Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  12:31:48 PM  Show Profile
The last two years I've canned on our glass top stove and haven't had any problems, but now I'm getting nervous, I heard you're not supposed to! I've never been able to find a flat bottom boiling water canner, my pressure canner is flat, but all the boiling water canners are a bit concave on the bottom. Has anyone actually broken their stove while canning?

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  1:53:46 PM  Show Profile
I can on a glass top stove and don't have any problems. I don't like electric stoves, but it came with the house. I think the wieght issue is more of a scare tactic than anything. I make large pots of chili on the stove and the people who answer the phones for the manufacturing company will tell you that's fine to do. I don't think water wieghs more than chili!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:00:47 PM  Show Profile
I have canned on one years ago. No problems but I was always nervous too. I have had an electric stove the past 8 years (since we moved to Utah) and have destroyed the large burner on it a couple times with my heavy canning pots. I need to get some sort of trivetish deally to put over the coil thing to hold the weight up some. Or something. Not gonna stop me from canning until I get one..but it would be smart if I did.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I had to buy a special canning coil for my stove. The stove was brand new when I first started to can so I read the owners manual and found out they made a special burner just for canning. You might want to try your stove manufacturer to see if they have a heavy duty canning burner for your stove.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  7:21:29 PM  Show Profile
My dad bought the gas burner cover and put it over his electric burner. It heats the kitchen up big time, but it works.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  9:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks..I will check that out!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile
When I looked for a pressure canner last year there were some that said they were specifically not to be used on a glass top stove, which we have, but there are others that are just fine. The canner's down in the cellar, but when I go down later I'll try to remember to look at it and see what kind it is. It's just a year old so the same kind must still be around.

Smiling & Waving
Sharon
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning on a glass top stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page