that I hope.
Elizabeth in California
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  11:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I get tired of cotton fast..not my best spinning when it's cotton. I spin on an Ashford Traditional. The only wheel I have ever owned. Sure wish I had a guild here to meet with. Did in Calif before I moved here. I didn't get to the meetings often, but sure enjoyed it when I did!
I would love to have a floor loom someday! That is my plan anyhow!
I have used silver dollar Eucalyptus, (had a tree in our yard in Calif)marigolds, calendulas, yarrow, lots of herbs and stuff, and a few weird things..not so natural I guess like pennies with amonia..gives you a nice sage green..turns the pennies black, but I had fun and it cost me about 25 cents!! I like to dye wool after spinning, but it depends. I love to dye mohair...it is so brilliant!!
I grow and gather alot of my own herbs...have bought very little. I hope to try some new stuff this year. I am getting enough of a collection of wool that I want to dye some of it.
What type is your bunny? Mine are both French angora..one is a wondeful quality white doe and then I have a not so hot (but still cute as can be) buff buck. They are both due for haircuts too! I hand shear my sheep (not electric shears) and still have quite a few to do. Each time it is a day I can shear it seems to rain!! Hopefully tomorrow I can get one or two sheared.
Do you spin the sheltie's fur??? I have spun some sheltie and some chow and australian shepherd before, and found that fun!! My dogs are bassett hounds...so no fiber there!!
How fun to know another spinner!!
I am making a trade to get some guanaco fiber..have you ever spun it? I havn't yet. I have a freind a couple hours away who has sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas and guanacos. I am excited to try it. I have been spinning up an Icelandic lamb fleece from the fall..an oatmeal color..nice soft stuff!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

teripittman
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Teri
Camas WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2004 :  11:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I spin and knit too. I have a Louet wheel (and can spin cotton on it) but am mainly known for spindles. My website is http://www.spindlitis.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2004 :  12:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow!! how neat...loved your site!! I have several spindles..but havn't become very good with them...can spin respectable yarn, but still have trouble with cotton. I think I just need to spend more time spinning cotton to get used to it. I would like to get a really lightweight spindle some time, mine are all a little bigger.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2004 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey there spinners and everyone else! Teri, I liked your site too, I liked the way you took a picture of yourself in the mirror, very resourceful. Jenny, what is guanaco fiber? Is it an animal fiber? I am curious to know how that turns out. Is is similar to yak? I spun some of that and am going to give it to my friend who is a prolific scarf knitter, she is of Siberian descent and feels connected to yak fiber. I'm not sure if yaks are from Siberia, but it sounds good to me. A good way to spin cottonis on a takli and rest it in a small bowl, just attach the cotton to your leader, give the takli a spin and draft back. It takes more twist than wool,. I am now weaving some handspun cotton and the yarn I spun at first is too lose and has broken off a few times, but the later yarn is holding up really well. I think taklis are pretty cheap to buy too (which is always a good thing). For weaving fiber though, I need so much and the takli and charka are so small, so I'm going for quantity with the wheel instead. Terri, are you on the charka list too? Jenny what guild were you in when you lived in California? I'm in the Ventura guild. We may know some of the same people. You know you should start a guild if there isn't one in your area, I know that I really need my fiber friends. They are the only ones who understand our language. see ya later! Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2004 :  3:05:02 PM  Show Profile
I was in the guild in San Luis Obispo. I lived 12 miles or so south of there. I think it was called Central Coast Weavers.
Yep, guanaco is an animal fiber....related to Llamas and like that. I have seen pictures but never met one in person.
I wish there was a guild here, starting one is a great idea. Hmmmm. I will have to look into that!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2004 :  12:56:41 PM  Show Profile
S.L.O. is such a nice town and I love Cambria, why did you move away?
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2004 :  9:53:01 PM  Show Profile
I love Cambria too. I used to see the rugs I hooked at a shop there..and it was my get a way place when I needed a creative boost.
I grew up in SLO county (Arroyo Grande) and loved it there, but longed for a smaller town, and affordable land..which there isn't any of there any more at all. Most all of my family is still there and we visit. But it sure is nice to come home to Utah!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

teripittman
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Teri
Camas WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  04:17:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm back. No, I'm not on the charkha list. I started that list and handed it off when I sold my charkhas last year. I'd recommend getting a takli to spin cotton (if you'd like to use spindles). I love using bead whorl spindles for cotton, but it is easier to learn using a takli. I can also spin cotton on my Louet wheel, but it requires a few adjustments. Took a wonderful class from Paula Shull, where we tried spinning just about every type of cotton that she had. One of these days, I'm going to have to try and spin up all that cotton I bought *grin*!
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  4:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey farmers & spinners!
I'm back too. Teri, you are the charka list mama! Well it's pretty informative. I had to change my Schacht back to double drive to spin wool, which is a hassle. I loved spinning the cotton on it and did get an awful lot done, but I think I'll go back to using the charka for cotton now, since it's a hassle to change my wheel around every time. Have you ever tried cotton on an Ashford or Louet(as those are my other wheel options)? I heard that it's impossible on the Louet, but I don't take "impossibles" too seriously. Jenny-you are lucky to have your own sheep & goats. Do they wear coats? I've wonder if putting coats on animals is uncomfortable for them, although it does keep their fleeces much cleaner. I haven't yet spun my Sheltie combings, but I'm collecting them. I have a lot of fuzz from my Golden retriever that died two years ago that I may spin soon, I couldn't stand handling it at first because it smelled like him and just made me too sad.
Where is Paula Shull located? I'm always looking for people to teach workshops here.
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  10:21:29 PM  Show Profile
No, my sheep and goats don't wear coats. I should look into it though. I had heard that its hard to get coats to fit the Iclandics right since they have a double coat which gets very long ( I shear twice a year) I assumed the angora goats would have the same problem. I would think it would be pretty hot for them here in the heat of summer wearing a coat. I really havn't had a real problem with too much junk in the wool so far.
I have spun a little dog fur and it is nice stuff. I have a book about spinning dog hair yarn. You are welcome to borrow it if you havn't read it. I enjoyed it.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 29 2004 :  3:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- I have read the book on spinning dog hair, it was great. But I haven't spun any dog hair yet. I have been a little reluctant to start on it because I was going to spin my golden retriever's hair he died two years ago and every time I smell it I get sad and miss him. I should do it though. When you spin dog fur do you card it with some wool? I hear if you don't the fiber's too warm to wear anyplace south of the Arctic Circle.
Teri-Did I see that you are teaching classes at the Black Sheep Gathering in Oregon? Or was that another Teri Pittman? I may go up to that, but am still undecided.
Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 29 2004 :  3:39:34 PM  Show Profile
I have carded some wool with dog hair to spin it, not because it was too warm ( I have never heard that about dog hair) but to make it more elastic.
I have always wanted to go to Black Sheep gathering! I hope one of you goes and then tells us about it!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2004 :  6:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I'm trying to go to the Gathering, if it fits the budget. I'll let you know how it it if I do go.
Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  10:05:08 PM  Show Profile
When I lived in Calif I tried so hard to go two different years and it never worked out. It was quite a drive and with kids at home and animals I just could never get away..will have to hear about it though. Sounds wonderful!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  5:56:29 PM  Show Profile
HI everyone, I just bought a spindle recently and a book but I can't seem to get the hang of it. Any advice on a really great book to get or website to go to?
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  10:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello Taylor,
What type of spindle did you buy and what book? If the spindle is a bottom whorl you can rest the spindle on a table top or the floor (if sitting on the ground) and practice spinning it like that first just to get the hang of it. When you are ready to spin fiber, you can spin without having to drop it. I've noticed this helps beginners and I learned this way. There are plenty of websites try www.urbanspinner.com that seems like a good one, and www.coppermoth.com . Good luck and have fun spinning.

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2004 :  12:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Is anyone else going to the Fibers in paradise conference from Association of Southern California Handweavers next year? There are going to be some great teachers there including Sarah Swett who was in the Shoulder to the Wheel issue of MJ's Farm. Here is the website if anyone is interested www.aschsite.org/2005.
Happy Spinning!
Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2004 :  12:47:27 PM  Show Profile
Remove the period after 2005 and the link will work... =;)

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Sandra
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  08:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, Clare, Elizabeth & all...I spin using the fiber from my Curly horses and the wool from my 28 Shetland, Romney & Merino sheep. I use an Ashford Traveler for demos & a Reeves for @ home spinning.

My 04 wool clip is being made into yarn, other years the clip was used for blankets, I'm negotiating to sell my 05 clip to an upscale shop who will do lots of value added stuff and mark it up a few thousand percent.

I use drop spindles on farm tours so the children can see the labor & effort involved in clothing production in by-gone days.

On my website is a fiber festival calendar; if you've never been, you should go. It's a fabulous way to meet like-minded women and have a terrific time. I've been teaching "How To Make a Small Farm Pay" at fiber festivals; teaching other people how to increase their farm income.

I do belong to a fiber guild but it's a 200 mile round trip for me so I don't go often. I'm pretty much in the eipicenter of Nowhere, VA. <g>

Sandra @ http://www.thistlecovefarm.com...a grasp on the past & a hold on the future...
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  09:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, I love your humor!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Sandra
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  3:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Clare - I laugh every opportunity I get. Lord knows the tears will also come.

Sandra @ http://www.thistlecovefarm.com...a grasp on the past & a hold on the future...
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2004 :  6:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Sandra. I also have an Ashford travelor. Got mine a long time ago when it was made with only one peddle. Moved, It was put into storage in South Dakota and we never got to move there so it was 2 years before we got back to get our stuff out of storage. I am just now beginning to learn to use it.
I too laugh every opportunity! You will find us a laugh loving group. As we all know , and as you have said, The tears will come.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2005 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello
I am a spinner in Western Washington State. I have a small sheep farm and have been spinning since 1972
Robin Near Mt. Rainier in Washington State

" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2005 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Robin..what type sheep to you have? I have Icelandic and jacob and love them. Always nice to have another spinner here.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any other spinners? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page