Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Mammoth Cave, Boonesboro, Natural Bridge, Horse Pk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Mammoth Cave, Boonesboro, Natural Bridge, Horse Pk Next Topic  

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  2:10:49 PM  Show Profile
We're thinking about crossing the border into KY and taking the kids to Mammoth Cave before they're back in school. You know, taking maybe 5 days or so and hitting a few other places. I think it'll pretty much be State Park stuff. We're looking at the Historic tour of Mammoth Cave since it has a bathroom break and our youngest is famous for having to go when there's nowhere to go. I'd love to do a longer tour but I think we'll wait until they're all older, not that our eldest at 13 is young any more. Anway, we're also looking at going to Boonesboro State Park and Natural Bridge State Park. Oh, and I'd also like to go to the Kentucky Horse Park. I'm looking for folks that have gone to these places and give me your thoughts on them. I figure we'll be in tents and stay at the parks.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  04:27:36 AM  Show Profile
We went last year with our camper. I *think* we stayed at Nolin State Park. (I'd have to check with dh) Not far from the park, we had about a 15 minute drive. BEAUTIFUL! Wish we could have stayed longer. We may go back just for that State Park (even tho it was quite a drive there from Chicago). Book your camping spot now. I know that the park that Mammoth is in books early in the year so it may be full.

My girls did the Jr. Ranger program while waiting for our tour at Mammoth Caves. (They were 11 & 8 at the time) They loved it! Upon completion, when you show the Rangers your completed book - they announce their name over the loudspeaker. They also received a special badge.

Bring a picnic and stay around the visitor center. It's beautiful there. I wonder if they have hiking paths you can do on your own??? Something we'd look into next time we go.

Have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  08:35:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Deb. I remember reading on the website that there are quite a few hiking trails. We looked at sites still available and quite a few actually are in all the parks we're looking at, which was a surprise. I figure it's due to being the end of the summer for most with children though.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Mammoth Cave, Boonesboro, Natural Bridge, Horse Pk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page