Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 What are you reading? week of July 25
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? week of July 25 Next Topic  

Morning
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Laura
Albuquerque NM
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  07:00:53 AM  Show Profile
Thought I would start us a new thread for this week. I can't wait to see what everyone is reading now.

Here is mine:
1. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller Definitely not a book that I would have picked but it is for my book club. I'm not that far into it and so far I'm not liking it very much. But then I'm not a huge fan of war novels.

2. Emile - Rousseau #25/1001

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  09:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Wow...I have read more in the last 10-days than I have in the past six months! Didn't think I would pick up another book for a while after finishing Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Allan Gurganus---Only 718 pages! But I did and finished The Used World by author Haven Kimmel last night---Her first book was called "A Girl Named Zippy"---I LOVED them both!

This morning I finished Motherland-Beyond the Holocaust-A Mother Daughter Journey to Reclaim the Past by Fern Schumer Chapman about a little Jewish girl who is part of the Kindertransport program evacuating children from Germany in World War II-Heartwrenching book but so worth the read!! I contacted the author's blog late last night and let her know that I was enthralled with the book and she responded this morning with a promise that when she is on one of her many speaking engagements she would let me know when she would be in my area and to come and chat with her!

I never read two books at once-but have a tendency to cluster
read one after another at a stretch---

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  10:49:41 AM  Show Profile
I just finished 2 books this past week on vaca.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson and then Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas.

I am now starting Miranda's Big Mistake by Jill Mansell.

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  1:18:43 PM  Show Profile
I am reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
and finished up Garden Spells.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

907 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
907 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  10:48:05 AM  Show Profile
I just finished "Aloha Quilt" and started Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace. Only a few pages in but it looks like it will be pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  11:02:44 AM  Show Profile
I am reading "The Hemingses of Monticello" about the slave family from the beginning of their "inception" on this continent in the late 1600's to, ultimately, Sally Hemings who became Thomas Jefferson's live in "love" after his wife passed. It's a fascinating history of an African family and their rise to "almost" being free blacks in Pre Revolutionary and post Revolutionary America.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  4:05:59 PM  Show Profile
I finished Betty MacDonald's autobiography - for the most part a hoot!

I'm still reading This Organic Life by Joan Dye Gussow and really like it.

Under the Net by Iris Murdoch is the second book I'm reading.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  4:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Of Bees and Mist: A Novel by Erik Setiawan. It's got a Ray Bradbury / Tanith Lee feel to it. A multi-layered mystery slowly revealed with ornate detail that could be set anywhere and anytime. And Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search and Rescue Dog by Susannah Charleson. That this woman, who already takes in abused Pomeranians (her one non-rescue Pom is a certified emotional therapy dog and is a web star! check out http://thepiratepom.com/index.html?main.htm&2) from rescue shelters would then go and spend her own time, energy and money obtaining and training a Golden Lab to be become a live person search dog and volunteer without recompense to go anywhere in the country they are needed to search for lost people is amazing. The actual work depends as much on the handler being able to interpret what the dog is trying to 'say' about the scent trail as it does the dog's ability to pick up and follow one. And if you're a total dog wuss like me it will have you alternately laughing and crying and sometimes doing both at the same time to the point your family will think you're completely gone mentally.

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Lorie- What did you think of Girl with a Dragon Tatoo?

I just finished The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig and am taking short break from that series to read The Help. I am a couple of chapters in.

Farmgirl Sister #37
http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  3:15:04 PM  Show Profile
I just finished The Secret Life of Bees. I'm reading The Voyage Out, by Virginia Woolf, along with lots of books recommended on MaryJane's resource page. My husband keeps saying, "I love this book" and "we have to by this book" ha ha ha! I am also reading How to Handle Adversity, by Charles F. Stanley (while walking on my treadmill).

Visit my blog sites:

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  03:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Kristina, You referred to a book list on MaryJane's Resource Page. What did you mean and where is it? Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  04:14:33 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I started a book I received as a ROAK :)
It is called : The Journals of Lewis and Clark.
From what I have read so far, it is VERY interesting.

I am and always have been in USA history, the pioneer ages etc. Unfortunately NO such books here so when I received the ROAK from Emsmommy5, I was VERY HAPPY!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  10:12:36 AM  Show Profile
Amy,
The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo was O.K., however, it is very "dark" in some chapters especially towards the end, so if you decide to read it be prepared. I haven't seen the movie and I don't know if I want to.
I think I had my expectations a little too high before I read it because of all the reviews about it so I was a little disappointed. Have you ever have that happen to you?

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  4:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Carol Burnetts book This time together, and started the autobiography of Elenor Roosevelt, a woman I find most interesting. also reading the Rose Wilder books about their house inteh Ozarks, never read them am on book 3
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  9:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Reading This Organic Life and listening to The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest(third book of the Dragon Tattoo girl)on my iPod.
I liked the first book the best of the series. I agree there are some really dark parts in all of the books. Look at the subject matter. But I find Lisbeth Salander to be a fascinating character.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  07:33:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Lorie. I had that happen to me with The Friday Night Knitting Club. I actually checked out The Girl with the DragonTattoo and never got around to reading it. I think I was in more of a chick-lit kinda mood at the time.

Farmgirl Sister #37
http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  3:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Just finished This Organic Life for the MJF online book discussion. Listening to Sarah's Key (not loving it yet), and started Great Books. I love reading books about books--is that crazy? Dianne

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  6:23:04 PM  Show Profile
I am reading Almost Friends by Phillip Gulley. I love his humor!

farmgirl sister#43
"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  6:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Wading my way through a book called 46 pages about the life of Thomas Paine and his Common Sense pamphlet. Very good!
hugs
jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile
I love Phillip Gulley !
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  05:53:35 AM  Show Profile
I am reading the Twilight Saga. I normally wouldn't read this sort of thing, but I saw the movie (this time without knitting, so I paid attention) while on vacation, and realized what the buzz was about. Have now seen all three movies, and decided to read the books. Great summer reads, easy and fast. Read the first novel in a week, (they are about 500 pages or so each). Felt a little silly when I was told to go to the "Young Adult" section of the bookstore, but am so surprised how many other moms and friends of mine have already read them. Can't put them down. Found the other three at TJ Maxx for about $5 a piece. I am usually a history/biography reader, but these are certainly a fun diversion! I am definitely hooked, and want to read the last one before the next movie comes out.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  04:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, Don't feel silly. Every adult I know who read the Twilight series loved it. My 28 year old son in law read it! My older daughters keep trying to get me into it, but my "to-read" pile is so high, I haven't gotten around to it yet. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  2:41:02 PM  Show Profile
This week I'm reading The Secret Life of Bees for school, The Wednesday Sisters, and a teen book called Teen Inc. It's about this kid who was raised by a corporation and his daily life. It seems okay.
And Nicole, don't feel silly! My Mom hasn't read the books, but she keeps hindering me to finish Eclipse so that she can go see it!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? week of July 25 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page