Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitting with Children
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting with Children Next Topic  

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile
I found circular knitting needles at Hancock Fabrick on sale 75% off. I had been wanting to use the Waldorf education philosophy in part. Knitting is started very young for boys and girls. It helps to make stronger connections between the two halves of the brain. I was able to get 5 sets for the children for 2-3 dollars a piece and the pair that I got for my niece were wooden. I've started teaching them basic cast on and knit stitches. I would like for them to have a quick easy project to give them a sense of accomplishment and motivation to learn more. The smallest thing I have done is a dishcloth. 4 of the 5 are boys so I'll need something that's not too girly. Any ideas?

Christy

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  07:35:07 AM  Show Profile
My little boys LOVE pockets that they can keep "treasures" (read: rocks, sticks, etc.) in. What about having them knit a rectangle and stitching up the sides for a pocket? You could even fold it in thirds and flop the top third over and add a button or tie closure. That sounds like such a fun thing to do...

I think I might teach my oldest one to knit. How old do you start them?

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  07:45:59 AM  Show Profile
Along the same thoughts as Libbie, you could have them knit two small squares and sew up 3.5 sides, fill with beans and sew the rest of the way. Something for them to toss around. Boys and girls alike will have fun with beanbags. And they will learn the basic stitches plus seam sewing. Great idea teaching them young. How old are these youngsters? My oldest boys is 4.5 and although I know he would love to learn, I just don't think he has the dexterity yet for knitting.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile
I have raised and taught boys and the first project we would work on is a catch all bag. I would have then knit just a oblong how ever big or small they wanted. Then showed them how to sew of crochet the sides together. Then we would felt it - they love the water and bubbles... Then when it is dry I would show them how to do a running stich with a leather lace and in no time they had a bag to take out with on their adventures into the woods, parks or just back yards... My two sons still have and use their's and they are in their mid twenties. What is great about the bags, is they will hold rocks, frogs or even a snack - hopefully they wont put the snack and the frog together unless you have boys like mine....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  08:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Hee, hee, Grace! Mine would DEFINITELY put the frog in with the treats!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  10:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. I love the treasure pocket idea!

Libbie, The boys are 3, 5, 6 and 6. The girl is 7. The 3 and 5 yr olds are just getting used to holding the needles.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  10:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, Grace...will print that out for Violet. I have PLENTY of scraps and bits that she can knit when older, to her hearts content. What fun to look forward to!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  12:00:59 PM  Show Profile
Beanbags and marble bags were my first thoughts. Even my girls did beanbags for their first projects.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile
I remember knitting a stuffed lion in my first grade class and I recall loving it. We got to choose from a couple of different lion colors and could customize how long the mane would be. My lion had a short mane that stood up. I thought it was very cool and treasured it until it fell apart.

The lions were knit flat, then seamed and stuffed with wool. They were pretty awesome to play with too -- fearsome! I think as a kid, it was great to be able to make a toy.

Way to go teaching the kids to knit!

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting with Children Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page