holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  5:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. It seems I jumped the gun on just how this forum works. I initially stumbled upon the "clothesline forum" while doing a Google search. I found the conversation interesting because it reminded me of growing up in rural Maine and taking in the laundry from our sometines, "frozen" clothesline.

It's been suggested, (and rightly so), that I introduce myself officially at the Welcome Wagon. Please bear with me because I know very little about forums and how they work. Was starting a new topic the right way to begin? Hmmm, I'm not sure how to go about a formal introduction, so I'll just wing it with a short bio. I grew up working on a dairy farm a few hundred yards up the road. It was good honest work for a teenager and I always enjoyed it. Our own family yard always had a handful of chickens, ducks, pigs, cows and Billy goat....oh and one very ornery horse. It wasn't considered an official farm, but we always seemed to have plenty of critters hanging around. I moved back to Maine after retiring from the US Navy and currently own a small business handed down from my father in which I build heavy-duty clotheslines. The business originated with my grandfather and father who invented a unique contraption called a "snow plow resistant mailbox arm." It's a wordy title but it was basically designed so that a snow plow can hit the mailbox with flying snow, make it swing out of the way and then return automatically to receive mail. It's a neat idea and they work extremely well! They also made bird feeder posts, flower pot holders and as mentioned earlier, clotheslines.

To make a long story short, my grandfather passed away a few years back and more recently, my father decided he is too old to continue the business. We decided that my brother would take over the mailbox part and I would do the clotheslines. So we have a couple of small businesses which, to be honest, are little more then hobbies. But we really enjoy building our products and selling them to satisfied customers. After "hemming and hawing" for a few months, I finally decided to add a bunch of other products to the site so that customers can pick from a larger variety. I had to concede the fact that not everyone has a nice big back yard to install a large clothesline. Most of the clotheslines on our site are built by other companies, but we still build the large heavy-duty ones and always will.
I seem to be getting long winded....sorry about that. Anyhow, my "signficant other, Diana" who by the way is the brains behind this operation, and I really enjoy our, "hobby," especially now that we figured out how to put them on the internet. She is looking over my shoulder reading these remarks as I write them. Rest assured that I'm going to encourage her to join your forums. She has already taken a quick peek at a couple of your conversations. You have tweaked her interest to say the least. At this point getting her to join certainly won't be a hard sell. With all the nonsense going on out here in cyber-space nowadays, it's refeshing to come across a site like yours.

Thank you all for making us feel welcome in your forum. We look forward to reading your comments and stories.

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  6:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Paul!
And Diana too!
Clotheslines are one of the favorite topics here.
You'll fit right in.
Please add your website to your signature line, so we can check it out!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  04:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Paul and Diana- Yes! Please post your website so we can all take a peek!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Paul (and Diana)! It's so great to have you here - it DOES sound like you're "one of us" so to speak. Aren't clotheslines great - my little son Loves, loves, LOVES to run in and out of my clean sheets (argghh.....) when they're on the line. I just have to think that I sure hope he remembers the fun of living at home on a farm..... Welcome!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I think it's funny that your son likes to run between your sheets Libby. That comment sparked another memory of us doing that same thing when we were kids....so long as our mother didn't find out. We used to see who could run between them without actually letting one touch us in the breeze. It had to be timed just right or you were, "out." Of course being out simply meant that you had to wait until the game started again. Heck, who needed toys?

Regarding our web site, I'm not sure it would be appropriate to post it on here. If this were my forum, I'm not so sure I'd want businesses jumping in and posting ads. I've seen such things happen to a few of those chat programs the kids use nowadays like AOL. It seems people are just pushing unwanted ads in their faces all the time. I'd prefer to get permission to post a commercial site on here first. I wouldn't mind placing a link to your Clothesline forum from our site though. It would be interesting to see if people would come and see all that you folks have to offer. Is there someone in particular I could email to find out about that?
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Paul and Diana! Isn't this site great? I just found it myself a few days ago. I was already wanting to get a clothesline and now, listening to you all discuss it, I badly want one! I remember my Mom hanging clothes out. Recently I got a big antique bowl full of old clothespins. I sure hope you can post a link to your clothesline site. I'd really like a nice heavy duty one.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  2:50:53 PM  Show Profile
The help section says to contact the moderator for forum I have a question about? How do I know who that is? Is there a link I need to click on somewhere?

Our site is http://www.clotheslineshop.com Diana and I made the site ourselves although we know very little about web design. Our goal is to find every single type of clothesline out there and put it on this site. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

When we all learn to get along, only then will peace on earth truly be possible.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  3:06:36 PM  Show Profile
WElcome!! I loved seeing your website! I am a big fan of clotheslines and ALWAYS have one. I was so lucky when we bought this house that there was an already in place very very heavy duty one..the T-shaped post type made of metal pipe...the heavy type I love it...5 lines that are really really long. It holds about 5 or 6 loads of clothes to dry. It has been hot here the past wweek and 1/2 and I have sure got use of it. I hate winter when I don't use it as much. THings don't smell as nice.
I remember running through my grandma's sheets on her line and having my older kids do that with mine. The youngest ones I have at home now are 9 years old and don't do it as much anymore..thankfully!! The boys can really muck up clean sheets with their dirty summer hands!!
Anyway..just wanted to welcome you guys to the group!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  3:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul. This is Carol here at the farm. It's fine with us that you posted a link to your site - I'm sure lots of our farmgirls will be interested in looking at it.

And welcome -- it's nice to have another farmboy on the forum!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  3:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Welcome paul and diana. I love clotheslines...have one myself...i especially loved the washboards..they are great. I am sure i will be purchasing one in the near future.

Take Care,
doreen

Please take a look at my folk art. http://www.crowsoup.com/Market1137.php

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the compliment about our site Jenny. Be honest here...little hand smudges on your sheets give them character...lol.

Thank you Carol for permission to post it...even though I jumped the gun.

And thank you Doreen for the positive comments about our washboards. The company that makes these in Ohio has already sent thousands of them overseas to the troops free of charge. That impressed us enough to ask permission to sell their products.
You appear to have quite a knack for folk art! I hope sales are keeping you busy enough to enjoy doing it.

When we all learn to get along, only then will peace on earth truly be possible.
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  3:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Paul and Diana,

Ah-h-h-h clotheslines. Such a simple thing, but oh so necessary. We haven't lived anywhere that we haven't had one. It's usually the first thing that goes up. Matter of fact, where we presently live didn't have one and my daughter knew how much I love using them, so one day while I was at work she strung one up all around the inside edge of the awning on the back porch and then over to the wooden fence at the end of our house. It sure looked like Jed Clampit had moved in, considering we live in a suburbian neighborhood, but I was happy to come home and see towels waving in the breeze. It wasn't long before my husband put up the posts so I could have a real one. He's the one that likes to hang out clothes just as much as I do, so I don't know what I would do without one. Probably use the dryer, but it's just not the same.

I also remember playing in the sheets while they were on the line, but we made tents out of them and "camped" outside in the summer. Of course, this was with mom's permission and not so good sheets. I can't wait to be able to do that with our grandkids, they are only two, but they learn oh so fast.

Anyway, welcome to the site, you are definitely in good company and will find lots of support for your business here. You both sound like very wonderful, good-hearted people. The world needs a whole bunch more like you. I'm going to take a look at your site now.

Blessings on new growth for your business.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  6:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynda,

Thank you for sharing some of your memories. It sounds like you had a great childhood....and a very understanding mother.

Diana and I really appreciate the positive comments and wishes in your posts. I think it's great that everyone here appears to have a very positive outlook towards life.

Go to Top of Page

prairiemomma
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cherri
McPherson KS
USA
33 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  12:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see prairiemomma's MSN Messenger address
Sleep could not be sweeter than when sleeping on sheets that have been line dried! Clotheslines are soooo fun....tents, playing in between the hung up sheets....what could be better! My favorite places to live have had clotheslines! It's one of the first things I always looked for. So glad to have you all here! Greetings! Cherri

Living simply with hopefulness and joy!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  1:45:01 PM  Show Profile
hi paul and diana .. GREAT web site .. i have a rickety olde wooden one like your sturdy metal one (i imagine it's been here for years and years!) .. but then .. i'm a re-planted city girl .. and mostly use mine to 'decorate' when company is coming. in the springtime .. i hang snow white victorian ladies underoos and petti-slips on it .. in the summer .. i have a line or two of 1940's feedsack aprons dangling from it .. in the autumn .. 'new' homespun flap in the breeze .. i leave them out there for a month or so .. in an attempt to 'age' them with rain, wind and sunshine! winter brings olde RED long-johns in a row.

yes .. my bed linens will sometimes make it out there to dry .. i jus' love crawling between line-dried sheets! towels feel too scratchy to me without a little 'softening' in the dryer though.

my little laundry room is slightly larger than a postage stamp and there is barely room in there for me and my ironing board .. which is o.k. with me .. cuz' i'm a 'lay-back' gal who doesn't mind a few wrinkles in my clothes!

i will surely let my 'starched and pressed' gurlfrenz know about your wonderful site!

welcome! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

holysmokes1
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Paul
S. China ME
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  2:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

I must apologize for not responding sooner. It seems that Memorial day gets people thinking about clotheslines. This is the busiest week-end we've had so far! Lots and lots of questions, orders and such. It's exhausting but fun. I think things are beginning to get back to normal around here now that the week days have started.

Thank you Cherri & Frannie for welcoming us to your corner of the internet. We really enjoy listening to the stories that get posted in here. Be forewarned though, I sometimes feel compelled to ask questions of you experts. They help me learn what people really want regarding clotheslines, pins, hampers...and just about anything laundry related.

The best kind of advice comes from the people who know what they are talking about. You folks certainly fit that category!

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page