Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need "Thyroid" Gift Ideas for Sick Sister
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need "Thyroid" Gift Ideas for Sick Sister Next Topic  

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  4:56:21 PM  Show Profile
As some of you know from my prayers request posting, my sister is recovering from her thyroid cancer surgery & will be going in for radiation. She'll have to be in isolation for 7 days & I wanted to mail her some gifts and notes to hopefully make that time not so lonely & scary for her. Some of the ideas I had were a favorite album and a journal. What other ideas would be nice? What would be appropriate to send someone dealing with cancer? I thought I would try to find a good low iodine recipe book or recipes I could send her too? I want to support her and let her know that I'm there for her. I plan on emailing her and sending her a note everyday (she lives in CA & I live in OR). She can't really talk on the phone due to her damaged vocal chords. I also am having her sign up for gmail so we can correspond via chat. Thanks for any ideas or thoughts

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  5:25:58 PM  Show Profile
I would put together a list of comforting bible verses. Write them out on little bits of paper and put them in a pretty box or something like it. When she feels down she can pull one out and read it. A little box of hope!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  6:55:31 PM  Show Profile
When my sister in law was dealing with cancer, She loved lotions for her skin. Her skin was so dry from the radiation and chemo. Also she loved candles that had a nice smell to help her not think about hospitals, etc. HOpe this helps.

Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  7:01:19 PM  Show Profile
How about a special book for sisters. It would be something she could keep and go back to when ever she wanted.

Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

RIgardengirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Monique
Woonsocket RI
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  7:10:32 PM  Show Profile
I had thyroid cancer about 3 years ago...not a pleasant experience. My wonderful husband set me up in our travel trailer with A/C, a TV, DVD player and a weeks worth of movies. I read and did some knitting. A comfy pillow and comforter topped it all off. You can download the low iodine cookbook direct from www.thyca.org. The link is on the left under Support Services and it is in PDF format. If you can help her put together some meals ahead of time, that would be helpful too. My favorite is the burger packets: a patty, an big slice of onion, and a big slice of potatoe wrapped in foil and cooked up in the over. I think I made about 10 of these to survive the low iodine time. Brown rice and chicken with herbs is great too. Drink plenty of water to get rid of the rai. Tell her I said Good luck. If she needs some support during the process, I would be glad to communicate with her.

RIGardengirl

The way of cultivation is not easy.
He who plants a garden plants happiness.
- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  8:00:50 PM  Show Profile
These are wonderful ideas, Ladies!! Thank you!! Monique, I will email you. When I was doing a search tonite, I saw that great site you mentioned & was so excited, I emailed my sis with the link to the PDF cookbook. Wish I lived closer to be able to bring her meals. These ideas are great. I so appreciate them!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need "Thyroid" Gift Ideas for Sick Sister Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page