Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Stockpiling Next Topic  

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  05:20:44 AM  Show Profile
Was wondering how many girls out there are stockpiling supplies. I am trying to start would love pointers on it. Please Help!!!!!!!!

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  05:32:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm starting this too by taking stock of exactly what we normally eat per week. I think in an emergency, it would be best to try to keep our diet as normal as possible to avoid that "deprivation" mentality. So my first step is to figure out what is "normal" for us. It won't make any sense for me to stockpile things that my kids would not normally eat. In an emergency, I know that eventually we may have to eat things we don't normally but think that for morale the most "normal" I can keep it, the better.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  05:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The thing I like to do is have a big bag of rice on hand. We usually buy Basmati Rice from Costco. I also buy some bulk dry beans from Costco. If needed they can be made into lots of things- like refried beans, mixed with rice for a homemade rice and beans, used in soups etc.

The next thing I do is buy those big cans of fruit and divide the fruit into smaller portion sizes. For instance I buy one big jar of peaches and divide them up in Nora's lunch containers for a week.

When stockpiling I try to keep as much of the 5 food groups in balance as possible.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  06:30:14 AM  Show Profile
I don't really 'stockpile', but I do keep a good amount of food on hand.

Things I buy in BULK (Large containers to divide up into smaller ones): Rice, Oats, Dried Beans, Pasta, Popcorn (for machine popping), TVP (textured Vegetable Protein)...etc...

I keep a stock of CANNED GOODS and rotate as I out new ones in: Tomatoes, tomato sauce, baked beans, refried beans, kidney, black, pinto beans, tuna fish, soups, peaches, pineapple, coconut milk....etc...

I FREEZE: Bread, rolls, muffins, all my veggies (except the fresh ones). Bananas- for smoothies and breads, strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chips, coffee, meats/poultry/fish...etc...

A GOOD way to stockpile, is to buy in bulk when it's on SALE and if you have coupons to save even more money, use 'em!

I look for sales on things I'm running low on and stock up then. It's good to make a LIST of things you know you'll use and make sure to use them and rotate them or what's the use...it'll just go bad and waste your money.

=====================

miles of smiles~Peg
My Blogs:
http://unforgettable-peggraham.blogspot.com/
http://knitapalooza.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Peg Graham on Aug 18 2010 06:33:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  07:29:19 AM  Show Profile
Susie,

Check out this thread. Lots of good ideas in there that go beyond just food.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44155

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Stockpiling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page