Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just frustrated Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  3:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Can I just vent for a moment ? I know there are some others who are in similar straights and those who have pulled themselves back up after a financial disaster, I just am sooo tired of worrying about money and bills and feeling like a failure. I start my supplemental coaching job with the school band again and will get a check in September but have no idea how I'm going to make it thru August. I have not been able to find any other work, I just got turned down for a minimum wage food service job ! I have decided it's time to really try to make some money from home as soon as I figure out what to do. I don't know what I'm asking, just frustrated I guess. Life wasn't supposed to be like this at my age.

our greatest glory is not in never falling but in getting up every time we do (confucious)

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Oh Patricia, do I ever feel you. I'm sorry you are feeling that way but I understand. Vent away sweetie! I'll listen.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear that, I understand your worries. Vent away.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Chassen
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Chassen
Columbus OH
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  3:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Patricia! I'm SO sorry! I knew how much you were depending on that!
Vent away as much as you like, dear friend!

City-bound for now! Looking for my little piece of heaven...

http://gnomefalls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  4:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, I know that it seems so hopeless sometimes. I am so sorry for your worries. We have come back twice from financial ruin so I know how stressfull it can be. We are here for you.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  4:22:02 PM  Show Profile
I know how you feel. We are in the same boat again. I really don't know how many times we have been there in 32 years. It's not fun. But we always seem to get through it. I know you will too. I hope you are able to find something you can do at home.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  4:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Pat,
Been there . . done that . . more than once! It IS FRUSTRATING and DISCOURAGING!!!!! I'm TIRED of working more than one job and I'm getting too old for all this craziness. BUT, I do have a job and I'm grateful that I do, especially when sooooooo many people don't. I try to thank the Lord "without ceasing" that He is providing for us.
I will pray for you!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  5:07:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry you are having a tough time. My brother is in construction and has barely worked the last two years. He sold a lot of his stuff on E-bay and that has kept him going so far.

I pray everyone will make it through this very difficult time. Best of luck to you.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  5:09:45 PM  Show Profile
You just vent away, Patricia! So many of us can understand completely because we're either there or have been there. Clear your head and relax, then lots of prayers and faith that you will find the right path. It's SSSOOO frustrating, but know that you'll find a way. I'm sorry you're going through this.

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  7:46:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about Ohio, but in Indiana, we are split up in townships for the school systems. Within those townships are a voted in township trustee. That trustee's job is to handle the money given to it by the state. They help fire depts, schools, and taxpayers who are in dire straights. We have had to go to them a few times in the 13 we've been married for help. They can usually also send you to the people who have set up ways to help people with specific problems. I know we have a CAP office who helps with utilities once a year for all low income families. I know it's hard on a persons pride to ask for help, but I have had to do it for my family and that overrides my pride everytime. I have even had to go to food banks for assistance while my Hubby was without work. I figure our tax money is what these places are usin, so I deserve to get a little of it back when I'm the one in need.

Know that there are others who have been there and understand. Vent all you need to. We are here and we care.

I know you're already workin, but have you thought about doin a 'dinner pick up' company. You prepare a cassarole in a disposable pan and then people who have pre-ordered them, pick them up on their way home from work and just pop them in the oven for dinner. I have seen people who even do a weeks worth at a time, and the people freeze them and pull one out each mornin to thaw and cook that night. There's a lady in the town close to us that does that and has a regular meetin time for pick-ups in a local parkin lot!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  8:14:13 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya!

I will be 53 on the 16th and this is the longest in my life that I have been without a full time job. I was downsized over 2-years ago and I don't see any job in the future especially now that I am in my 50's-

I have given up on job hunting. Who wants to hire a 53-year old woman? No one around here...

I refuse to get depressed about my latest jaunt to the ER via Ambulance. Those bills have capped out at over $8,000.00 and all that dental work I had done just a few months ago is close to $6,000.00-

Keep trying though!

It's bound to get better out there pretty soon-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  06:06:37 AM  Show Profile
i hear you all-it seems like everytime we make cuts and seem to be doing ok they take more things away from hubby at work-at least we are all in the same boat together and we are in good company

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

katrina
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Katrina
The Dalles Oregon
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  06:19:04 AM  Show Profile
and another one who's been there. I hate deciding which bills won't get paid that month. But as others said, we made it through just fine, and a bit tougher. You'll get through this, and we're here to listen.

www.WorkOfArtCreations.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  08:21:27 AM  Show Profile
This won't make you millions, but I work for a company called Speak Write. It is a transcription service, you don't have to have any specialized training, just need to be able to type fast and accurately. You have to buy a $85.00 foot pedal and have at least Word 2003 and high speed internet. I've done it for about three years and I average about $10.00 to $12.00 an hour. I work after the kids go to bed. You schedule hours to be available and they send you audio over the internet. There are a lot of Child Protective Services reports and those are rough to type, but other than that it is pretty basic. You are paid every two weeks and I have my check direct deposited and it works pretty good. It certainly helps financially. They are hiring right now, but if anyone is interested I would jump on it becuase they only open up hiring two or three times a year. The link is:

http://www.speak-write.com/TypistNav/Employment/index.cfm

If you have any questions about how it works, just ask me.

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PinkPorches

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  08:23:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh, sorry I just checked and they have closed the general typist hiring. You should still fill out an application if you are interested. That's what I did and they sent me an email a few months later to do the testing.

Good luck.

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PinkPorches

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone. I just get so down some days. I am 52 yrs old, it wasn't supposed to be like this. I was better off when I was in my 20's
I am checking into work at home options even some house cleaning or pet sitting or sewing. I know we will make it , we always manage, I just could use a little less stress if ya know what I mean Thank God for my hubby and kids, if it weren't for them I would throw in the towel.
Thak yo for your support and advice. It means a lot to me :)

our greatest glory is not in never falling but in getting up every time we do (confucious)
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  2:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Been there done that too! I am out of a job since December. I am 62 and have been a nurse for 42 years. There is a real problem with age discrimination in this country. There isn't supposed to be but there is. Everything is done online and you can't get an interview once they see when you graduated, which is required. I lost all my benefits and I just am glad I am mostly a healthy person. I'm disgusted with nursing in general so maybe it's a good thing. The poor patients Do Not Get What they pay for. God Bless the new nurses because I know how hard you work and it won't get better. As a nurse the least we and all healthcare workers deserve is health insurance! Try going to a nursing agency and sometimes you can get a job through them to do general care for people without having to have a license.

Good Luck and know that you are not alone. Prayers work miracles so here are mine.

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it!
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  4:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, (((hugs))) I'm sorry. This economic downturn and so many able, willing-to-work people out of work, so frustrating. I hope you find something soon.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  6:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, I have been in your situation before. I am 53 and I worry about things to much too. I think it is just our generation. But I can tell you this. When I was where you are now i just gave it to God...And I really mean this..You pray and let God know you are giving it to him because you have no way of dealing with it alone. And this will help. When I did this I was in the hospital and I felt a burden lifted off of me that instant I asked God to take this worry from me and help me with whatever he deemed fit. I belive he did at that moment. And the next day my husband told me we recieved a check in the mail from my employer....I hadnt worked in over a week and I recieved my last paycheck the week I went into the hospital. I called the manager and asked her why I got a checka nd didnt work that week...She said the owner called her and told her to send a check...He also told her that he was told to in a dream that night...I do believe it was God doing this for me....I still worry...but not as much as I use to...You will be in my prayers...
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  7:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Patricia,

I am sending you farmgirl warm thoughts and hugs. It's so hard all over, and it seems to me that it doesn't matter what industry it is, everyone has been affected. We all can only do what we can do, and keep on plugging. Hugs to you, sweetie! Hope good things come your way.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  5:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patricia--Hang in there. Something always turns up. When I found myself in a single mom situation for a year, my kids and I did lawn mowing and yard work. I also took on some cleaning jobs and made good money. I charge $15 hour to clean homes. I've also cleaned churches and public offices. They may not pay as well, but there is usually someone who needs a hand...even if only a time or two. I know it doesn't sound like much, but when you think outside the box you usually come up with something.

Wish you well, sister. And STOP worrying. I know that is hard, but it really doesn't make more $$ appear and it could make your health poor!!

hugs-
Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  5:13:08 PM  Show Profile
thanks Carrie, and I am trying but you know some days it's good and some days it's bad. My stomach is bothering me again so it's time to relax :)

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just frustrated Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page