delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend that is wanting to make soap and they have several goats and would like to use their milk to make it. Can anyone please share a recipe????
delicia

Terri B
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Terri
Lebanon OR
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  7:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi there!

I have a super-easy recipe that I use a lot.

Soap

4 oz lukewarm tap water 2 Tbsp Lye
4 oz cocoanut oil 4 oz lard

Tools
Glass or ceramic mixing bowl Wooden spoon (stainless steel will work in a pinch)
Wand hand mixer Pyrex measuring cup
Molds (I use a piece of gutter downspout and seal one end with waxed paper.)
Mineral oil

Directions
Measure the water into the measuring cup. Carefully add lye. Stir slowly until dissolved. A chemical reaction will start and the water will heat up.

Heat the lard and cocoanut oil in the glass bowl in the microwave until melted. Do not boil.

Slowly cool the lye mixture and fat until about body temperature. Do not put your fingers in the bowl or measuring cup. Feel the outside. It takes about 1-2 hours to cool.

Slowly add the lye to the fat and stir. Mix well with the spoon, and continue to stir with the wand mixer until it reaches the consistency of sour cream.

Add any colors, perfumes or essential oils. Mix well.

Prepare the molds. Pour a small bit of mineral oil on a paper towel and rub it in the mold (like greasing a cake pan), so the soap will come out easily.

Pour into molds, and cover with a towel or paper towels. Let sit 24 hours and uncover.

Unmold on the third day and let sit for 3 weeks to cure before using.

If you use a piece of downspout - or other mold that makes the soap all in one piece - cut the soap into bars immediately after it finishes curing.

I hope this works for you!
Terri :)

Anybody who ever said money can't buy happiness never bought a puppy.
- Snoopy
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile
My sister makes this all the time, and she taught me how. It's quite easy!

6 ounces milk frozen to a slush. I freeze it in a quart jar so I can make my soap directly in the jar afterwards.

2 ounces lye, stirred SLOWLY into the slushy milk with a wooden spoon. SLOWLY means it should take you at least 10 to 15 minutes to stir in that tiny amount. Pour in a few grains, stir, pour in a few more, etc. Setting your jar of frozen milk down into a bowl of ice water is a big help too.

As soon as all the lye is dissolved into the milk, it should not be any darker than pale yellow. Sometimes it will be a darker yellow, and then lighten up. I would not pour it out though unless it was a brown or dark orange color. Really, it's just for looks, it will still be good soap.

Melt one lb. of lard in a pot on the stove. Just BARELY melt it. It's ok if it still has a few unmelted bits in it. You don't want to get it hot because that will heat up your milk/lye mixture too much and make your soap turn out too dark.

When it's melted, pour in the lye/milk and use your immersion blender (or whatever those things are called) to mix it until it thickens to "trace". Look online to find a definition of trace. You'll find pictures you need to see.

Add 1 to 2 ounces of essential oils, and pour into molds!

Kyria
www.crossyr.blogspot.com

Sell Books Online at Cash4Books.net
http://www.cash4books.net/index.php?ref=122916
Go to Top of Page

Sunshine_Sue
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Lunenburg NS
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Delicia!
I was wondering if your friend tried her hand at making goat milk soap yet?

I used to sell hand made soaps at the farmer's markets, and may be able to lend her a hand. My "Goatmilk, Oats and Honey" bar was very popular, if I say so myself. :-) It also happened to be the only one of my formulas I could depend on turning out perfectly every time.

It's a 4 pound batch and makes 25 bars each weighing roughly 3oz.

If you would like to have the recipe just let me know. And if 25 bars happens to be too many I can recalculate a new formula for your friend. Just let me know how many pounds of soap she wants to make at a time, OK?

Sue

Blog www.shortfatmormonchick.blogspot.com

Home Business Blog www.shouthshoresewingstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaCal
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Linda
Alexandria Tennessee
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  03:11:27 AM  Show Profile
Yes Sue, that would be great if you could share the recipe... I was going to get goats milk from Walmart. I know the stuff in the can is concentrated, but they also sell it in a carton where the regular milk is, too. Also, what kind of mold do you use?
Thanks! This is so cool!
Linda C
From Middle Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

Sunshine_Sue
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Lunenburg NS
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  07:21:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda!
It's nice to see another someone who is interested in soapmaking. I haven't made a batch in a few years, but I'm happy to share anything I can that would be helpful to you.

My moulds are kind of old fashioned. They make a flat slab that is cut into 25 bars ... kind of like squares in a jellyroll pan. My husband made the moulds out of wood with a sheet of stainless steel covering the bottom and one removable side so the slab can be slid out in one piece. This is a good mould choice for milk soaps because the large surface area keeps the mixture cooler than, say, a block mould would. Milk soap heats up a LOT all on it's own, and can scortch if the temp goes too high. Still usable, but ugly lookin'

My formula binder is hiding at the moment, but as soon as I find it I will post the goatmilk soap recipe for you. So, hang tight! I'll be back soon.

Sue

My On-line Journal www.shortfatmormonchick.blogspot.com
Home Business www.southshoresewingstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaCal
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Linda
Alexandria Tennessee
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  10:52:06 AM  Show Profile
I guess I just need to get a soap making book. I have one... But the one I posted is and e-book and I'd rather have a hard copy to look at... Make it easier when doing a batch. The mold you have, sounds great. I wonder what I could use. I'll have to look around and use my imagination. Anyway, thanks in advance for that recipe for the goats milk soap. :)
Linda C
From Tennessee
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic recipes for soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page