Author Outpost: Previous Topic Mary Janes outhouse question? Next Topic  

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  6:59:51 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering if anyone knew if the outhouse pictured in the videos of the wall tents was a real hole in the ground one or if it was plumbed with water. My grandmother had a real one and I honestly tried to avoid it as a kid.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  8:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Real hole in the ground I have even used it..
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Well.... that answers my question. Thanks Diana. My grandmothers was as old as Methuselah. I have been thinking about putting one or two around here, but the smell and the flies might be a problem. It sure would be a simple solution for the campground area way back in the pasture.

Sharlet

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  9:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sharlet- I have used MaryJane's outhouses and they don't stink! If you manage an outhouse properly you don't get much "outhouse" smell.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  9:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Ok, my next question is...... how do I properly manage or maintain one? I really am interested in building one. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear. My husband says he remembers spraying them down in boyscout camp with poisons to kill the spiders and bugs. I sure don't want to use anything like that.

Thanks for the info Alee!

Sharlet

Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think you have to manage them like a composting toilet. So you have to put peat moss in it or some other equally absorbant material in it. Also you can "seed" it with worms for faster decomp but if you do that you need to make sure it is ph neutral.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  06:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Let me see we would make a outhouse bomb in Girl Scouts No flys no stink I will have to do some research but it was very simple things. The bugs and spiders well that is another story.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2887 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2887 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile
I know many outhouses keep a bucket of lime inside & a scoop in thrown on the chute now & again.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile
I did a little research online last night and did see the lime bucket suggestion or wood ashes instead of the lime. I also read to throw a septic tank tablet down there once a week. Maybe Mary Jane will put an article in one of her magazines "all about outhouses".

An outhouse bomb! That would really entertain my grandkids.

Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:55:44 AM  Show Profile
I recently went to a horse hotel in central Texas. They only had outhouses. They were lovely. They did not smell at all. To absorb they kept a galvanized pail with horse (shavings/bedding) and a scoop. There was a shelf with a pitcher and bowl to wash hands and two resident walking sticks. It was so sweet. They did have electric and they were lighted with soft white Christmas lights for nocturnal visitors.

The lady is my friend on the porch of the outhouse.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  08:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beth. Well I am impressed with the outhouse pictures. I'm going to show them to my hubby. I never thought about the shavings. That's a good idea.

Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There is also something called "stall fresh" that you can use in barns and I think it is just activated lime but I am not sure- but they use it to absorb the ammonia smell. but if you keep it pretty "dry" down there you won't get the stink as much.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:35:39 AM  Show Profile
We lived without indoor plumbing for about 4 years while we were building our house many moons ago. We used wood ashes and it never smelled. In the summer when ashes were in short supply, we used lime. We still have it for when the power is out and we don't have water.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I love these ideas!

We always did the lime and never had a problem! Ever! We also had real windows (glass) on ours so that helped with airation. My mom put the crank style windows on each side, the kind that is in trailers from around the 1970s/80s. That are slats of glass and crank open and shut. It had real screen too. When in use (while we were actively visiting our cabin) the windows remained open, the screen kept out most bugs. The few bugs that did get in weren't bad for the most part so we really didn't bother them, they were mostly the kind that would be in your tent or otherwise while camping-granddaddy long legs, crickets, stick bugs, etc. So we were never too worried about them.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Well just traveling thru Canada and Alaska one finds outhouse at all rest stops some smell some don't they all were vented even with screens. They, because of the use they get, more then not get pumped out at times. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:25:22 AM  Show Profile
What states still allow outhouses on private property?

Visit my blog sites:

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile
We put an outhouse on our property when we first bought it because we were coming up here and didn't build the house for quite a few years. My husband built the outhouse and we dug the hole. He did all the research and we had a bucket in it with straw and anyone could add straw to the hole after visiting. It never did stink. We don't use it much anymore since the house was built but it's still there and we still keep it up.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Mary Janes outhouse question? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page