Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  04:38:18 AM  Show Profile
I recently got a cheap food dehydrator that had never been used from my mother. I have apples drying in it this morning. I just went to rotate the trays and discovered that all of the trays have melted in spots! Uh oh!

So, I know that I like dehydrating food and now I need a new/different dehydrator. I want one with a fan and thermostat. I checked E-Bay and there are several models up for bid. There are some nice commercial ones available. Are the commercial ones more than I need for casual drying of vegetables and fruits? What dehydrators do you ladies recommend?

Thank you for your help!

Lida

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  05:30:06 AM  Show Profile
I love my Excaliber. It never disappoints. You can proof bread and make yogurt in it too. It dries everything evenly with out rotating shelves. And it has a wide range on the thermostat. You will never need to replace it.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  08:59:07 AM  Show Profile
I have the cheap model as well. Once I get better at dryin and usin the dried stuff, I think I might go for a commercial model. Be super careful with ebay. Starletta, another girl on the forum, bought a pressure cooker from ebay that said it was new in the box. She then was contacted by people from sears who told her it was bought by the seller with a stolen credit card and shipped straight to her from sears. They are workin with ebay to clear her and catch the person with the stolen credit card. I do believe that she is okay as far as they are concerned, but I don't think she will get her money or the cooker till they catch the guy.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  09:39:37 AM  Show Profile
I have a Nesco Garden Master and I have been happy with it. I've had it for about 8 years now. When it breaks though (which probably wont be for a long, long time) I'll invest in an Excalibur!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  11:14:19 AM  Show Profile
I have a Nesco as well -- just got it for Mother's Day. I love it! I dehydrate apples and bananas all of the time, and plan on doing some veggies and herbs this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile
I have a Nesco Professional 700 wt that I got from Kohl's with a $10 off coupon. It came with 2 trays for doing fruit roll ups (the ones made with applesauce are delish) & two trays for dehydrating small herbs (so when they shrink, they don't fall through the slots). So far I've been really pleased. It's not too loud, too.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  04:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the help. I appreiate that you took the time to help me! I think I will get a Nesco. Some day I might move up to the Excalibur, but not yet. I hope that Target sells Nesco Master Gardener because I have a gift card to there.

Happy drying!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  11:53:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking about investing in a dehydrator, and have been looking at the Nesco round and square. The square has the fan on top--does anyone have this model, and do you think it's necessary? (Of course this model costs more)

Many thanks,
Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  3:32:17 PM  Show Profile
i bought the square nesco on amazon- i'm happy with it!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  7:33:58 PM  Show Profile
Whoo hoo, I'm so excited! I ordered the Nesco FD-80 square dehydrator, and the additional finer mesh screens and fruit roll sheets today! Now I just have to wait until it comes...

Seems like every time I go to the grocery store, I see more things I will be able to make in my dehydrator!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  7:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I also have the Excalibur which has a fan, thermostat and timer, love it...I got the one with 5 trays but my Mom had the 10 tray...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  7:58:12 PM  Show Profile
I don't like using plastic in contact with food. Is there any version that is made out of something else?
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What type of dehydrator? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page