katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  11:12:17 AM  Show Profile
I love this statement made by David Ogden-Stiers to Michael J.Fox in the movie "Doc Hollywood"...
"Get off the interstate Ben Sloan"

Words to live by...I luv getting off the main road/path/interstate to wander the back roads & alleys, the less traveled roads to see what I will find...
I also find great photo opportunities on these back roads and rural communities.
I recently had the opportunity to do just that and posted some pics on both of my blogs...so when you have a free moment, grab a mug of java or tea and take a peek into my blogs.
Happy Trails to you....and ... Get off the Interstate....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile
I too like to get off the interstate and take the backroads. A number of years ago, I took a trip across southern Illinois and got to see things you'd never see from the interstate--Illinois Amish country with the road signs showing a horse and buggy...tobacco leaves hanging up to dry in the sheds...rolling hills showing the glory of autumn splendor...I passed vineyards and small towns and even a town which was celebrating its annual "vulture fest". I stopped to eat at a restaurant and, when asked what I wanted to drink, said, "oh, a Pepsi or a Coke" to which the waitress replied, "We don't have them. Is RC all right?" Yep, only in a small town.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  8:27:10 PM  Show Profile
The back roads on the back of a Harley on my honeymoon 37 yrs ago, is when we found this place, which became our home/ranch/farm. So yes, I do love back roads...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  11:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,
I Love it! "RC" I didn't even know Royal Crown soda was still around....least ways not up here....

Oh Teresa,
I so miss our bikes, hubby had a Suzuki LC150 & I had a Marauder 800 which I traded in for a more fun bike, a Yamahahaha(haha)V-Star 650....we had a blast riding all around Ventura County & Santa Barbara,,,,but sold our bikes before moving up to Washington. : >(

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  11:21:49 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I should add that my Hubby and I met on a back road also, and less than 9 months later, we were married...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  12:11:20 PM  Show Profile
I like to take that statement to the next level. I like to think of the 'interstate' as mainstream living and the 'back road' as a simpler life. I am workin very hard to 'get off the interstate' with our food and lifestyle. We try to make as much of what we eat from scratch and stay as far away from processed foods and chemical cleaning supplies as possible. We are gardening and are workin on fencing the pasture in so we can raise our own beef and milk cows. We already have a flock of 37 chickens, about 2/3 of which are roosters, so the freezer will be full of fryers this winter!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  9:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Angela,
that's what I love about "getting off the interstate"....

I was chatting with a dear friend(former co-worker) who moved back to Sepula, OK...and she loves being off the Rat Race Tread Mill...she tries to take drives & 'get lost' on side roads and into little communities. She loves finding little mom-n-pop type eateries,,,,and sweet gardens for photographing.
Yep, "Get off the Interstate Ben Sloan"....

Teresa, see, what a great find you made on the "back roads" : >)

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Words to Live By... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page