prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  06:27:28 AM  Show Profile
I made up my first batch of beets last night.... easy refrigerated pickled beets, no canning required, for my hubby's birthday today! This batch was just from thinning the bed, but we already have lots of greens to eat and tiny beets. I realized, as I was boiling and skinning them, beets are the smell of autumn for me. I think they are the most earthy smelling garden product... I didn't even like beets as a kid, but now, they are the epitome of my hard work in the garden! Problem is, now when I'm harvesting them in the summer, just smelling them makes me ansy for fall! I'm not sure if it's because last year we harvested our entire garden one day in september before the first hard frost... it was probably the hardest working day in my life! On top of harvesting everything, my hubby and I spent hours making and canning strawberry jam and pickled beets. They say smell is one of the strongest links to the past... I wonder if that's why I associate beets with fall? Does anyone else have similar stories?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  03:49:30 AM  Show Profile
What a small world! I put some red beets in my freezer yesterday.(had to have some for lunch as well). Then I checked our golden beets that we(hubby & me) planted a couple weeks later and they are doing good! I thinned them out and had a batch for supper. Beets beets and more beets! They were really sweet! I have not had the greens - I should probably cook them up as well. It seems like everything is ready early this year. I need to pick blueberries yet. Fall smells for me are apples and winter squash.Fall is my favorite time of the year but it seems like it only lasts a week.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  03:55:51 AM  Show Profile
I put up some beets a few weeks ago. I know what you mean by that earthy smell. This year I planted some that were red striped, they were the sweetest beets ever.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  04:06:57 AM  Show Profile
I have bullseye beets planted at our garden at the cabin. they are red/white - sounds like a similar variety to the red striped. I better go there and see if they are ready.(any excuse to go to the cabin). I try to plant something different every year, this year we experimented with golden and bullseye beets.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  04:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I canned my beets yesterday and you are right, they smell like the earth (dirt)!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Brenday, have you had luck putting your beets in the freezer? I tried that the first year with the few that actually came up, but didn't really know how to use them after I froze them... so we started pickling and canning them. How does freezing them change their texture?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  08:31:56 AM  Show Profile

Elizabeth, I have put beets in the freezer the last 2 years. I cook them with the stem and tap root until tender, then peel them and of course cut off the stem and tap root. last year I sliced them and put them in freezer bags. They were a quick and easy side dish - just heat them up on the stove or microwave. This year I decided to cut them in chunks. I still have a couple packages from last year, they are still fine. The texture stays the same as when you first cook them. I like them just warmed up with salt,pepper, and a little butter.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, that is great to know you can freeze. I wonder if you can still pickle them after they have been frozen? I don't know why you couldn't, I may try that this year.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  07:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Would you share you pickle recipe Please.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  07:49:21 AM  Show Profile
I am makin beet jelly with mine! I only need the juice after I boil them for that. So, any suggestions for the cooked beets? What do I do with them and how do I put them up?

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  10:43:56 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking fall this morning...Those late summer smells and sounds were reminding me that my favorite season is just around the corner! It is amazing what sounds and smells can conjoure up. MmmMmm, and beets would sure do the trick too!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  06:50:58 AM  Show Profile
I love roasting them. Pell, cut in chunks and toss with olive oil and some spices and roast for about 20 minutes. Yummmm
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic beets are my autumn smell... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page