Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Looking for your Apple Sauce recipe--to preserve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for your Apple Sauce recipe--to preserve Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  11:59:00 AM  Show Profile
There are just too many out there and I have apples that need to be used :)

What's your favorite apple sauce recipe that I can preserve for my family?

Has anyone ever heard of one made with red hots?

I'd really appreciate it...my Violet will appreciate it, too :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:08:14 PM  Show Profile
I don't have recipe. I just wash the apples and cut them up. I just put enough water in the bottom of the pot so they don't stick fast when they are cooking. I cook them until they are mushy and put them through the food mill to remove the peels and seeds. I let it cool and put in containers and freeze it. I tried canning it 1 time but I had a mess. The applesauce cooked out of the jars and into the canner. I probably did something wrong. I don't add sugar unless the apples are really tart. When I thaw a container of the sauce for supper I add cinnamon to it.

I have never used the red hots but I have seen a recipe somewhere that did add them. I hope someone else can help you.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Laila...I was looking for something simple like your method. Some of them just seem too involved...I mean, it's applesauce for heaven's sake!

Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:38:37 PM  Show Profile
I've heard that it's best to use different kinds of apples for the sauce instead of just one type. Is that accurate?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  12:43:08 PM  Show Profile
I always use different types for my apple pie (3 different apples), so it's probably a good rule of thumb :)

Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  1:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Are there specific kinds you'd recommend to use (or stay away from)? I'm sorry, but I'm so new to all of this. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  1:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I know you should not use red delicious because they don't soften. You need an apple that will get mushy when cooked. I usually try to use macintosh. Someone ele might know of other kinds to stay away from.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I'm new to the forum but I couldn't resist answering this quesstion. I peel and cut up my apples, (1 kind or many types of apples work. I prefer winesap but use what you have on hand.) I put my apples in an oven proof pot such as a dutch oven, I prefer cast iron. Add just enough water to keep apples from sticking to bottom, put in the oven and forget them for about an hour. When apples have cooked tender I use an submersable blender to puree my apples. I add brown sugar and cinnamon to taste, finish cooking mixure to thick consistancy and process in canner. This is easy and my family and friends love it. I have been making it for 20 something years. You can also use pears and makes great pear butter.
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  5:51:07 PM  Show Profile
I've used all kinds of apples to make sauce. I think if you're going to use different varieties, you need to make sure they have all the same texture. My boyfriend's mom had a problem last fall when she made sauce with a dense/hard variety and a softer variety - she didn't watch it and the soft stuff burned before the hard ones even cooked!

My recipe is very simple - get a large stockpot going over medium low heat. Peel your apples and quarter them, peeling as you go. Slice them the long way into the pot. Don't add any water unless your apples are very dry. The apples you slice in first will cook first, turning to soft mush. The apples you add last will be tender, still-whole slices. At least, that's the point to which I cook MY sauce because I like it chunky. You could continue cooking until everything is soft and then put it through a foodmill if you want smoother sauce. Taste and add sugar to taste at the end.

And that's it! That's how my mom would make apple sauce and she canned hers, although I've never canned mine. Not yet anyway, although I might have to this fall now that I live in the Hudson River Valley - a place chock full of orchards!

Good luck!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  8:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just made my first applesauce ever, Jonni! I used my corer/peeler and put them in a pot with some water and some sugar since my apple tree is one of the tart kind(yummy). I put cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice in lightly- I probably used about a teaspoon of the mixture for 2 quarts. I put my food mill over a jug and milled it to take out the worst of the stringies and then put them into some hot jars and processed for about 25 minutes in a hot water bath. I left enough headroom that I didn't get any leakage. I am excited that I will have honest to goodness applesauce to feed to Nora throughout the winter. Completely organic and homemade! And super easy. It really is set and forget for the most part.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  03:42:20 AM  Show Profile
I made a lot of applesauce last year. It was my first year and we are still eating it! I have no idea what kind of apples I used, I really was just winging it but yes, I have used the red hots. I thought you were to add them after you have put the sauce in the jars, before you process. I did that thinking they would melt and mix in with the sauce but they only melted a bit and so after opening the sauce to eat, you have to stir them in. But...the sauce is kind of pretty in the jar becasue they only melted a bit.
I just used my peeler/core/clicer, added the apples to a pan with a little water and kept cooking and using a potato masher until all were cooked to the consistency I wanted. If the apples were a sweeter variety, I did not add any sugar or spices. I like an unsweetened apple sauce. (Oh, I did make a batch using Honey and that came out nice now that I think of it)

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

http://www.birchtreefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for your Apple Sauce recipe--to preserve Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page