TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  09:33:31 AM  Show Profile
One of the gals at our local community garden has this in-dang-credible recipe for pickled asparagus... LOVED IT. So I'm wondering if you can pickle swiss chard stalks (using her asparagus recipe)?? It's a dill type, not sweet. Of course my question isn't if HER recipe works - I'm sure it would if it works at all to pickle them - but rather if, in general, anyone has any experience actually pickling swiss chard stalks???

I'd love to hear ya'lls thoughts!!!

~TJ

~TJ of Green Willow Place
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  9:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Gosh.what a great idea!! I think I will try that for sure!!! I always have great luck with swiss chard..this year is no exception..so I love the idea. When I make pickles in the next couple weeks sometime...my cukes are nearly ready..I plan to try this. I hope someone else has an answer for you. Could you post the recipe for the pickled asparagus? I love pickled anything!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  10:33:31 AM  Show Profile
This is her DEEEEELICIOUS pickled asparagus recipe - it makes 7 quart jars. I'm gonna have to cut it in half to pickle the amount of swiss chard stalks I've got ready to go! But at least it gives us somewhere to start:

Enough asparagus to fill the 7 jars, cut to fit to leave 1" head room. I think it takes about 10 dozen spears depending upon the thickness.
14 peeled and slightly smashed garlic cloves
14 hot chiles - fresh or dried
1 dill head or 2 T dried dill per jar
1/2 t whole peppercorns per jar
1 large bay leaf per jar
1/2 t whole mustard seeds per jar
1/2 t celery seeds per jar
1/2 t whole allspice per jar

Place the dill, garlic, chiles and spices in the jars. Pack the asparagus in tightly. It's easier to do by laying the jars on their sides.

Brine:

10 C water
3/4 C sugar
3 T canning salt
10 C cider vinegar

Bring these ingredients to a boil, then add to jars, leaving 1" headroom. Use a table knife to get any air bubbles out. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Try your best no to eat any for at least 6 months to let the flavors really develop.

Hope this works for you, and me too!!

~TJ

~TJ of Green Willow Place
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickling Swiss Chard Stalks?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page