Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I Found Elderberries. Now What?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I Found Elderberries. Now What? Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  6:00:44 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading somewhere about someone was making elderberry syrup. I can't remember where it was now. But I got to thinking I would love to have some and if they grow here in Ga. So this afternoon I am out back with the goats and looked up and there was an elderberry bush! Full of ripe berries all over it. Of course it's smack dad right in the middle of stinkin' blackberry bushes. So I went and got clippers and some bags and got a plastic bag full. They are really tiny. Like peppercorn tiny.

So what do I do now to make syrup? I am taking them off the stems now. I'll have probably close to 3 cups. Do I just cover with water and simmer then strain? I think the girl said she added a little honey to the juice and put them in jars. But then how much honey and how to process?

Does anyone know? Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  6:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Kristin I would recommend you take them to the county extension office to make sure they are a type that can be eaten. There are elderberries in the south that can not. There is a wonderful recipe for elderberry syrup in the Ball Blue Book. I never took the individual berries off the stem. I just trimmed them down to where there were not large stems and then boiled them down. You would then prepare the juice as you would grapes or any berry. I don't use much water because I don't like the watered down flavored jellies or syrups. I lived in Washington when I used Elderberries alot. Now that we live in East Texas I am surrounded by wild elderberry that I can not use. It is a strain that is not edible. I have tried planting several edible varieties with no success.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Aug 21 2010 6:16:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  6:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Kris,

I have used this recipe to make Elderberry Syrup for cold and flu season. I keep the unopened bottles in the freezer to preserve them. I found the recipe here:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/herbsrecipescommoncold.htm

You can also make Elderberry Jelly.

Make Your Own Elderberry Syrup for the Cold Season
1 cup dried elderberries (you can purchase dried elderberries from http://www.bulkherbstore.com/ or http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ ). If you have a source of fresh elderberries you can also use about 3 cups fresh to equal the 1 cup dried
3 cups water
1 ˝ cups honey
Optional, but not necessary is a tablespoon of brandy. This helps preserve the syrup.

In a large pot combine the elderberries and water. Bring this to a boil and reduce heat. Let simmer for about 1 hour, uncovered. Strain out the elderberries. You can use an old clean dishcloth to strain your berries (but it will get stained so make sure it is an old one). Add the honey and optional brandy and stir till dissolved. Store this syrup in the refrigerator in a glass canning jar or if you did not add the brandy then store in smaller bottles in the freezer. This way you can take a small bottle out as needed. When you or someone in your family shows the first symptoms of a cold or the flu begin taking spoonful two to three times daily. An adult spoonful would equal about a tablespoon and a child’s spoonful would be a teaspoon or so.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  6:27:34 PM  Show Profile
I second the checking with your extension office to make doubly sure that what you have is indeed elderberry. I was so excited the other day when I thought I had found a bush growing in the field near my home that looked just like elderberry, only to find out that in the South there is a bush that looks nearly identical but is highly poisonous and what I was excited about was the very poisonous version.(darn it)So do check with your extension office for sure. Be safe when foraging for wild plants. If in doubt, do without! Or find someone who can give you a definitive answer on what you have found before you consume it.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  6:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Well shoot! Will they last til Monday? I could just call then I guess. They should know without looking, right? Thank you all for your help. And Sharon, thanks for the recipe.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4234 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4234 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  04:24:29 AM  Show Profile
Hope your elderberries are useable Kris. I have picked once so far. Need to get out today and pick again. We have a juicer pot that my sister and I bought. It works wonderful, and no added water in your juice. Years past we did like the girls mentioned above. Simmer till they loose their color.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  05:22:42 AM  Show Profile
I want one of those steamer juicers. Is that what you have, Michele? That would be a very handy thing to have. And they realy aren't that much money either.

I for got to mention I did taste one of the berries to see if it was sweet. And it is very sweet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  12:15:19 PM  Show Profile
The elderberries we have here in Indiana are very very tart. We mix them with sweet grapes to make jam with. It is an amazing tasting jam too.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  3:25:44 PM  Show Profile
I was looking at videos of people making syrup. Everyone has a different way to do it. I went ahead and juiced the berries with a little cinnamon and nutmeg. I will wait to add honey til I am for sure they are safe. I have my dark bottles ready. I hope they are good.

Angela, thet sounds good mixed with the grapes. I can't wait til my grapes start bearing. It might be a few years though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  10:54:36 PM  Show Profile
My aunt and my dad have always had grape vines goin, so I usually get more than I can use. I have several people who let me pick from their gardens and fruit trees when they are done, so I take them grapes and other goodies I make with their extra produce in trade. I have learned a lot of ways to use pretty much everything that can be grown or gathered. Some combinations sound weird, but are a nice combination, and can offer a different taste to something we're startin to get tired of. I hope your syrup turns out good! We just made a batch of mulberry syrup to spice up our pancakes.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  08:44:11 AM  Show Profile
I called the extension office and of course they guy I spoke to will have to do some checking. SO I have to wait to find out. I was out walking yesterday and found some more berries. I sure hope these are good.

I would like to make some mulberry jelly and syrup too. My DD used to live in an apt. complex and they had the biggest mulberry tree right where she had to park. She had my yellow VW at the time. Really cute with big purple bird poop splattered all over it. She had to start parking away from the tree til it quit with the berries.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the visual Kris

I have never had mulberries but heard they are very good :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 23 2010 5:59:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  11:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Sharon! Couldn't help that.

I heard back from the extension guy. He said that the water hemlock looks alot like the elderberry. The leaves on the elderberry are opposite each othere where the water hemlock's leaves are alternate. I just went out to look and yep, these are opposite leaves. On one of the videos I watched yesterday, the guy said the elderberry leaf is all one leaf but separate along the stem. So yay, these are good elderberries. he also said to make sure they are ALL ripe and dark purple almost black. That the green berries and stems are toxic. I am so glad these are good. Now I can finish the syrup.

Just thought ya'll might like to know this bit of information when looking for elderberries yourselves.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  5:39:01 PM  Show Profile
My recipe is pretty much the same as Sharon's. I just wanted to add that some folk use the elderberry syrup as a cough syrup, or take it daily during flu season as a preventive. Since I have RA, I drink one tablespoon of the syrup daily, year round. It helps balance the immune system. If you have access, use raw honey in it and don't heat the honey to get that extra immune benefit. It's good in kombucha or tibicos, or drizzled on vanilla ice cream. But beware drinking too much just because it tastes good - it can be a laxative in quantity.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  6:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, that's what I wanted it for. So it's ok to take some every day? I just thought it was better to take it if you felt like a cold or flu was coming on. But it is for the immunes system also? I did use raw honey and just got the juice warm enough to stir it in to disolve it. So how much should I take for the immune builder each day? And what about kids?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  4:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, I first learned about elderberry syrup while on a kombucha board a while back and there were a couple knowledgeable herbalists on there. They recommended a tablespoon a day for an adult, less for a child (maybe a teaspoon, depends on the size of child and their tolerance re the possible laxative effect). They said to do so to help prevent illness, but if you do get ill, you could take as much as a tablespoon an hour, not to exceed about 6 doses a day. Not only general immune boosting but also a great cough syrup, as long as you don't drink water or something after and rinse it off the throat! Last winter I got a bad cold, the first since I developed RA a few years back, so I was real nervous about how both the RA and the RA meds would affect the cold-fighting. I have heard of some folks getting horribly ill with a simple cold when on meds that are meant to generally lower your immune system (well, duh!). I swear that the elderberry syrup helped! I rarely get sick, but when I do wham! I know how sick I got but it lasted such a short time it was eerie, when I get like that I am usually out of commission for a week at least but on the third day I was getting much better already. Who knows, maybe it was my overactive immune system after all, but I really think the syrup helped! I had been taking it daily but did the multiple dose thing the first few days of the cold. Besides, I really like the flavor :)

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  5:06:44 PM  Show Profile
I need to order tea and this thread reminded me I am low on dried elderberries as well....came across this article on various herbal remedies and thought it might be of interest. It talks about elderberries and other things:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/newsletter/09/January/winter.html

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  6:53:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Catherine. Last year I bought some at the health food store and it was very expensive. So now I know how to make it. I think I will just get dried elderberries next time and make it as needed. It really is easy.

Do you alcohol in yours? I have seen several different ways to make it and some use alcohol. I think the stuff I bought has it in it because it's really like cough syrup. This I just made has honey.

Thanks for the link. I will look at it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  7:55:25 PM  Show Profile
No, I don't add alcohol, but I do store it in the frig. The batches I make last several months. I have added cinnamon and cloves to the boiling brew, that might help too. I use dried because I am in a tiny apt and have no access to fresh. You might want to dry them when ripe so you'll have them year round. Dried isn't *too* expensive (shipping costs as much as a pound where I get them, mmm) but why pay if you have them there? Just make sure you cook them or dry them, don't eat fresh.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4234 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4234 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  03:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, wanted to let you know we got our juicer from Lemans. It was expensive, almost 200, but it is worth it. It works wonderful, and very simple.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  10:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele. I want one really bad. Maybe for Christmas? I'll have to start leaving some hints. It really would come in handy and make things much easier.

Catherine, I am drying some elderberries right now. I might have a cup. But that should be enough when I need them later.

Why not eat them fresh? Did I miss something?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile
"The leaves, twigs, branches, seeds and roots contain a cyanide producing glycoside. Ingesting any of these parts in sufficient quantity can cause a toxic build up of cyanide in the body. In addition, the unripened berry, flowers and "umbels" contain a toxic alkaloid. However, ripe berries (pulp and skin) are safe to eat." This is from Wikipedia. I think maybe not fresh because of the seeds? I've always been told not to eat elderberries straight off the tree, never knew why. Of course, I never have because I'm not even sure I know when they're ripe!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele. I will not eat the berries.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I Found Elderberries. Now What? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page