smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  8:00:49 PM  Show Profile
y2k I stocked and lately realized I need to get back to doing that. We have begun to build up our supply once more. We use a tackle box for 1st aid kit and it is kept by the back door where we can grab it on way out if had too. Bottled water is a must if you have a well and no generator.
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  9:29:34 PM  Show Profile
hmm I feel aweful! I started stocking up last year and did really well for about 6 mo couponing and getting most everything free or very cheap and then I quit couponing and stocking and just have been living off my stash. My husband was giving me so much grief about how much i was buying (actually I didn't have to spend much with coupons or buying in bulk and splitting it with friends ect) so I quit and the other day when we were out of something he went to the pantry and got mad because me stockpile was gone. He didn't see the point back then but now that it is gone he wants it back. Men!!

I plan on taking inventory of what I do have and starting over. At least I don't have to worry about expiration dates right now hehe.

http://bikerbunniesrabbitry.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  01:27:45 AM  Show Profile
I do store lots of things. My freezers are full, and occasionally I make it a rule to only eat from what I have got stocked except for bread and milk,etc. for at least 2 weeks. About 5 years ago we had a major ice storm and was out of elec for 11 days. For 2 days we couldn't get out of our driveway because trees had fallen across it and we had no chain saw. We had kerosene lamps and candles and a kerosene stove that we cooked on. My house is all electric. I suggest that you have a back-up old dial up phone because portable ones won't work and instant coffee, canned soups. We lost everything in the freezers, kept it several days by packing in totes in the ice and snow, but finally lost it. We cooked what we could but you and dogs can only eat so much. Floyd cooked the best ham out side on the charcoal grill that I ever ate. We were without telephone for 8 days, too. Not I have plenty of candles, lamp oil, and batteries for flshlights and for our portable radio before winter comes, (Also have a chainsaw)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  09:47:45 AM  Show Profile
For those of you that live in areas with ice storms etc, and you lose power for days at a time, check into propane generators, no gasoline to store and go bad.Where my parents and other family members live, they had 3 yrs in a row of severe ice storms, so no power or phone for days, my parents invested in a propane generator, and are very happy with it, much cheaper to use, and starts much easier than gas on cold days.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  7:52:09 PM  Show Profile
We were hit by the ice storm on '89 but that was in the winter and with a woodstove and melting snow we were doing fine. Our freezer is in an enclosed outdoor area so we lost nothing but work hours.

In August early 2000's we went for four days without hydro due to a grid issue over our provenience and upper New York area. No snow to melt and freezer goods went bad. Watering livestock was a real issue.

All good lessons to learn. Be prepared! Anything could happen anywhere at anytime. My girlfriend now lives in England and they had a tremendous amount of snow last year blocking the whole city.She said trucks couldn't make it to grocery stores. They were lost and she now understands my cold cellar.

Marlyn

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wncmtnmama
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marilyn
Asheville NC
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  07:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Another thought on stocking up - get extra parts for your vehicles too - fan belts, filters, oil, brake fluid, brake pads, transmission fluid, fuses, whatever you can afford. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

We picked out 6 cute little chicks in April and we have 5 roosters and 1 hen - so that's meat for the freezer - gotta get more hens though !

I had a well stocked pantry, but we had a few rough months and pulled our supply down, but the garden is coming in now (zucchini, squash, cukes, okra, peas, tomatoes, mustard greens and swiss chard) and we are eating well and canning our extra. Rabbits ate all our green beans, so I've got to head to the farmer's market to get a hamper or two. I prefer canning to freezing since we have a lot of power outages during the winter (not necessarily due to snow, but to trees coming down on power lines).

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  09:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, grand idea, I would not have thought to stock up on vehical parts, and its a must if you live to far from town to walk.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile
bump

Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  4:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Really good info! Besides food & car parts I highly recommend medications. We were stuck in a massive snow storm. I had an asthma attack and luckily we had extra meds. Don't forget your animals ~ they need food too

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  7:33:11 PM  Show Profile
I was starting from point A when it came to stocking up. This can be an expensive endevor but then I decided to do baby steps and here is what I came up with.

A minimum of $10.00 per week of my grocery budget is going towards food items ( more if my actual food cost are less than budgeted)

A minimum of $10.00 per week towards meds, paper products ect.

So far I have one 5 gallon FDA approved pail of rice, 6 pds of beans, 2 pds of chicken base, 2 bottles of cooking oil, 5 packages of pasta, 1 jug of apple cider vinegar, 4 pds of salt, 2 bottles of asprin, 3 flashlights, 1 bottle of Benedryl, 3 bottles of Alcohol, & extra bandages. The local Everything Is A Dollar is a great place to stock up on some food items and lots of other things too.

I now feel like I am at least starting. This week will be more beans, canned tomatoes, & pasta!

Tammy ~
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  07:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, don't forget batteries for those flashlights!!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  08:31:16 AM  Show Profile
One thing I keep on hand is candles and fuel and wicks for my oil lamps. During an ice storm a few years ago that caused an extended power outage (5 days) I couldn't find any in the 2 towns closest to where I live. Luckily, I have neighbors who don't have electricity and they were willing to share their kerosene. I also have a large pantry that I keep stocked with the basics and since I cook most of our meals, its easy to keep it rotated and fresh.
We also keep a supply of ammo for our guns.

Our last power outage lasted 8 days and I had everything I needed without trying to get to town, and could go 2 or 3 months before needing to re-stock.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Remember to run your generator now and again. That way there will be no surprizes when you need it.

Have you seen where Horizon's organic milk can be stored on a shelf?? They are on sale 10 for 10 at Krogers.

I am learning all kinds of things moving into a hurricane prone area.

We got an LED lantern. It will run on D batteries for a month if you use it only five hours a day.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

minnie
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

minnie

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile
times are getting dangerous girls, if you don't already know, learn how to shoot a gun, and learn how to load and clean those that you have or will get. Even if you do not need to use them for protection, you may at some time need to put down an animal, due to an injury, or for butchering, or you may need to hunt. make sure the bullets are kept in a dry cool place, and they will keep for years that way.
Go to Top of Page

LethaDear
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Letha
Bowling Green MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  3:54:12 PM  Show Profile
We are stockers too. We have really started dehydrating veggies to store that way. Once they are totally dry we put them in vac pac bags.

We have also made ration buckets that are water and air tight. There is a mixture of dried beans, rice, salt, sugar, flour, wheat berries, corn meal, powdered milk, freeze dried meats, and powdered eggs. I wanted to buckets because I can lift them easily and they are easy to store away. Plus in case of emergency the bucket will be usefull too.

We also have medical buckets/personal items/ protable water purifiers. Also we have gotten and saved seeds and have them in the freezer just in case.

There are many things to really look into and it is daunting at first but the best thing to do is just get what you can, when you can and go from there.

Letha
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:30:46 PM  Show Profile
I just read all of your posts and have goosebumps all over.
Thanks for the wake up call !!
After katrina I just put the thought of stocking up for disasters out of my mind.. not any more, thanks girls!

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
http://southernplum.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  10:11:17 AM  Show Profile
There is a good chance that all of us will have to deal with natural, man made or an econimic disaster sometime during our life. The thought that my family may have to suffer because my husband and I did not prepare, is not something I am willing to risk. Food, water, medication, ect are all very important. I also highly recommend learning basic survival skills like gardening, food preservation, herbal medicine,ect...IF there was ever a long term disaster you would want to know how to do these things. Also many of these skills are being "lost". We are lucky that as "farmgirls" most of us know these basic skills. Consider sharing your knowledge with others!!

Tammy ~
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  11:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Even if there would not be a huge disaster in our lives, I feel as earthmama t has noted, that we can help our families economically if we use the resources God gave us to supplement our family's security. I am an old duffer and now retired. Now that I don't bring in a paycheck, I find that riding a bike(instead of using the car, gardening, preserving food, hanging clothes on the line (instead of using the dryer's electricity) etc, are ways I can bring to my household a "hidden" paycheck. When I worked, there were too many times, I got something from the store I could quickly fix. Now, I try to curtail cost by making most things from scratch. Also, I noted that many young women I worked with (nursing profession) used their salaries to buy boats, RV's, a trip to Mexico etc. Not that these things were bad in themselves, but they worked to pay things off that they had already enjoyed..trips...& worked overtime to keep the lake place, boat etc. My parents who grew up during the depression, learned to live on what they needed, not just all the things they wanted. There has to be a balance. I hope to really learn that too, & pass it on.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  5:26:35 PM  Show Profile
For those that don't know... wheat, sugar, and chocolate have been skyrocketing in price and due to go up even more. COnsider adding those to your list of things to get sooner than later. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  05:22:18 AM  Show Profile
My husband is the one that has been stocking up. He has been buying rice and putting it in orange HD buckets, his idea is at least we can cook it just with water and nourishing. He has also been checking dates on cans, I have cans of food that some should last till 2013, also go in plastic storage boxes. We are going to start canning our own, and dehydrating.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  12:14:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for panrty recipes. Recipes that can be made from can or shelf items only. My family's current favorite is:
Taco soup
1 package taco soup seasoning
2-4 cups chicken broth
1 can corn
1 large can chopped tomato
2 cans of beans (I usually use 1 can black bean and 1 can pinto
about 1/4 cup dried onion.

I am working on a 3 month supply of meals that are pantry only meals. If I make this recipe now I add a pound of browned beef. The soup is great without the meat. Any recipes you can share is appreciated. Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  07:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Thank you Laura. I really appreciate the recipe that shows I have it all. Putting it in my collection now. BTW, I was at a Walmart Superstore yesterday and some of the flour & sugar shelves were empty. I realize that it is canning season, but I was still shocked. Also, for those who like to crochet or knit their own dish cloths, I love Walmart's Peaches and Cream cotton thread in CONES. They are a dollar off from what you would pay at the Peaches/Cream web site. Great little gifts.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  9:28:14 PM  Show Profile
My family moved a lot when I was growing up and we lived through just about every natural disaster there is - hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes. One thing you have to have plenty of is water for your animals as well as your family. Also, iodine to purify it if need be. It was awful not to have water. I have a first aid kit I could practically do surgery with! Get a good first aid book to keep with your kit. Lots of beans, rice, pasta, sugar, flours, honey, peanut or other nut butters, tomato sauce, dried fruits, etc. Now we live in an eartquake zone and mostly i pray that i can get home if it hits in my lifetime. I do an inventory every January and make sure everything is still in good shape. I swap the water out at the end of the summer, use the old stuff to water trees and refill the jars. it doesn't matter as much for the animals, they don't seem to care much what they drink, as long as it's clean. Also handy is one of those flashlights that doesn't need batteries and a good pair of scissors for your first aid kit.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Stocking up on food items Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page