Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 WOW!! Look at the new pretty MJ site!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic WOW!! Look at the new pretty MJ site!! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  06:28:42 AM  Show Profile
I too thought something was wrong with my computer yesterday :)

I like the colors but would prefer the hues to be more subtle. It's pretty bright to me.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  06:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Agreed, the colors are way too harsh. They hurt my eyes. I liked the soft colors of before.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  06:41:42 AM  Show Profile
I love the new color choices! I think the thing that makes my eyes hurt is trying to read the thread topics in red with the big bright red topic headers over each category. It's a bit much red for my eyes to focus in on one place, I think. My eyes focus just fine inside a thread because the type color is not bright, but outside in the main forum area it is a bit hard to read. But, like I said, I think the colors are great and fun!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  06:42:03 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of colors though. It could be changed seasonally and that would be really cute!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Love it bright and cheery. Pops!!

I collect Fiestaware, so I love it.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:51:19 AM  Show Profile
I am not so sure I like it either. It is a bit tooooo bright! I liked the old one also!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  07:58:19 AM  Show Profile
I like the muted colors a bit better.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  08:02:08 AM  Show Profile
Way to bright for me, looks kind of unfriendly. Glad it's not just me that thinks so
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like the colors a with the blue as the dominant color!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Aug 17 2010 10:17:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:30:59 AM  Show Profile
I think it is to hard on the eyes also. maybe if the background was not so bright it would be better.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gabe
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Gabe
Moscow Idaho
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile
Teal/Red is the new color scheme we're trying to implement across much of our website. We're aiming to make it much happier and more colorful.

For here, I switched around the shades of teal, and switched out the red in the headers. There's still plenty of red in the links still to create the idea of the teal/red schema.

Hopefully it's less bright and more readable now. Gotta try things on for a little bit sometimes to see if they work. I'm sure there'll be some more tweaking as we hear from farmgirls and keep working with it our own selves.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:33:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm like a lot of you, thought I had done something with the colors on my computer! Could have sworn I was on the site yesterday but sure don't remember it looking like this! I kind of like it. Bright and cheery just like the Queen Bee herself!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:53:58 AM  Show Profile
Like this color change even less, tends to look blury to me, still like the original best, more country, less city...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  11:23:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm going out on a limb here, but I really like the new red/teal color scheme, and I liked the red headers - but I DO like the muted teal better. It's so fun to have it so cheery - I really DO like it!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  11:29:08 AM  Show Profile
I don't mind the color change it's still so bright that it's hard on my eyes and difficult to read.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  11:51:08 AM  Show Profile
I think the important thing to remember here is that this site is meant for all farmgirls and that "farmgirl" here is a condition of the heart. That means that we have farmgirls of all different ages, backgrounds and lifestyles. Not everyone here is a cowgirl or a country girl living out in a rural area. I don't necessarily think that the website needs to look "country" to convey MaryJane's vision for us. Some of us ARE city farmgirls and the color scheme might be more appealing. Some of us ARE country girls and might not be used to such brightness. No matter, it needs to be a place where we can all connect and share with one another the things that make each of us a farmgirl and not worry about who likes country and who likes modern or whatever. If it hurts your eyes, that's one thing and I'm sure, like Gabe said, they will tweak things until they find something that is readable for everyone and everyone will adjust. To be honest, when I first joined on here I remember thinking, "Gah...the website looks kinda dull." Does that mean I am less of a farmgirl? No...just means I have a creative guy for a husband and am looking at graphic arts day in and day out LOL! My eye just looks for something different than some. But I'm still a farmgirl and I totally got so used to the old site colors/design that I didn't care. And whatever changes are made, we will all do the same, I am sure :)
For what it's worth, I do like that the header and topics are a different color now. I think that it's much easier on the eye to process less red.
And Gabe, I don't know if it's even an option for us here with whatever kind of limitations you guys have in designing this website, but I'm just going to throw this out there as something I've experienced before that worked well on another forum that I used to be part of. They rolled out a new look. People freaked. Some people loved the change and newness. Some people don't like change at all and it confused them and made them want to quit, so the admins created a button on the front of the forum page where people could choose to flip from the new (and default) forum style to the old style. It instantly made everyone happy. Like I said, I don't know if that's even possible for you guys and if it's not just ignore me...LOL...but I thought I'd just mention that for the sake of the people who have a harder time learning and getting accustomed to new things.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  12:06:53 PM  Show Profile
LOOLIELOOK, the red is gone. NOW I really love this teal color YAY thanks all who'are working on this :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  12:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey! this looks SO pretty! on my computer it looks perwinkle blue in the background and I love the touches of red. I think it looks so freindly and made me smile when I saw it. Thanks for the upgrade :)

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  12:55:46 PM  Show Profile
No is my vote. I'd much rather the old colors.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  1:15:05 PM  Show Profile
I liked the red touches, but this is pretty too! I would like to make a request: not long ago, for a day or so, we had a little arrow you could click to go to the last post in a thread. I liked that because some of the topics are pages and pages long, plus it just was a fast way to get to the latest post on a thread you were following. I'd love to have that feature return!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

Calicobear
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lori
Mansfield Ohio
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  1:53:15 PM  Show Profile
I was onsite this morning....all was as before. Popped in later, and I too, thought my computer was zonked! lol

But once I figured all was just shiney new....was kinda cool....and summery. I liked the red dominant too....and as I just got back on here, it's teal. Is still very fun & bright.....like a big smile...... Haven't been a Sister long enough here, to have a "better/worse" opinion tho.....just tickled to be here! :)

Lori :)
Farmgirl sister #1793

Hugs & Smiles!!
Go to Top of Page

Gabe
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Gabe
Moscow Idaho
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  1:55:32 PM  Show Profile
clothedinscarlet:

That color/style switch would be awesome. I've seen the kind of thing you mean. Most anything is definitely possible; however I don't think it's truly feasible with this chatroom code, since it is aging and isn't properly CSS-based (CSS being what would enable the kind of thing you're talking about a lot more easily).
As it is right now, the chatroom loads a bunch of variables with the color style info, not per user session, but per startup of the whole chatroom application itself on our server; and then every single tag and element on every page reference those color variables individually. So I'd have to devise a way to switch what those variables hold on the fly, per user. From what little I know, I don't think that would be very easy.

Excellent idea, though.

Caron:

I think I remember when I experimented with the arrow feature that you mention. Sounds familiar, anyway.

I don't think we'll turn that back on, but you should be able to easily jump to the last page of any topic by using the dropdown box in the colored row at the top and bottom of each topic page - where it lists which page you're on out of how many pages.

You do have to scroll down a little, when there's tens or hundreds of pages, so it's a little more time, but it's a workable all-purpose stand-in.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  2:07:01 PM  Show Profile
Ok, this is MUCH better now. Thank you so much for toning the background down. And for not so much red. I am happy now. I was thinking I might get a headache but it's good now. Thanks for the softer color. I can live with this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  2:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Who cares what color it is...as long as it's HERE!

I like the brighter look. Makes it easier for me to read!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:50:43 PM  Show Profile
I understand wanting to update the look, but this still bothers my eyes. I get that change is hard on people and sometimes things need to be left a while for folks to adjust, but I don't think this is just a change issue. It really is a "I can barely look at the screen" issue, even with the teal in the headers. I have the same hard time with florecsent lights and this is what it reminds me of, both the teal and the red. This hurts.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic WOW!! Look at the new pretty MJ site!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page